Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to make my own grab bar and was wondering is it in my best interest to make it out of thin wall chromoly since I would rather see the bar brake before the subframe. Anyone here have any experience with making their own grab bar while taking this into account? I wanted to make something that allows me to carry a little tool/stuff box around without having the bar look too bulky like many of the other 6 pack racks out there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If I was going to build a grab bar for that purpose, (I have built a couple standard grab bars), I would build it out of aluminum or mild steel. Just use aluminum that is a little thicker than the stocker, or thin wall mild steel.

Chromoly is too expensive for what you need it to do, and stailness is just added wait that you don't need.

jmho

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I was going to build a grab bar for that purpose, (I have built a couple standard grab bars), I would build it out of aluminum or mild steel. Just use aluminum that is a little thicker than the stocker, or thin wall mild steel.

Chromoly is too expensive for what you need it to do, and stailness is just added wait that you don't need.

jmho[/b]
think is though the chromoly isn't all that much more than dom mild steel, which is why I was leaning towards it. Also I dont have the ability to weld aluminum at my house and chromoly is rust resistant unlike mild steel. do you think .065 would be a good wall thickness to give enough strength yet prevent subframe damage if I were to loop it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
my dads race car started to rust after only a few months of sitting covered in the garage, it's not that rust resistant. Plus, you want the grab bar to bend before the subframe

·
Registered
51 Posts
I made my own grab bar, no problems so far. 1/4" plate aluminum and 1" round stock aluminum. I just drilled and tapped the ends of the round stock so everything was bolt up---I can't weld aluminum either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made my own grab bar, no problems so far. 1/4" plate aluminum and 1" round stock aluminum. I just drilled and tapped the ends of the round stock so everything was bolt up---I can't weld aluminum either.

[/b]
looks clean and simple I guess you just welding on the exhaust mount onto your new bar?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the simple and replaceable design of his grab bar. It appears in his pic he has an 04-05 because the pipe mount is built into the subframe instead of the grab bar. When I built mine for my 07, I cut the pipe mount part of the grab bar off and sandwiched the new grab bar between it and the subframe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like the simple and replaceable design of his grab bar. It appears in his pic he has an 04-05 because the pipe mount is built into the subframe instead of the grab bar. When I built mine for my 07, I cut the pipe mount part of the grab bar off and sandwiched the new grab bar between it and the subframe.[/b]

its a 2005 like you said. no cutting or welding, just unbolt the brackets and slide the bar in then bolt it all up. at first it was just going to be a quick-fix until i bought a new one, but its held up well and looks decent so i'll be keeping it for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts