Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now my bikes stock with just a pipe and lid off. Runs great but I want more power in the future..Most likely by the end of the year/next summer I wanna get a stage 2 cam and port and polish and I should be done with the engine ..well for ever because I really wanna keep my reliability and pump gas. But does port/polish affect reliability much? I really cant see how it would other than maybe lets the bike run harder but other than that I wouldnt think itd hurt anything.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
verry reliable, it actually lets the engine work much better.

get someone reputable to do your work. every port job is not the same so make sure you get it done right the first time.

by next summer you might be ready for new rings on your stock piston. so just throw in a new one from CP or another company.

when you have your head ported have the builder inspect your valves,seats, and springs.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
there is no moving parts to a port. so i wouldnt consider it any less reliable then stock.

im running my bike on pump gas and making more power then alot of race gas bikes. they can still be fast/reliable on pump.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. And yeah I wanna kinda get into the "Casual" drag scene. Not all out but Im thinking just port polish, cam. Dont wanna bore it or anything. Eventually a longer swinger and remove all the non essentials to lighten it up. And sand when you said throw in a new one from CP do you mean a new piston or rings lol

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
just go for a cp piston/rings. stock piston is heavy compared to the cp's.

get a stock compression piston (12:1 for 06+, i forget what year your quad is), and use a crf gasket and its aroud 12.25:1.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

get a stock compression piston (12:1 for 06+, i forget what year your quad is), and use a crf gasket and its aroud 12.25:1.[/b]
Mines a 07, pretty much brand spankin new. And due to the newness and pipe im low on cash thats why i said around end of ths year/mid next year. I wanna do everything I can to it while keeping the honda reliability and not needing race gas. I was thinking just a port/polish and cam. Get everything checked in spec and all, keep stock compression and after the engine was done I'd move onto the bike itself to set it up for drag.

·
Registered
92 Posts

get a stock compression piston (12:1 for 06+, i forget what year your quad is), and use a crf gasket and its aroud 12.25:1.[/b]
Mines a 07, pretty much brand spankin new. And due to the newness and pipe im low on cash thats why i said around end of ths year/mid next year. I wanna do everything I can to it while keeping the honda reliability and not needing race gas. I was thinking just a port/polish and cam. Get everything checked in spec and all, keep stock compression and after the engine was done I'd move onto the bike itself to set it up for drag.
[/b]

porting helps the motor breath better long as it is done right .. i like the 02 crf cam for play or the misto web cam for drag but you will need shortened guide and better springs ,,, and hi comp piston to use the cam correctly

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
none of which is needed for the HCI, II, or III.........

jmho....

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

jmho....[/b]
exactly : ) i got the HCII and love it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

jmho....[/b]
[/b]

In the long run.. as in the next 2 years..max I think Imma go for that venom 12.25:1 along with port/polish and something like a HC2 or 3..Not sure yet. And just remove as much as possible. Front spindle mounts maybe a +4 swinger and some pro wedges (best tires for around here) and it should really be all I need. Then ofc I'll start saving for powdercoat etc. I really dont wanna get too crazy with it engine wise and like i said I wanna keep it as reliable as possible on pump gas. I cant ever afford 8$ a gallon. Maybe when pump prices reach that I'll switch to race gas :)

Listed above is about what a YFZ had at the drags this past weekend ..I think he was actually running a stock yfz piston without port/polish and but he had hardly anything on the bike..I think the bike + the rider weighed under 400 lbs and he could really drive it well, was taking 734 raptors all day.

·
Registered
309 Posts

jmho....[/b]
[/b]

In the long run.. as in the next 2 years..max I think Imma go for that venom 12.25:1 along with port/polish and something like a HC2 or 3..Not sure yet. And just remove as much as possible. Front spindle mounts maybe a +4 swinger and some pro wedges (best tires for around here) and it should really be all I need. Then ofc I'll start saving for powdercoat etc. I really dont wanna get too crazy with it engine wise and like i said I wanna keep it as reliable as possible on pump gas. I cant ever afford 8$ a gallon. Maybe when pump prices reach that I'll switch to race gas :)

Listed above is about what a YFZ had at the drags this past weekend ..I think he was actually running a stock yfz piston without port/polish and but he had hardly anything on the bike..I think the bike + the rider weighed under 400 lbs and he could really drive it well, was taking 734 raptors all day.
[/b]
Sounds like my friend padoo's yfz that you speak of.
His bike runs hard as hell for what it is.Is this the bike???

·
Registered
10,711 Posts

jmho....[/b]
[/b]

i guess i like the web or the crf cams alot better ,,, some have good luck i will stick with what wins for me
[/b]

there really isnt a 'better' or 'worse' cam for these engines........it all depends on what your targeting......

I like CRF cams also......I think they have better acceleration than the Hotcams.... both of which are drop in cams and relatively easy on the valve train......the HCIII is the only one of the bunch that should be used with caution.....it is a high lift cam, it does lose some bottom end...and it can float a valve......

however, if you are building an all out drag engine......Webs are an excellent choice (208 or Mysto).... Johnson also....etc....

its just that most dont want to have to make all the preparations necessary to run some of the more aggressive cams for the small gains they make over the more popular drop in cams.....

jmho....

·
Registered
92 Posts
QUOTE(450RRR @ Aug 4 2008, 09:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=539383
<div class='quotemain'>none of which is needed for the HCI, II, or III.........

jmho....[/b]
[/b]

i guess i like the web or the crf cams alot better ,,, some have good luck i will stick with what wins for me
[/b][/quote]

there really isnt a 'better' or 'worse' cam for these engines........it all depends on what your targeting......

I like CRF cams also......I think they have better acceleration than the Hotcams.... both of which are drop in cams and relatively easy on the valve train......the HCIII is the only one of the bunch that should be used with caution.....it is a high lift cam, it does lose some bottom end...and it can float a valve......

however, if you are building an all out drag engine......Webs are an excellent choice (208 or Mysto).... Johnson also....etc....

its just that most dont want to have to make all the preparations necessary to run some of the more aggressive cams for the small gains they make over the more popular drop in cams.....

jmho....
[/b][/quote]

i do a gree with you i gess i see the end result of of a lot of heads that the valves are shot... cam maybe but alot of float.. poor shimming and fuel issues .. not to mention piss poor jetting.. i really like debby at web cams she has set up alot of different grinds to my engines and and have had alot of luck..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts