Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i installed my hc2 and it is excellent. so i go to do my first valve adjustment and i ran into a big problem. The exhaust valves were a little loose which is normal from just regular riding. but the intake valves were tighter then before. is that supposed to happen? i put about 30 hours on the hc2 and my intake valves tightened up. is this normal?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
from what i have read and understand.............. yes, it is normal for them to tighten a bit. it is caused from the valves wearing into the seats or vice versa. not sure about when to look into getting a valve job, someone will know better than me. or be able to tell you what signs to look for to tell you when it would be a good time to get a valve job with new seats and possibly new valves.

·
Solid Gold DASA500R!
4,924 Posts
once you install the cam after a short ride it is recomended to recheck the valves. things can change quickly upon first install of the cam. after that you should be good to go. you might have waited to long to check the valves, is one thing that could have happened?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a uni filter, and now i have a k and n. The only experience i have with adjusting valves is with my 350 raptor. with that quad everytime i had to adjust the valves i had to tighten them up, therefore lessening the gap. so when i opened up the top end and saw that my intake valves were tighter than at install i was a little puzzled. the exhaust valves are looser than when i installed the cam. the quad was damn near impossible to start so thats when i decided to take a look at the valves. random question : im gonna do a compression check and what should the stock compression be?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I used a uni filter, and now i have a k and n. The only experience i have with adjusting valves is with my 350 raptor. with that quad everytime i had to adjust the valves i had to tighten them up, therefore lessening the gap. so when i opened up the top end and saw that my intake valves were tighter than at install i was a little puzzled. the exhaust valves are looser than when i installed the cam. the quad was damn near impossible to start so thats when i decided to take a look at the valves. random question : im gonna do a compression check and what should the stock compression be?[/b]
Your cranking compression should be at around 60-65 psi on an ER.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Your valves tightening is normal. Loosening is not normal.[/b]
since the first day i have been shimming my valves have been loosening...they have never tightened also my buddys old 04 did the same so i must happen more often then people think

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your help everyone. my brother in law is coming over right now and were going to do a compression test then reshim again. ill let you know how that goes. thanks a lot

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow thats really strange because my intake was tight and my exhaust was loose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts