Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have $6K and a pretty much stock 04 450R, what a good way to make a good duner/drag bike. I don't jump, and trails are limited. Any suggestions ? The only thing i know im gonna need is a longer swingarm lol

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
bore the cylinder to 97mm, get a nice 97mm piston for a good 480cc build. Get a nice swinger from Kam / KBR and talk to him about your exhaust needs. Bore the carb out to 43.5mm, Kam can help you with that as well. A-arms and duner shocks will help a lot also. Throw in some HID bulbs. Don't forget to invest in some good paddles (*cough Brats cough*). Maybe get some pegs and bars for the comfort part of it.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Get a ESR 480 kit or RE 490, Send your head out get it ported (I hear nothing but good things about rage, re). Spend the rest on suspension for comfort. Stay away from TDUB for a swingarm you will never get it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, im looking for basically dragger/hill climber, if I can, i would like find things like swingarm & shocks used but in very good condition. I know $5K could go into the engine, but have a big engine is worthless unless you can get it to the ground. What are you guys' opinion on Nitrous ? because 10-30 hp for $600 is a bargain ... but i know it can very easily demolish an engine if not used properly

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Again, call these guys and talk to Kam. That's what these guys do, drag / hill climb and they dyno test everything and have proven results on everything, what works what doesn't and will do it saving you money, not making you pay for things you don't need. He'll tell you exactly what you need, what you don't and what the best setups are for you.

http://kbratv.com/KBR.htm

Kyle Baldwin Racing, LLC
4735 west 3500 south
Suite C
West Valley City , UT 84120

Shop: 801-967-7100

Fax: 435-226-2671

email: [email protected]

Oh yea, be SURE to tell him I sent ya.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sell your bike and buy one that's already done. The extra cash your bike will bring can be used to dial it in even more!

There are a lot of nice bikes out there for sale these days.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
lol i see a builder feud going on up there.

IMO youd be better off hitting up DASA or Racers EDGE, they said on here that they can make 70 hp heads now. i dunno how much kam is putting out, but IMO you might be better off with racers edge or dasa, and you can get ur stuff pretty quick from racers edge, maybe even go big bore if u want, but with 70 hp, i dont see a need for big bore :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It will come down to how big you want to go, and how serious you are about it. I would personally go with RE or Dasa, Dans a class act and can really get a honda up there. RE can make your wildest dreams come true, Bret is seriously one of the smartest guys I know. John and Morgan will help you out with anything you could possibly want or do.

New Used

swinger 400+ 225-350
tires 325 175-250
shaws 625+ set 350-500
exhaust 525 350-450
cam 125-300 75-225
hd springs 225
cylinder 450-1000 450-600
crank 250-1000
carb 350+ 100+
etc

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I have $6K and a pretty much stock 04 450R, what a good way to make a good duner/drag bike. I don't jump, and trails are limited. Any suggestions ? The only thing i know im gonna need is a longer swingarm lol[/b]
6k?
Maybe get a house.
If you already have a house...................
maybe buy a rental.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im gonna call Dasa, Racer's Edge, and KBR, and whichever doesnt think of me as a retard (because i will ask stupid n00b questions, as I am new to the 4-stroke gig), will most likely earn my business. I have heard of people giving great customer service (i.e. F.A.S.T. Racing) but when i called them on the phone, they were pricks. Customer Service is more important to me than price ( within reason ) but im sure these 3 wont be too far apart on prices from each other.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I will agree with you there soustomer service is key. Before i got all the parts for my last build i called a few places to get prices and a eta of how long 99% of the shops just gave me the run around except for racers edge, racers edge helped me out alot espically morgan, though i haven't realy talked to dasa about there recomendations on a motor i am sure they would be great also i just buy alot of parts from them

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
racers edge. alot of the places might have good sarvice, when they get to you..

i called racers edge alot, everytime they answered, everytime they helped me. plus their builds make sick power.

·
TRX450r.org Sponsor
1,517 Posts
If your just buying a swing arm and a motor package you shouldn't exceed 3600.00 and I rounded high bro. You do not have to go main stream to get a fast bike.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
If your just buying a swing arm and a motor package you shouldn't exceed 3600.00 and I rounded high bro. You do not have to go main stream to get a fast bike.[/b]
Absolutely. It's easy to buy a bunch of bolt-on parts from brand name companies that promise everything, but usually fall short. It's more worthwhile to do it right with the right parts, saving where you can and putting it where it counts to end up with a motor that performs at it's best. That's why you want to talk to an engine builder / race shop rather than a Parts Unlimited retailer....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts