Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself. Life long honda guy, started riding on a 86 trx fourtrax 125. Had that thing from brand new until the late 90s. Must have seized that thing three times! Always started again after a while. In 99 I bought a brand new 2000 400ex that I still own today. Still runs great with a Big gun slip on, K&N and open airbox. Put some graydon nerfs and front bumper on it back in the day, still rockin em. I also have a 99 400ex with a white bros 440 kit and cam, DMC alien duel exhaust and the same graydon parts, and a 69 honda cd 175 motorcycle. Graydon parts were always my favorite from the hours of time I spent pouring over 3&4 wheel action and dirt wheels back in the day. When Marty Hart & Gary Denton ruled the scene. Then I got sidetracked on Rx-7s for a long time.. Well I recently picked up a 07 450er for myself and have been spending my time fixing on that. Quad was in descent shape, a lot of road miles and questionable maintenance, pretty sure they had no Idea how to clean or wrench. Man how things have changed over the years, guess times are hard for aftermarket a.t.v parts. Lotta junk out there. So far I have replaced about every bearing in the thing, rebuilt the carb, new plastics,(red to white) new rubber, driveline, Lonestar axle and a bunch of cleaning. well Im getting kinda long on this so anyway happy wheelin!

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,672 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you got some nice machines! Post some pics if you can. I thought I knew most brands of parts, but not familiar with Graydon stuff. Yeah, the ATV market has changed a lot, good parts are crazy expensive, and the affordable parts are pure junk. And here‘s something crazy, ITP, who used to be the best and biggest wheel and tire manufacturer for quads now only makes one wheel for sport quads, and it’s a cheap, cast aluminum, made in China piece of junk. Who would’ve ever thought that would be the case? You still have an RX-7 around?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh hoser, Yea Graydon Proline was like the sauce back in the day, they must have closed up in the mid 00s or

something. Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
As far as the Rx-7, I sold that on B.A.T. in April. It was getting to be worth to much to do anything with other than rub with a diaper.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
So it is pretty amazing how crappy some of the parts out there are now. just picked up an A/C grab bar, the freakin intergrated exhaust mount didn't line up very well. upon alerting them they messaged " I have an idea, why dont you ship it back, and we can send you an 05 style. I said " I have an Idea, why dont I just cut it off and use the mount from my Alba grab bar, saving me the cost of shipping"? Needless to say they weren't very helpful after that. Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Anyway, made it work with some some modificos, funny the number plate they sent with it doesn't even fit between the rails, so that's nice. Its coming along, did a valve adjustment friday night, the dude I bought if from said he had just had it done. I couldn't even get a feeler between the intake clutch side. Upon disassembly there were brand new hotcams shims in there alright. 1.75s under the intakes, yikes! So i took care of that. I'm running .020 intake clearance now, which is a bit much, but it was that or .015 is about perfect, I think want to check it after a couple of hours and see where its at.. Anyway here are some after purchase pics.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Light
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

These are some pics as to where it at now, It's been together and apart a few times already, pretty much everything chassis related is done. save for powdercoating and A arms.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle tire
t
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

I've been playing with ceracoating also.

Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle tire Crankset

I have some other weird stuff projects for next time if anyone is interested. Go wheelin!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to ORG! Nice to see an old fart like me, getting back into fo-wheelin, after a few years out of the sport.. I was 33yrs old, in late 2001, when I bought my first quad (a new 2002 Craptor 660, POS!!). Then sold it in 2003, and bought the 1st YFZ they got in stock at my local dealership. I raced XC on it for a few years, and finally upgraded to a 450r. Parked it in 2012, and pulled her out of storage in 2018, to run a few local races, as an old, out of shape 50+ year old!! Yikes!!!

You have a nice, clean platform to start modding!! Keep us updated on the progress!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I guess your only as old as you feel, for me some days are better than others. I have been fooling around with my 400ex lately. Just put a stage 2 hot cam in it and am breaking it in still. So soon I will be having an epic drag race between a 440 ex with a high compression (100 octane which sucks) piston, web cam, old school D.M.C. duel exhaust. A 400ex with a stock bore/piston, stage 2 hotcam, and a big gun e series slip on. Finally, everyone's favorite, (on this site anyway) a 450er with a a stock piston, cam and big gun e series slip on. All with open airbox, k&n filter and outerware box and filter covers and appropriate jetting. Maybe I should get a draggy box or an app. Probably just lay out an 1/8 mile and have a buddy time me. Anyway, pic time..
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

So this one has been coming along, went with white meir plastics and alba nerfs, (which are a freekin joke) and G.B.Cs. Along with a bunch of other stuff that costs money. I have my eye on a stage 2 cam, hrc head pipe and a shock revalve. Maybe some A arms.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Toy
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Also thinking about blowing it apart again and doing a gusset kit and fresh powder coating, seems ambitious though, then it will be to nice to ride and I'll be even more anal about it. Should probably start figuring out how to sell the usable parts I'm not gonna use, maybe a new years res to start actually selling stuff.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Anyway, happy wheelin! Happy new year! Oh and ride safe, don't be like the youtube Larrys without helmets and boots, and long pants, and socks. You know who they are...

·
4,672 Posts
Quads and car look good! Too bad you had to sell the RX-7. . . . I woulda had that thing at the track regularly!

Alba products are junk, same with a lot of the Tusk stuff. If you want decent nerfs, grab bars, bumpers, etc., look at Rath Racing, Teixeira Tech, Houser Racing, and there’s a couple more that aren’t coming to mind, otherwise you will not be happy with the cheap junk that’s out there.

That quad looks pretty good man, I’d wait till the frame starts getting wore before ripping it apart and Powdercoating it.

Did you get those valve clearances tightened up yet?

·
Truck Yea
5,796 Posts
looking good.

I tried maier once, they mount oddly in the rear with these brackets for the 450r so I have a red fender sitting there collecting dust. just didnt like the way they are set up.

The alba/tusk/rock brand nerfs are ok. I abused them on my old 400 no issue and slapped a set on my new to me 400. your quads super nice, too clean. I dont recall the last time mine looked like that lol

If your interested, I will buy the pro armor nerf bars if you dont want them and they arent damaged. They usually crack off the rear mount tab. Shipped to 08757 Let me know, just private message me here

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, about those nerfs... I sorta melted one of the heal plates by leaving it in a cardboard box I burned... Doh! I also cut off the subframe connectors because they vibrate and mess up the subframe. I think I will hold on to them for now, possibly blast em off and ceracoat them black again or polish them. They are a nice piece and messing with them was short sited of me, but I can fab new heal plates and weld the sub cons back on.
I bet that athena makes your quad eat eh? High compression piston also? I did that on my 440 ex (high comp) and its fast but it sucks buying race gas for it. Doesn't seem to keep well and I don't trust old fuel. I got go back thru that thing because it doesn't like to idle cold, so I turn up the idle and it barely idles cold. Then 10 minutes later its screaming. Should just buy a used 04-05 450 carb for it. Anyway I doubt I will go high compression on my builds anymore.

·
4,672 Posts
High compression is a lot more reliable on these 450s than the 400s. I run HC in my motors, 13.4 - 14.25:1. It’s free HP and makes for great throttle response!! I just run pump 91 in my builds up to 13.5:1.

·
Truck Yea
5,796 Posts
Yea, about those nerfs... I sorta melted one of the heal plates by leaving it in a cardboard box I burned... Doh! I also cut off the subframe connectors because they vibrate and mess up the subframe. I think I will hold on to them for now, possibly blast em off and ceracoat them black again or polish them. They are a nice piece and messing with them was short sited of me, but I can fab new heal plates and weld the sub cons back on.
I bet that athena makes your quad eat eh? High compression piston also? I did that on my 440 ex (high comp) and its fast but it sucks buying race gas for it. Doesn't seem to keep well and I don't trust old fuel. I got go back thru that thing because it doesn't like to idle cold, so I turn up the idle and it barely idles cold. Then 10 minutes later its screaming. Should just buy a used 04-05 450 carb for it. Anyway I doubt I will go high compression on my builds anymore.
Ah, yea if thats the case you can keep them. I have a set but from bashing into rocks I crushed where the nets go. They still work but I decided to cut part of one of the mounts off to free the net up so I could powdercoat them. I suppose my buddy who tigs can make up the proper mount but Im sure it will cost me lol.

I decided to go with XFR as I dont like housers design, it has to small of a heel guard area and I prefer the close off heel guard not a net. Lonestar was the next best thing but didnt like the design as much, and pro armor sadly dont make atv anything anymore and aint anything used out there

As for the athena kit-sadly it blew up on me due to a failed timing chain tensioner. Got to glamis, rode all of 10 mins and BAM valves met piston. I decided to go with a custom 470 kit for more reliability and less rebuild time. The 490 kit was nice though, the athena gasket it comes with is junk though it failed and I went cometic-kept pushing coolant cause the headgasket is paper poop. The 470 should have more longevity. Plus with the bored carb, web cam and port work it makes good power. Builder and I decided do I want to put 10lbs of [email protected] in a 2lb bag or 8lbs..Ill do 8 and not rebuild for 50 hours lol.The 490 had a bit more punch though. I have actually geared down to 14/37 as it was to unwieldy in the woods with much else and the thing revs to the moon and you gotta shift quick. as it is its pretty bad now lo. I did run a 12.5:1 piston too. I wont run high comp, too hard to get the proper gas sometimes and I wont risk it. Buddy built a 450 up with the athena kit and 13:1 and it detonated in the heat of the NJ summer in the sand pits we ride-put 100 octane no issue.

Sorry to take away from your thread im gonna start one for myself

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Motorcycle
Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Wired this bad oscar up today. Wanted something more than just an hour meter. Kinda cool, shift light, 2 maintenance reminders, max rpms, engine temp, and you can use it for fuel level on some bikes. Just a cheaper computer. ordered a inline temp sensor adapter for it, funny I couldn't find a 20 mil one so 22 it is I guess (hose I.d. for the lower). Contemplating welding a bung into the lower right of the rad for that sanyo look. I really don't want to drag the sensor wiring down to the lower rad hose. I also made the mount for it cus the one it came with is kinda hokey. Hand crafted..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts