Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a full lrd exhaust with no air box lid and a k&n. My main jet is a 178. I am
running the bike in the oregon dunes at sea level. My queston is at night my header
pipe glows red hot for about the first three inches out of the head. Is this normal or
a lean condition? The spark plug looks good and the bike doesn't detonate.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by toypar@Jul 26 2004, 01:53 PM
I have a full lrd exhaust with no air box lid and a k&n. My main jet is a 178. I am
running the bike in the oregon dunes at sea level. My queston is at night my header
pipe glows red hot for about the first three inches out of the head. Is this normal or
yes... i would start at 190 and work downward. probably no less than 185. IMO
i am at about sea level also w/ fatboy4 no lid and k&n running 185 main and 50 pilot.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I am at 600ft above in INDIANA and running a 192, and 2nd from bottom clip on needle, with my HMF BB and Sparks filter and HRC lid..... DEAD ON JETTING....... :D

My LRD and K&N with NO LID was a 195.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started with a 185 and bike felt like it didn't want to pull on top very well. I went to a 195 and didn't help. I put the 178 in it and the bike sounds chrisper and pulls harder on top. It might be a tad lean. I might put a 180 in it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does your pipe glow red hot with dead on jetting?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
no.....never glows ..... :mellow:

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you say it seems to run good. Have you checked proper oil and coolant levels?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it has proper oil and coolant levels. The coolant temp light never comes on
and I have never heard the fan come on. During the day the pipe looks normal.
At night is when you can see the pipe glowing red.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
You might PM KGB, he lives in your area and also runs the same pipe you do, a 178 does sound a little lean to me. As far as the headpipe glowing that is normal if the quad is just sitting there idleing, my quad did it when it was stock and so does my buddies yfz, i don't know if it has been disscussed in this forum, but it has on others. Most people never even notice it glow.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Let me take part of my statement back... my LRD did glow if it was warm ooutside (above 80) and was sitting for more than 5 mins. MY HMF does not glow at all.... it blues and you can see heat in it but it has yet to turn RED.... or a glowing RED....

I know what you mean with the red thing cause i put my LRD on when there was still snow on the ground (cold Dense air) where i am and i had a 180 in it with no air box lid and K&N with no PRE filter on it.....
.... talk about BRIGHT RED..........

·
Registered
315 Posts
MAN!! I have got to get one of these pipes! Is the glow bright enough to run without headlights..? :D
j/k

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by toypar@Jul 26 2004, 01:53 PM
Hey I am also from Oregon and i just got back from Dunefest and I noticed the same thing.. but it is ok..i am running complete LRD exhaust w/k&n filter, outwear,13 tooth front sprocket, and 180 main jet and it runs awesome!!!!
I was running 178 jet and it didn't quite run smooth... try 180!!but the red hot header is ok!!1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts