Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was riding and I found out that all the packing is blowing out my Hmf slip on. I don't wanna buy a new one so I wanna repack it but don't wanna send it to the Hmf repack service. But I'm having a hard time finding a pack kit for it or a packing that will fit it. So I was wondering if anyone had a link to a pack kit or a packing kit that would work for it. Anything would be greatly appreciated because I don't really wanna buy a new one. Thanks in advanced

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,352 Posts
HMF won’t sell a repack kit. According to them, so many people mess up repacking their exhaust and then blame it on HMF and it has caused a lot of problems for them. So they only offer a send in service. It’s really not that expensive though.

It really amazes me there are that many people that aren’t capable of repacking exhaust properly.

·
Cane Rider!
1,270 Posts
So I was wondering if anyone had a link to a pack kit or a packing kit that would work for it. Anything would be greatly appreciated because I don't really wanna buy a new one. Thanks in advanced

This is the good stuff. Measure your can. Get the proper size. Don't over pack. Just a nice firm roll. Good riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This is the good stuff. Measure your can. Get the proper size. Don't over pack. Just a nice firm roll. Good riding.
Thank you! To measure it do I have to take it all apart first or can I measure it while on the quad still?

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,352 Posts
I dunno, every pipe I’ve taken apart and packed has been packed fairly tight. Look at the pillow packing from DASA, it goes in pretty tight. The packing from Yoshimura comes in loose strands so you can pack it in tightly with a rod.

Also, I recommend wrapping the core with steel wool packing first, that will make the pipe a bit quieter and help the regular packing last longer.

Also, not that I don’t think it’s a great thing to learn how to pack a pipe yourself and save a few bucks, but HMF charges $60 to clean your pipe up, inspect it, repack it, put it together using the right rivets and hardware, and they even throw a new badge on it. Not too bad of a deal. . . . .

·
Cane Rider!
1,270 Posts
Thank you! To measure it do I have to take it all apart first or can I measure it while on the quad still?
No need to take it apart. Just measure the length of the can's cylinder. Order the longest one to be sure. It's not hard to repack. Go on youtube, there are a zillion how to's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno, every pipe I’ve taken apart and packed has been packed fairly tight. Look at the pillow packing from DASA, it goes in pretty tight. The packing from Yoshimura comes in loose strands so you can pack it in tightly with a rod.

Also, I recommend wrapping the core with steel wool packing first, that will make the pipe a bit quieter and help the regular packing last longer.

Also, not that I don’t think it’s a great thing to learn how to pack a pipe yourself and save a few bucks, but HMF charges $60 to clean your pipe up, inspect it, repack it, put it together using the right rivets and hardware, and they even throw a new badge on it. Not too bad of a deal. . . . .
Oh wow that's actually really reasonable for what it is I might just do that. Thanks for the info!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts