Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped by Pingry's the other day to chat about the 450r. I looked at his bike and saw an oil tank that was custom built for his ride. He said it raised the oil volume to 2.8 quarts. Looks like this may be a good addition to our R's. He said his was prototype, but planned on building them and getting them out to the public. Pingry's also sells the aluminum air box for the R's.

I think it will be a good purchase. I plan on getting one by the end of Nov. So I'll up date how it is.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i dont know why you would buy one. can you tell me the purpose for buying one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would be interested in knowing if the oil pump could handle the extra "push"... I am always a little leary when major changes to the way Honda sets up an engine are recommended - not that improvements cant be made, but are their any down sides to having the stock trx pump oil to a ressy and then the cooler and then back.

Probably being overly cautious. More oil is a good thing.

Carson

·
Registered
8 Posts
After finding out how fast the fresh oil gets dark in our quads I think every 450r owner should consider this. I wonder If my sons crank bearing would have failed if the engine oil stayed cooler.......?? It could be the oil capacity of this motor causes premature oil breakdown under the extreme opperationg conditions thus leading to a failure at the weakest link.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by carson@Oct 9 2004, 11:07 AM
I would be interested in knowing if the oil pump could handle the extra "push"... I am always a little leary when major changes to the way Honda sets up an engine are recommended - not that improvements cant be made, but are their any down sides to having the stock trx pump oil to a ressy and then the cooler and then back.

Probably being overly cautious.  More oil is a good thing.

Carson
This is the same question I would ask. Adding a resevoir tank is a brilliant idea and would benefit your TRX in ways of engine longevity "BUT" can the oil pump handle pumping oil to the resevoir tank and back? Excellent question Carson! I would need to know the answer to this question before I would purchase a aftermarket tank. In the meantime I'll just change my oil often enough to insure that it's clean for all of my rides.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try using Amsoil. Its the best stuff out their. It doesnt break down like normal oil and it is way less friction so it decreases heat by 15% I think. It is so good they suggest regular car changes with it after every 7000 miles! Ive seen snowmobile engines after a race season that had amsoil and the pistons and cylinders look almost flawless! They were just re-ringed and raced again on another season.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R@Oct 12 2004, 01:22 PM
I change my oil every two rides and I added water wetter to my radiator!!
How long do you ride to change the oil every other ride?,

and what is water wetter??

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by trujeepr+Oct 12 2004, 03:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Rico'450R
@Oct 12 2004, 01:22 PM

[/b]
Yup, every two rides(no matter what!!). Even if it's two small rides. Water wetter is like engine ice. It helps cool your engine. It helps allot!! and it's not to expensive!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My opinion is that the more fluid would help with cooling capability and longevity of the viscosity of the oil. The design looked good, plumbed from resivoir tank to motor, out motor to cooler, cooler to resivoir. I did not take into consideration the stress on the oil pump. That is why I like to give information out to a board so I can see what responses there are and to find ideas that I would have not thought about before buying a product. Pingry's is a local shop in the sprawling metropolis of Tehachapi (insert sarcasm here). I like to drop by and see what he has going on with his ride and see how he feels about certain products that he can well afford better than me.

Good, bad or indifferent, glad to see all the responses. Helps when even making a small/inexpensive purchase.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R+Oct 12 2004, 04:01 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2004, 03:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Rico'450R

Yup, every two rides(no matter what!!). Even if it's two small rides. Water wetter is like engine ice. It helps cool your engine. It helps allot!! and it's not to expensive!!!
[/b]
Amsoil is one of the last 3 companies that make fully synthetic oils. Anything you see at the gas station or auto parts store that says fully synthetic is false. It is actually a blend. This was determined by a lawsuit a couple of years ago. Some companies were suing eachother because big brands like shell and everyone were naming theyre oils fully synthetic when they were really blends. The big companies one the case because they said since the oil was still manufactured it was fully synthetic. Dont belive it. Synthetic oils are rated from I-IV. Amsoil is one of 3 companies that produce level IV synthetic oil. I think the two others are redline and royal purple.
PS!!!!!!!- Never use these oils for break in! These oils actually DO NOT provide enough friction for proper break in. Switch after you break in the motor so the worse oils allow the added friction to wear down high spots on the piston and cylinder walls. You can break in using synthetic but it will take longer and usually will not give as good results.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by southtown00+Oct 12 2004, 05:23 PM-->
Originally posted by Rico'[email protected] 12 2004, 04:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Rico'450R

Amsoil is one of the last 3 companies that make fully synthetic oils. Anything you see at the gas station or auto parts store that says fully synthetic is false. It is actually a blend. This was determined by a lawsuit a couple of years ago. Some companies were suing eachother because big brands like shell and everyone were naming theyre oils fully synthetic when they were really blends. The big companies one the case because they said since the oil was still manufactured it was fully synthetic. Dont belive it. Synthetic oils are rated from I-IV. Amsoil is one of 3 companies that produce level IV synthetic oil. I think the two others are redline and royal purple.
PS!!!!!!!- Never use these oils for break in! These oils actually DO NOT provide enough friction for proper break in. Switch after you break in the motor so the worse oils allow the added friction to wear down high spots on the piston and cylinder walls. You can break in using synthetic but it will take longer and usually will not give as good results. [/b]
southtown00, that's good to know. I use Motul 10-40w myself!! :D

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Actually Mobil1 is still a "true" synthetic as far as I know (they were the ones that brought the lawsuit to court) - the lawsuit was against Castrol's marketing practices - sadly for the consumer, Mobil lost the litigation. Since then, it seems that others have followed suit.

If I remember correctly (I'm sure Dez has the info) Mobil is a blend of mostly group 4 polyalphaolephins and a little group 5 polyol esters.

There are a lot of "blends" out there & many are labeled that way, but the ones you have to keep an eye out for are the ones like Castrol Syntec that are labelled "full synthetic" but are actually group 3 hydrocracked mineral oils.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R+Oct 12 2004, 02:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Rico'450R

[/b]
Thanks, I think its time for me to change mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
what if there were a way to make an integrated oil tank and cooler in one? think that would be less stress on the system?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r+Oct 12 2004, 03:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-southtown00
@Oct 12 2004, 01:01 PM
Try using Amsoil. Its the best stuff out their. It doesnt break down like normal oil and it is way less friction so it decreases heat by 15% I think. It is so good they suggest regular car changes with it after every 7000 miles! Ive seen snowmobile engines after a race season that had amsoil and the pistons and cylinders look almost flawless! They were just re-ringed and raced again on another season.
Amsoil? ... They make a good oil? ... Never heard of 'em ... Sounds like I should be switching ... <_< [/b]
Amsoil is most likely the BEST oil you can use. I have ran this in everything from weedeaters to big block cheys and it has never let me down in any way. I used 100:1 in my 88 trx250r for over four years and never had to rering it nor did I ever have to change the plug, yes over four years on the same plug in a 2 stroke. Amsoil rules the oil world hands down. Heck I even ran it in my johnson outboard for years. It doesnt even cost much more than hondaline oils. Check'em out www.amsoil.com .............This all just my opinion from the results of myself using this product for years. In an auctomatic GM trans it will reduce heat by 60 degrees at leaste.

Corey

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Originally posted by nuthinbuttrubl89@Oct 12 2004, 06:32 PM
what if there were a way to make an integrated oil tank and cooler in one? think that would be less stress on the system? 
The oil pump will not be affected at all, weather you have 1 1/2 quarts or 10 gallons the pump doesnt know the difference. The pump is pumping oil at all times no matter how much oil is used. As long as there are no changes in tubing/hose size there should be no difference. What does make a diff. is using thicker/heavier oils that result in increased oil pressure, this affects the pump. Hope this helps.

Corey

·
Registered
612 Posts
i use mobil 1 15/50w with the red cap on the motor side and motul on the tranny side... so far np for me... i dunno alot about amsoil... one of my freinds wanted me to try there air filter oil... after he told me you could wash it right off with water... i didn't like it if was gonna go thru a creek or whatever... and no oil left on the filter for the rest of the day riding????????? it just didn't go over well with me is all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts