Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there is only so much that can be written about your typical bolt ons: exhaust, air filters, FCR carb, jetting, and everyone's favorite CAMS
I'm sorry to say but most of these threads are getting quite repetitive with most of the same information being covered over and over. Anyhow, I'm interested in knowing any major mods that people have done, like porting, big bore kits, larger valves or combinations of. I want to know how much power the bike can make.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
me too!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anything to avoid another CAM or exhaust thread!!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just put a rekluse clutch in last night, does that count? B)

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Im not even sure if the pros are Porting theirs or even going with the big bore kits yet.... they just dont need to.... they (both the 450s) are bad ass as it is....

Id really like to know what it will do as well but i am going with a 12-1 piston and a web cam w/ a FCR CRF carb and that will be the end of it until i start really getting smoked ... then i will do something wild ...... :mellow:

·
Registered
733 Posts
i'll be adding the sparks 13.8:1 piston and cam as soon as they arrive. i'll keep ya all posted. thinking about a clean up on the head, but not sure if it will be cost effective. any opinions on the head work?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put a rekluse clutch in last night, does that count?[/b]
Yeah i guess that counts!

Anyhow, I heard about a 500cc big bore kit being offered relatively inexpensive from FST. That seems interesting. The piston is even lighter than the stock one!
Does anyone out there have bigger valves yet??

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Originally posted by joe1l@Jul 30 2004, 12:42 PM
I just put a rekluse clutch in last night, does that count?
Yeah i guess that counts!

Anyhow, I heard about a 500cc big bore kit being offered relatively inexpensive from FST. That seems interesting. The piston is even lighter than the stock one!
Does anyone out there have bigger valves yet?? [/b][/quote]
My 500cc FST kit should be ready in a couple of weeks. Then, I'm taking out the 13.8:1 JE and selling it. Anyone interested? It probably only has 3-4 hours on it as of right now. I don't ride very often, but when I do, I like to have it faster than the guys I ride with. I'll probably upgrade to the 570 stroker when it's been tested and proven.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just received my head back today from ESR , they said the head flows very good stock much better than a CRF. They performed a basic port job from what I can tell, they cleaned up the casting flash, knife edged the intake bridge, took some material off of the valve guides and blended in the seats. THe other parts are the basic JE 13.1 to 1, Sparks drop in cam, CRF carb, CHM exhaust, and ESR air box eliminator. I will be assembling it in the next couple weeks, trying to get it ready for labor day at Pismo dunes in CA.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by fourtraxmc@Jul 30 2004, 09:14 PM
I just received my head back today from ESR , they said the head flows very good stock much better than a CRF. They performed a basic port job from what I can tell, they  cleaned up the casting flash, knife edged the intake bridge, took some material off of the valve guides and blended in the seats.  THe other parts are the basic  JE 13.1 to 1, Sparks drop in cam, CRF carb, CHM exhaust, and ESR air box eliminator. I will be assembling it in the next couple weeks, trying to get it ready for labor day at Pismo dunes in CA.
Wow, sounds like you'll be ready to take out some of those pesky YFZ's that run the dunes huh?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yea, only one guy in or group owns a YFZ and he bought that after his modded up raptor got beat by a stock 450r. I am taking and giving some ribbing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Originally posted by fourtraxmc@Jul 30 2004, 09:14 PM
I just received my head back today from ESR , they said the head flows very good stock much better than a CRF. They performed a basic port job from what I can tell, they  cleaned up the casting flash, knife edged the intake bridge, took some material off of the valve guides and blended in the seats.  THe other parts are the basic  JE 13.1 to 1, Sparks drop in cam, CRF carb, CHM exhaust, and ESR air box eliminator. I will be assembling it in the next couple weeks, trying to get it ready for labor day at Pismo dunes in CA.
If you don't mind me asking, What did the ESR porting run(cost)? Keep us updated on how it turns out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My first choice was Sparks but they were two months plus out on work and there customer service seemed very poor- my opinion only. A few of my friends have 250Rs with esr engines and there workmanship is very good and customer service is excellent , they would actually talk too you even though you did not buy everything from them like some other shops. The porting was $250.00 , I disassembled the head and shipped bare.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From my understanding the porting in stock form is pretty good on the TRX head. i'm interested in the oversized valves and valve job that Duncan offers. anybody out there have them?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Originally posted by fourtraxmc@Jul 30 2004, 10:48 PM
My first choice was Sparks but they were two months plus out on work and there customer service seemed very poor- my opinion only. A few of my friends have 250Rs with esr engines and there workmanship is very good and customer service is excellent , they would actually talk too you even though you did not buy everything from them like some other shops. The porting was $250.00 , I disassembled the head and shipped bare.
Around what price was sparks asking for the porting? I was thinking about doing some work to mine this winter. As of right now I'm leaning towards sending mine out to Laz at GT Thunder. I hear alot of good things about their work and he's willing to work with what aftermarket parts I already have, just not sell me some new parts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure what Sparks price was I heard the two month back log and that was it.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
hey quick did you do some diging to find this relic? its funny to look at the member numbers. those were the good old day when 50hp was unheard of.

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,057 Posts
:lol2: ya i just started at page 352 and started going down. what can i say? i was bored.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts