Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to try to unbolt my front plastics off for the first time..the ones that connect to the gas tank..to check my spark plug and everything kept spinning..Its like the whole thing is stripped not the bolt but the gas tank or w/e thats holding those bolts are stripped or something..Im bringing it to dealer next tuesday but I cant see how anyone is going to get these bolts out unless they chop off the plastics or something.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
You may try to wedge a screwdriver under the edge of the plastic and put pressure on the nutsert. After you get the bolts out, you'll need to get some two stage epoxy and reset the nutserts. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
Went to try to unbolt my front plastics off for the first time..the ones that connect to the gas tank..to check my spark plug and everything kept spinning..Its like the whole thing is stripped not the bolt but the gas tank or w/e thats holding those bolts are stripped or something..Im bringing it to dealer next tuesday but I cant see how anyone is going to get these bolts out unless they chop off the plastics or something.[/b]

where those bolt in there are brass inserts into the gas tank, and they spin if they are not taken out and put some never seize on them when you first get em

everyone i know has had atleast one of those botls lock up

heres how i fixed mine i took a drill with a 8mm socket on it and stuck it on the bolt and just spun the piss outta it until it got hot enough to pull out the brass piece from the gas tank

then i took some pliers and gripped the brass piece and then un-screwed the bolt from it, then put the brass piece back in the hole and epoxied it in there, let it dry and tapped it back out so its like new and put some never seize back in it before i put the bolt back in it

but i have heard of dealers replacing gas tanks because of this if the quad is new enough

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to try to unbolt my front plastics off for the first time..the ones that connect to the gas tank..to check my spark plug and everything kept spinning..Its like the whole thing is stripped not the bolt but the gas tank or w/e thats holding those bolts are stripped or something..Im bringing it to dealer next tuesday but I cant see how anyone is going to get these bolts out unless they chop off the plastics or something.[/b]

where those bolt in there are brass inserts into the gas tank, and they spin if they are not taken out and put some never seize on them when you first get em

everyone i know has had atleast one of those botls lock up

heres how i fixed mine i took a drill with a 8mm socket on it and stuck it on the bolt and just spun the piss outta it until it got hot enough to pull out the brass piece from the gas tank

then i took some pliers and gripped the brass piece and then un-screwed the bolt from it, then put the brass piece back in the hole and epoxied it in there, let it dry and tapped it back out so its like new and put some never seize back in it before i put the bolt back in it

but i have heard of dealers replacing gas tanks because of this if the quad is new enough
[/b]

Omg..Thanks guys! I REAAAALLLY appreciate it..My quads like 3 weeks old so if they didnt replace the gas tank they woulda charged me 70$ to fix it..Imma try what you guys suggested hope it works, cuz im ordering my exhaust and jet kit today, Will need it off soon :) , again thanks! Also as im totally retarded to this stuff...Lemme review

So i somehow get it out..*probly using above methods* then epoxy that brass peice back in the hole..then put never seize on the bolt then screw it back in..voila?

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
You may try to wedge a screwdriver under the edge of the plastic and put pressure on the nutsert. After you get the bolts out, you'll need to get some two stage epoxy and reset the nutserts. Good luck.[/b]

haha you said nutsert lmao

anyways goodluck and dont drill through the gas tank lmao

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may try to wedge a screwdriver under the edge of the plastic and put pressure on the nutsert. After you get the bolts out, you'll need to get some two stage epoxy and reset the nutserts. Good luck.[/b]

[/b]
Thanks, Imma try your method if i can get a socket for my drill..dont have one..and just epoxy it and put anti seize.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts

[/b]
Thanks, Imma try your method if i can get a socket for my drill..dont have one..and just epoxy it and put anti seize.
[/b]

i bought a set of socket things (forgot tech term lol) that your socket goes on that goes in a drill at walmart for like 5 bucks it had 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive definatly worth it

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE(mwsartain @ Jul 15 2008, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=531133
<div class='quotemain'>You may try to wedge a screwdriver under the edge of the plastic and put pressure on the nutsert. After you get the bolts out, you'll need to get some two stage epoxy and reset the nutserts. Good luck.[/b]

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

i bought a set of socket things (forgot tech term lol) that your socket goes on that goes in a drill at walmart for like 5 bucks it had 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive definatly worth it
[/b][/quote]

Bah double post..see next post >.<

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE(mwsartain @ Jul 15 2008, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=531133
<div class='quotemain'>You may try to wedge a screwdriver under the edge of the plastic and put pressure on the nutsert. After you get the bolts out, you'll need to get some two stage epoxy and reset the nutserts. Good luck.[/b]

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Well if i dont have one or the neighbors dont..I will def go buy one..cuz the cost of buying that is definatly better than the dealer fixing it. Btw, what is holding that brass peice onto the gas tank? Is it like glued on or something..cuz if its spinning whats stopping it from just sliding out?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just get JB-Weld from any auto parts store, hardware store walmart should have it that will work for the nut sert.[/b]

Just went got some 2 stage epoxy for plastic. Just gotta try to get that thing out now.. Im still under warranty but i dont want to give the dealership my bike for like a month..as there not too fast.. and it would seem like they would replace the gas tank and then itd just happen again. So imma try this.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This time when you put the new bolts in just dont over tighten them and you should be fine.[/b]

Cool, and i dunno if i shuld get anti seize..craps expensive...could i put like grease or wd40 on them?

G

·
I dont use anti-seize on mine i just tighten them lightly and i have never had a problem with having to loosen them up when i need to service the bike and remove the tank.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont use anti-seize on mine i just tighten them lightly and i have never had a problem with having to loosen them up when i need to service the bike and remove the tank.[/b]

Aight cool..I hope i know what "lightly" is..Im always paranoid of some bolt flying out when im riding heh. Im still contemplating how to get it out...How did u say u wedged a screw driver into it?

·
Solid Gold DASA500R!
4,924 Posts
this happenend on my 05 and i left it this way for like two years because i didn't feel like messing with it. one day it got into my head that i wanted that fixed so i did. i ripped off the plastic, sawed the bolt off, then put epoxy on the brass little crapy thing. ten mins later it was fixed and the i wished i would have fixed it sooner.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can check the spark plug without taking th plastics or tank off. There is enough room to fit the tool that came with your 450 in there. It takes a little finessing, but it will fit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts