Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
07 trx450er
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got the opportunity to buy a low hour and garaged 2007 450ER. It needs a full service, new air filter, some new shoes. complete cleaning of the carb and I think I may have a winner. Not sure what the plan for this is, maybe I will keep it stock, or big 3 or maybe a full blown LT Desert Rat. I am hoping to figure it out as I go along. This should be a blast in the dunes and on the trail. This is now my third quad and I may have a problem, luckily my wife is understanding of my issues.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Sky

Totally different feel than my clapped out Raptor
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

and it is a step up from my from LTZ400.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

It is nice to be part of the community.

· Registered
06 HRC cam new piston rings crank shaft cam chain sparks full exhaust uni filter many more bolt ons!
1,194 Posts
Welcome to the community Russel. I too am a quad junkie, i have an 06 and its my 5th. I had a 660 raptor (piece of junk) a 400ex and im on my 3rd 450. Ill send pics next week when i get it back from the shop. (Had to make two payments for the work) anyways it looks like you have a clean trx. You’re going to love the power with these high rev 450 motors. The four stroke motor has come along way since the 80s. Its always good to see new members, hopefully you stay for the long haul. Keep us posted on your plans for it. And if there’s any advice you need there’s plenty of knowledgeable guys on this site.

· Registered
06 HRC cam new piston rings crank shaft cam chain sparks full exhaust uni filter many more bolt ons!
1,194 Posts
My only suggestion would be a full exhaust new air intake and jet kit. But you know this already. If you make it a long travel dunner, send step by step pics. I’m from the north east and we do not have deserts out here lol but I would love to turn mine into a Duner and ride places like glamis. But i dont have that luxury. So I live my life vicariously through the guys that do have duners 😂. Have fun bro. Live to ride and ride to live.

Reactions: Mr. Lew

· Registered
07 trx450er
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the community Russel. I too am a quad junkie, i have an 06 and its my 5th. I had a 660 raptor (piece of junk) a 400ex and im on my 3rd 450. Ill send pics next week when i get it back from the shop. (Had to make two payments for the work) anyways it looks like you have a clean trx. You’re going to love the power with these high rev 450 motors. The four stroke motor has come along way since the 80s. Its always good to see new members, hopefully you stay for the long haul. Keep us posted on your plans for it. And if there’s any advice you need there’s plenty of knowledgeable guys on this site.
Thank you for the nice welcome and yes I many questions to ask but they will come with time.

· Registered
07 trx450er
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only suggestion would be a full exhaust new air intake and jet kit. But you know this already. If you make it a long travel dunner, send step by step pics. I’m from the north east and we do not have deserts out here lol but I would love to turn mine into a Duner and ride places like glamis. But i dont have that luxury. So I live my life vicariously through the guys that do have duners 😂. Have fun bro. Live to ride and ride to live.
Yes, I know Cali has screwed up politics but the riding out here is just awesome. I am 2 hours from ridding at 7000ft in high alpine, 4 hours away from Sand Mountain, Nevada and 5 hours to the Mojave Desert I love ridding here. I bought a new jet kit and will be contacting Paul at Monster (he lives a few mins from my house) for a new setup. I have used him for all of my bikes. I have noticed that Monster exhaust does not does not have a strong following on this site like Dasa does. While Dasa is a sound product I like to keep my money local, does the monster pipes not perform with the 450 motor or would you consider the it one of the elite exhaust products for the Honda? Thanks in advance for answering my first real question.

· Truck Yea
6,119 Posts
monster is a good exhaust,t hey just dont have the exposure like dasa does. reality is dasa, empire monster, rossier and hmf all are within tenths of a horsepower of eachother depending on the build. me, i have a dasa cause i love the sound, very deep

· Registered
1,194 Posts
I don’t have much experience with the monster exhaust but from what I’ve seen and heard they are one of the elite exhaust companies out there. So whether you put a dasa or monster on your quad, its about the same. I have a sparks full exhaust and love it. But i would change it for a dasa and or monster any day. And I envy you guys that live in mid to northern California you guys have so many different types of writing you can drive to. I would love to make it out there someday.

· Making HP ain’t free. . .
5,010 Posts
Welcome! That quad is definitely nice and clean, and looks to be pretty low hours on it. The other machines look good too. That “clapped out” Raptor sure doesn’t look clapped out lol.

Just my personal recommendation, I would build one machine for a certain type of terrain, and anther for a different type of terrain. My experience is that it’s too hard to have a machine that does everything. around here, a +.5” front end is about all you want to do for the tight woods trails, but in the dunes you want like a +2”. Plus, you want a long swingarm for dunes, short for trails, taller for trails, lower for dunes, etc. Granted I’ve brought my trail quad to the dunes numerous times and I or others have ridden it and it works fine, but just not as good as the wide quad.

· Registered
07 trx450er
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome! That quad is definitely nice and clean, and looks to be pretty low hours on it. The other machines look good too. That “clapped out” Raptor sure doesn’t look clapped out lol.

Just my personal recommendation, I would build one machine for a certain type of terrain, and anther for a different type of terrain. My experience is that it’s too hard to have a machine that does everything. around here, a +.5” front end is about all you want to do for the tight woods trails, but in the dunes you want like a +2”. Plus, you want a long swingarm for dunes, short for trails, taller for trails, lower for dunes, etc. Granted I’ve brought my trail quad to the dunes numerous times and I or others have ridden it and it works fine, but just not as good as the wide quad.
Yeah that is how I like it. Keep the bling to minimum, use top shelf stuff and setup everything to my style of ridding. It is a full blown 70hp/54tq 734 big bore duner with all of the bells and whistles, ported and built from the ground up by Jeff at OCP (Oregon Coast Powersports) and while the suspension is OEM it is very surprising how capable it is when you set it up properly. My hope is I can tune this 450 suspension in the same way or get away with a revalving by Kevin at Jocaga Suspension Works. I hope I can turn my 450 into something as fun as my Raptor but I do not need another duner that is why I am unsure the the direction I am taking this thing. Right now I am leaning towards desert build but the plan is to to have my kids and I ride it for a couple months, then go from there.

· Registered
23 Posts
Yeah that is how I like it. Keep the bling to minimum, use top shelf stuff and setup everything to my style of ridding. It is a full blown 70hp/54tq 734 big bore duner with all of the bells and whistles, ported and built from the ground up by Jeff at OCP (Oregon Coast Powersports) and while the suspension is OEM it is very surprising how capable it is when you set it up properly. My hope is I can tune this 450 suspension in the same way or get away with a revalving by Kevin at Jocaga Suspension Works. I hope I can turn my 450 into something as fun as my Raptor but I do not need another duner that is why I am unsure the the direction I am taking this thing. Right now I am leaning towards desert build but the plan is to to have my kids and I ride it for a couple months, then go from there.
Nice 450 I got little Sahara about 3hrs from me thinking about making a trip out there but would like to get some paddles first that way I can enjoy the sand.

· TRX450r.org Sponsor
1,571 Posts
That's a nice 450ER for being 16 years old! I'd understand keeping it stock for nostalgia purposes considering it's still rocking the factory tires. However, once you do one mod it's going to be a slippery slope to "desert rat"! You can't go wrong with LT suspension! Welcome to the forum!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts