Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 TRX 450R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick intro thread. Just picked up a 2005 cheap and working on getting it running right. Found this site doing research. Looking forward to what everyone has to offer. I’m in Rock Hill SC - ride occasionally at Carolina Adventure World on the 4x4 machines and will be in search of some MX tracks when the 05 is up to speed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just a quick intro thread. Just picked up a 2005 cheap and working on getting it running right. Found this site doing research. Looking forward to what everyone has to offer. I’m in Rock Hill SC - ride occasionally at Carolina Adventure World on the 4x4 machines and will be in search of some MX tracks when the 05 is up to speed.
Welcome to the forums send us some pictures of your ride and let us know what’s wrong with it we might be able to help.

·
Registered
2005 TRX 450R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How cheap if you don’t mind me asking ? And what does need to run?
I:got it from some farm kids for 2k. They stated in the listing that it needed a carb cleaning - but it had no spark. Stator coil was grounded. I went ahead and replaced the stator and carb with the intent of minimizing trouble shooting and buying time to learn how to tear down/clean/rebuild the original carb and use if for a back up. It fired up and idle fine - had some hesitation in acceleration putting around the yard. After it warmed up it was hard to get started again so I jumped the gun a bit and dove into a valve adjustment which I've never done. I thought I was on point with my measurements but maybe not - when. I put it back together it would start but not idle - had to keep it running with the throttle - any attempt at acceleration resulted in it bogging down. It also back fired through the exhaust once. Then I got Covid again and have been out of commission for a couple weeks now. So - Not sure what the end result will be but overall the bike as a whole in great shape. I felt like 2k was a safe risk regardless.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
I:got it from some farm kids for 2k. They stated in the listing that it needed a carb cleaning - but it had no spark. Stator coil was grounded. I went ahead and replaced the stator and carb with the intent of minimizing trouble shooting and buying time to learn how to tear down/clean/rebuild the original carb and use if for a back up. It fired up and idle fine - had some hesitation in acceleration putting around the yard. After it warmed up it was hard to get started again so I jumped the gun a bit and dove into a valve adjustment which I've never done. I thought I was on point with my measurements but maybe not - when. I put it back together it would start but not idle - had to keep it running with the throttle - any attempt at acceleration resulted in it bogging down. It also back fired through the exhaust once. Then I got Covid again and have been out of commission for a couple weeks now. So - Not sure what the end result will be but overall the bike as a whole in great shape. I felt like 2k was a safe risk regardless.
Yea 2k is a safe risk. I mean you could dump a grand into it and still be doing good at 3k, you bought a new carb for it? How much did that run you? That could eat up most of that grand right there. Maybe a rebuild kit would have been a better idea, but I understand about the time to learn how to tear it down and rebuild. But if you’re doing a valve adjustment yourself the carb rebuild shouldn’t be an issue. Sounds like you may be off on the valve adjustment tho. We’ll hope you get it dialed in, usually on 06+ models it’s a carb issue before anything, then going internal is next but I’m no expert. Keep me posted , and I’ll give as much help as I can. Send pics bro, I want to see the barn find.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
Nice, yea I would’ve took the risk too, it looks like it’s getting there, well good luck , have fun, and keep us posted as it comes along

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,882 Posts
Welcome!

Quad looks pretty clean! Surprised, because usually them farm boys destroy everything lol. As stated, it sounds like you didn’t get the timing right after you did the valve adjustment. Hopefully you can dig back into it and get it set properly. Did you put the new tires on or did it come with them?

·
Registered
2005 TRX 450R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They were actually pretty rough on it. Plastics are scratched to hell and the grab bar was angled up from dragging it on pavement doing wheelies. Even has a little road rash on the bottom of the pipe. Other than that - it was completely intact and unmodified. It was missing bolts here and there, the rubber straps that hold the rear of the tank down etc. All in all though it has great bones. The oil was in needed changing but was not in severe neglect. Same with the transmission side. Tires were serviceable but yes I did change them out. I also changed out the stock handle bars as I was not a fan of them.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,882 Posts
Sounds like you are making good progress on it. But yeah, looks like the frame and the bones of it are in good shape. Unfortunately new plastics are stupid expensive. Maybe you can clean up the old ones a bit. There’s a few threads on restoring plastics on here. Did you get the timing figured out yet?

·
Registered
721 Posts
KahunaxL how’s the barn find coming along? Gotta be ripping it up by now? Send some pics? Did you get it running and plastic cleaned up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts