Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying my quad is a 2008 ER. I bought it used but the guy hadn't even put an entire tank of gas through it. It looked absolutely brand new in every aspect. It was completely stock, so I know the history of all of the mods. My quad now only has about 15 or 20 hours on it. I installed my hotcam stage 2 yesterday and drained the oil. Today after work I added non synthetic oil, put the tank on and went to start it and do my break in procedure. Before I installed the cam, my quad had no problems whatsoever starting. It always started instantly, cold, hot, every time. I tried to start it today and it took about 15 seconds or so and finally started. So like hotcams said I took the rpm straight to around 3000 rpm. I was going to do 30 minutes of break in. I was going to do 10 minutes stationary with a fan blowing on it and then lightly ride it for the last 15 to 20 minutes keeping it around that same rpm. After it ran for about 30 or 45 seconds, it cut off. I removed the valve cover to inspect and manually turned over the engine via the crankcase hole. Everything spun freely and looked fine. I put the valve cover back on and tried to start it again. It just turned over and over and wouldn't start. I removed my spark plug and checked the spark and it looked fine. I know the carb or nothing is clogged because I just rode the quad a week ago and have rode it 3 or 4 times this year already and didn't have a problem with it starting or running poorly. So I decided to look at the compression. I did a compression test, or a decompression test I guess you could say. After letting it spin over for around 5 to 8 seconds, it was maxed out at around 38 psi. This was with the throttle closed and I didn't try it at wide open throttle. I'm assuming this is low and it should be around 55-65 like the 06-07? I checked the valves cold with the stock cam and they were perfect. I rechecked with the hotcam and they still seemed to be right on the money. I decided to put the stock cam back in and do a decompression test to compare. The stock cam gave the same results, maxing out around 38 psi. That's where I'm at right now. Can anybody help? I just don't know why the decompression is that low and why it randomly cut off like that. I also started it one other time and it did the same thing? You think since I had turned the idle up like that, it just ran for a little and then flooded itself? The only other mod I have done since it had ran is added a HRC head pipe. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Have you had the recall of the decompressor done? The little pin on the decompressor that sticks into counter weigh breaks. Do a search for pics

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think its been done but I guess I can call a dealership tomorrow and see. That still shouldn't affect my quad starting if its not physically broke right now should it? I could understand if the decompression was too high bc the decompression wasn't working right but I don't understand it being down around 38 or 40.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thats just it... if decompressor, thats inside of cam, fails the bike wont start anymore due to low compression. And now the stock cam wont start anymore since your using the same decompressor for both

The absolute best solution is to get rid of auto decompresser and get 06/07 style manual decompressor with cam tower

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea but then I'd have to buy all the stock parts, plus try and sell my hotcam to buy a 06/07 one. Not saying you're wrong, but if the decompressor fails, I would think the pin wouldn't go up to open the exhaust valve a little, which would cause your compression to be too high and it wouldn't crank. I'm assuming my 08 should have the same as a 06/07? 55ish to 70ish? Should I have this value at closed throttle or wide open throttle?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i have an 08 er with a ht 2 and we used the a new decompresor. also make shore that the hot cam is the one for er. er and r are different. you need part # 1106-2. on mine i didnt do the break in like you did. i change the the oil and went for a 2hr trail ride.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea the sheet that came with it said 1106-2. I called a dealership this morning and gave them my VIN to check for the decompressor recall and they said it looks like everything was up to date and there were no open recalls.

·
Registered
86 Posts
well i bet the decomp is the problem i had nothing but problem with mine when i put it in

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I read it. I actually posted in there because I had the same problem you did with the decompression rod not fitting inside the cam. Mine was so bad though it wouldn't even start to go in. I sent it to hotcams and the said they took it out of the box and theirs dropped right in. Then when I got it back mine miraculously fit. I guess they are just trying to cover it up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i just wonder if its retracting like it should...if it is getting stuck itll hold the exhaust valve open and that would cause your issue..were you able to spin the shaft freely when it was in the cam with out the cam gear on?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just wonder if its retracting like it should...if it is getting stuck itll hold the exhaust valve open and that would cause your issue..were you able to spin the shaft freely when it was in the cam with out the cam gear on?
Yea after I got it back from hotcams it spun freely inside the cam. I don't think the pin that pushes the exhaust valve ever retracts until the engine starts. It looks like that counter weight is pushed out by centrifugal force when the cam is spinning faster like at idle or when running the quad. Maybe my compression gauge is just crap and that's not an accurate reading unless that sounds about right for cold. The service manual says check it after running the quad for 10 minutes so I don't know how much it would increase with it being warm or hot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey derekd after you got the cam back how did it do after you installed it? I'm having simular issues as well but mines not wanting to crank over very fast with the stage 2 cam but I can install the stock and it'll crank over just fine, any suggestions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts