Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I was cruising around town, and my bike started sputtering and randomly died.. When I try to crank, all i get is the relay click.. My battery is full charged.. All was good before.. nothing noticed.

Still doesn't crank with the plug out.. Transmission shifts fine but when it's in gear with the rear wheels off the ground.. it seems jammed up since I can't even get the motor to turn? Sorry if that sounds dumb but is the motor supposed to turn over abit when i turn the wheels in gear??

HELP! :crying:

·
Registered
566 Posts
What gear are you in?

I find first gear will normally lock up rear tires without the clutch being engaged. But 5th gear will allow tires to spin, this is when pulling, I don't know if you would ever be able to get motor to turn over manually by turning the rear tires, even in 5th gear.

·
Truck Yea
5,281 Posts
2 things come to mind:

-Bad trans, which is unlikely.

-Blown engine/bad crank, all to common.

Friend had the same thing happen, riding fine and just died. Crank locked up.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
What he said !!
The crank seem to have locked up.
Remove the oil filter and check for glitter.
Remove the clutch side plug, take a 8mm ratchet and try to turn it by hand, it should move with a single hand holding at the pivot of the ratchet, about 10 lbs of torque.
If your eyes are bleeding you are trying too hard !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep... seems to be the crank :(

Me and a friend got everything lined up for the surgery.. just gotta drain coolant and oil and a few quick things..

I don't wanna spend a crazy amount of $$ on this but what should I check\replace while the engine will be split open besides the crank?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry to here. Ive been there. And thousand before you.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yeah they have a limited lifespan, price for the performance I guess.
There are 3 bearings that ate metal shavings, the 2 mains and the left balancer, the oil pump rotor will probably be damaged, new crank oil feed seal (on the stator cover), new crank seal, careful it goes inside out from the crankcase on the 06.
Then there is the cylinder and piston that will be scored, you can be lucky there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone has the time to tell me which part numbers I will need to rebuild the crank that would be great :) and also other preventative maintenance items....

Keeping it stock for maximum reliability

·
Truck Yea
5,281 Posts
Replace the following:
-Timing chain
-Timing chain tensioner
-Crank/Crank bearings obviously
-Check out your clutch/basket, might as well do it if its worn.
-Piston/valves
-Might as well port the head too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replace the following:
-Timing chain
-Timing chain tensioner
-Crank/Crank bearings obviously
-Check out your clutch/basket, might as well do it if its worn.
-Piston/valves
-Might as well port the head too.
thanks.. Your signature is good motivation lol

·
Truck Yea
5,281 Posts
thanks.. Your signature is good motivation lol
You are welcome.

I know it sucks it blew, but such as the way it goes with these. I dont cheap out on these machines, reason being is you just never know what the weak point will be. Fix it right and it will give you a better chance something isnt gonna break. Seen more than a few cheapo ebay topend kits destroy peoples stuff.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Good luck on the rebuild, get a manual and follow to a T and you will be fine. Good idea to check the tranny gears for wear too while it's apart...that's another place where the 06+ likes to blow apart.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hmm so tempting!!

06+ TRX450R TRX 450ER 99 mm 510 Big Bore Stroker Motor Engine Rebuild Repair Kit

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had an 07 trx450er that either died on me or refused to start. ended up being the starter clutch and from what ive heard, that's not uncommon for the 2007's. compression ratio 12;1

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did your engine spin freely tho? My starter gear got replaced a year ago thankfully..

Im ready to tear her open

1 - 16 of 16 Posts