Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well gentlemen, i wish you all good riding days, mine posting at this site are done.

desert has spoken of similar sentiments to the ones i am leaving with.

this all takes time and has pretty much been a one way street on the exchange of information for me. i give freely of my time, and of my dyno, and of my 30+ years of experience pretty much just to hear that someone has gained from, or benefitted by the information. i have never contributed to, or been a part of' other forums. you may find 1 or 2 posts but no real activity.

i have grown tired of contributing to the threads only to be overlooked when the gratitude is handed out, since that is the only reward a site can give.

i am also saddened to recently learn that many regulars don't pay for their equipment, but rather use the product exposure they can give to garner "freebies".
such tainted reviews are of very limited appeal for me.

sorry but i can't continue a relationship where it is too much effort to hit 6 extra keys to say" thanks"

...........................mixxer

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mixxer - hate to see you go. I dont post much on here, but enjoyed reading your post. I think I speak for many of us "lurkers" when I say that I dont have much to share that you dont already know!

As far as "biased reports", such is cyberspace. You have to do two things when you read something on the internet: 1st, research it for its accuracy, and 2nd, but more important, find out who is saying it and why.

I have not put any of your information into play, but none the less appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Carson

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mixxer thanks alot for all your input has helped me ALOT. I am pretty inexperienced @ all this 4 stroke stuff so you have helped me ALOT. Again thanks alot and good future to you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No mixxer dont leave we need you and your insite.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Sorry to see you go John...

I hope you aren't referring to the comment I made in jest about Mr. Johnson giving me a cam to evaluate. Myself included, I know of very few people (if any on this site) that get freebies for product exposure.

For the record, I have been cut a few deals before but I am a straight shooter. The only free products I have ever received were few and were for another site for which I did a couple very brief reviews (more like brief install instructions and a few pictures).

I have also spent more thousands of my dollars than I care to count on aftermarket parts over past few years & I'll take any breaks I can get when they're offered (which isn't very often) - I will also tell when something doesn't work as advertised & have done so in the past.

As for my comments about the Rekluse - it's still one of my favorite mods I've done to my 450R. They didn't give me a free clutch to promote their product. They did inadvertently give me a discount on my unit because I attended a dealer show where they were offering anyone one at half price. I was fully prepared to pay full price, so it was a nice little bonus. I would buy another in a second at full retail if they made one for a 400EX.

My comment about "selling a lot of clutches for them" wasn't intended to infer that they gave me one to promote their product -- it was intended jokingly (note the smilies in the original post) to mean that my satisfaction with it & postings on the subject have translated into numerous sales for them - heck, I've even been tech support for them in many cases when people have had install problems and e-mailed me.

That was my point - more of a "wouldn't it be cool if they gave me a cam to try out and report back" than a "they will have to give me a cam before I will give them a good review" - if that makes sense. Certainly nothing was expected & it was totally meant in a joking manner. I'll likely buy one after my billfold cools off from my latest round of purchases - and after I do, if I'm happy with it's performance, I'll recommend it to those who's setups I think it will benefit and contrast it against other cams I've tried and/or ridden.

Unfortunately, posting on messageboards does take up a lot of time & many times it is a one way street. I've been fairly active on usenet and various messageboards for years and you're right, I feel most of the time I'm handing out advice far more often than I'm getting good info -- sadly enough, many times when you're giving advice on something you've had experience with there will be someone that wants to argue you, or the person asking the question will blow you off - such is the internet... . However, I've also made some good relationships over the years with various people - many times that makes it all worth it.

Personally I feel if you truly love the sport, taking the time to help others with your experience is worth the effort. You just have to learn when to not perpetuate arguments and most of all try to keep a cool head. I've been involved in my share of flame wars and it typically does nothing but waste my time, so anymore, when I find someone that wants to argue, I usually make my points and leave.

I also feel that even though when I communicate on these messageboards I'm usually giving info out instead of taking it, there is someone equally or more knowledgeable on a different messageboard on a different subject doing the same. I find that I'm thankful that like myself, they have taken the time to participate when I needed info on their subject, even though they might not be getting much in return. It's how the internet operates, if it weren't for the sharp folks taking time to talk about their subject, internet messageboards would have little worth...

Desert's fate was eminent - you just can't take the time to put down the level of detail in as many posts as he did and keep your head above water. I've been there and done that myself & found that you can spend a couple hours writing up a clear, detailed, technically accurate post and very few will read it closely enough to fully comprehend what you've said. It will cause burnout very quickly as you realize how much time you are really spending doing it - especially after you get a few hecklers.

Good luck and I hope you reconsider your decision and decide to stick around with us. This is one of the better messageboards for passing info back and forth without too many flame wars and/or sensless adolescent chatter.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Mixxer thanks the the advice, and you input. Your leaving will be a great loss.

Again thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Originally posted by mixxer@Oct 7 2004, 03:40 PM
well gentlemen, i wish you all good riding days, mine posting at this site are done.

desert has spoken of similar sentiments to the ones i am leaving with.

this all takes time and has pretty much been a one way street on the exchange of information for me.  i give freely of my time, and of my dyno, and of my 30+ years of experience pretty much just to hear that someone has gained from, or benefitted by the information.  i have never contributed to, or been a part of' other forums.  you may find 1 or 2 posts but no real activity.

i have grown tired of contributing to the threads only to be overlooked when the gratitude is handed out, since that is the only reward a site can give.

i am also saddened to recently learn that many regulars don't pay for their equipment, but rather use the product exposure they can give to garner "freebies".
such tainted reviews are of very limited appeal for me.

sorry but i can't continue a relationship where it is too much effort to hit 6 extra keys to say" thanks"

...........................mixxer
Mixxer,
Thanks for all the info,I learned alot.Sad to see you go!!!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Mixxer, I feel the same as others do. I feel this is a great lose to our site.

I indeed read all of your post even though sometimes I feel it's above my head. I still take in every word you say and try to understand what you are teaching.

This is like losing a leg IMO. Learning about this quad is my passion and I don't take it lightly. It saden's me to see you go. I hope maybe you will return. :(

Your knowledge is second to none. Sorry, to see you leave!

Rico

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Gabe just to let you know..... thanks as well. You info is always top notch. The reason most if us can't pass info back to you is.... were dumb.
Well speaking for my self anyway.

To quote one of you saying's sorta "your a wealth of knowledge" I think you said that.

As for mixxer, and desert, (sorry to say I didn't know he had left :( ) good people like them don't come around very often.

To the rest of the builders that get looked over. I guess we will have to be more grateful for them. Our gratitude is about all we can give.

·
Registered
612 Posts
diddo to all these post!!!!!!!!!.... i usually have to reread most of the good posts to make sure and sense of what they're sayin.... you'll be missed....
i also wish this site didi have a chatroom by now, i might make it a little bit easier for people to get along and comprehend what some people are sayin

·
Registered
810 Posts
The thing I like about this site over others is that there is alot of people here with alot of good info. Mixxer, 86, dez, ticeman and others contribute greatly to this site and keeps it intersting for me as well as others. Lots of good info here. Mixxer, I'll miss your posts. Not only are they very informative, but they're also entertaining. Thanks for everything and good luck in your future endeavers........Brian

·
Registered
986 Posts
well to start off i would like to apoligize to those guys who give such a welth of knowledge and sometimes seem forgranted.

for me it is not that i don't care or disbelieve you, but that alot of the information you guys have posted dosen't usually pertain to what i'm am currently doing or is way over my head at this point. i do however learn from it and someday soon be using to make educated desecions and will be used with great appriciation. even though i am not currently using your info i still should have taken the time to thank you for sharing what you have. we all should have more often.

this message is for those who spend more time than i can imagine researching, developing, testing, and then sharing info of products they have bought and tested or just common laws and results for 4 stroke quads and anything else disscussed.

mixxer, desert_450r, 86atc250r, Rico'450R, and anyone else that fits in this catagory,

Thank You
Dustin.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by mixxer@Oct 7 2004, 03:40 PM
don't know what to say... maybe, "oops!" i am as guilty of this at times as the next person. sometimes i am just in a hurry... i REALLY wish people wouln't take it personal.

a perfect example is earlier today (morning). i had just gotten home from work and wanted to check on the "Fuels/Racing Gasolines" thread that i had posted before getting some much needed sleep. i was excited, yes... excited, to see that some members had taken the time to answer a few Q's and as always, share experience and knowledge.

i was reading and absorbing and soon became caught up in a dialogue with Tony "Ticeman". in the mix of posts, was some great info left by... mixxer of course. but, by the time i got to the bottom of the thread, all of the info ran together. and... since i was so grossly engaged in the exchange with Tony, i forgot, in the end, to thank rico, quadboy, wowa450r, and mixxer. i hope that all of these people don't think that their info was invaluable and i would hate to think that they took it personal or think that i am ungrateful. get the point.

it happens... mixxer has given me and others plenty of valuable information in other posts, in other threads and has been thanked. i have been accused of being ungrateful before simply because i didn't stop asking a question when one person gave me an answer. is this how all of the knowledgeable people on this site got to be so well informed... by asking one person a question and accepting it as the ONLY answer? ok... getting off topic.

mixxer, where did you get the idea that the people on in this forum were all ungrateful? everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt (or however that goes). is it easier to assume that people are using you than it is to assume that they just forgot to say thanks? that is sad. :(

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
dude don't go :( stay and help us dumb people out. I love your post they have helped me understand a lot of things about this quad and others.
thanks for all your knowledge you will be missed

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I share my information to help my fellow ATVers. I don't expect a thank you. I guess I take it for granted that the people that need the help are thankfull. They just usually don't say anything. I usually thank people for help but, I don't expect everyone to be like me. I post because I enjoy it. No offense but, I think mixxer's post is rediculous. If it is that hard on you and that much of a bother just go away quietly.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Yea, i feel guilty too, for not sayin thanks, there are many of you giving great info out there all the time. I have learned alot from many of you. Till this year the most i done to a machine was an oil change. This year i did a cam swap, thanks to the help of dez, big help. As well as many others who posted along. All this ifo is a great help, and it sucks to see sumone like this go. Hope to see u back one of these days mixxer.

·
Registered
612 Posts
well there always has to be one bad apple in a crowd... if that's all you have to say(trx450r racer) about something like that....guess you don't really care, cuz you already know it all... unlike alot of us... i even work for a honda dealer, i don't know it all, but my mind is open to suggestions. and you can tell if someone is feeding you a line just to answer a question even if they don't know for themselves, but it really sounds good... i really sit here more in this forum reading than i do in my magazines.... most of the time you get better info and better products from the smaller guy that really cares and has put alot of time into what he really knows..

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Mixxer, say it ain't so. I just talked to you on the phone the monday and everything seemed cool, I'm sorry to hear your disappointment. Just so you know I have also never recieved any money or free products for things i've said that I like either, i wouldn't want people to think that I'm a sell out. I too have learned several things from you, 86atc250r, desert_450r, ticeman, and several others that would take all day for me to list. I also try to share what I know which is not as great and technical as many of your guys but I do what I can.

I hope that after reading these posts that you realize that we all are thankful that you post on this forum, its the guys like you that help make this site special and seperates us from the the other sites. I don't know if it will make a difference at this point but I told you what my future holds on monday and I had an idea or 2 that I want to disclose to you in the near future that might make you feel a little more appreciated if you would feel inclined to participate. If you've lost my number it is 513 886 5853, feel free to give me a call because we all would hate to see you go.

BTW, I just bought Smokey Yunick's Power Secrets off of Ebay a couple of days ago and it should be here sometime next week, this will be only the 3rd book i've read since graduating high school in 1996. So now you can see the influnce you have on me, I usually just read the atv mags!:D Sometimes I think that my mid to high 130's IQ I had in high school has dwendled down to about 90. :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts