Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys,

i finally took my 450r out on the trails. i'm having trouble on the low end. this is my first 4 stroke , so i can't decide if it's just me or what. i ran a heavily modded banshee in the gncc series.......maybe i'm trying to ride it like its my banshee????? i keep killing the d*mn thing when slowing to get between trees. i really don't know! maybe i'm just babying the thing since i just spent so much money!?

i've got a few mods on the way, but all stock right now. the only things i have coming that might help in performance is the hmf slip-on and k&n filter. i have to get it gncc ready before sept. 23rd!!!

do you guys think i should drop a tooth on the front sproket????

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
in stock form it is better to drop 1 tooth up front. But once you open this thing up with a pipe and jetting, you have so much more power that you can run the 14 tooth with no problem.....I started with the 13 tooth, and I ran it with the 13 tooth after opening it up and it was awsome. I got beat by a friend of mine with the same mods, but he had the 14 tooth sprocket. So needless to say I switched back to the 14 tooth sprocket and things are much better.

But in stock form this thing just wants to die...when you open it up it does not have the tendency to stall near as easy....hope this helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was fast! i'm glad you told me it wants to die! i was starting to think i didn't know what in the hell i was doing. since i will be running mostly 1st, 2nd, sometimes 3rd gears do you still think i should leave it at 14 tooth?

hmf said they were so far behind ,my slip-on probably won't even ship until the 14th, i ordered it on 8/31. so, i don't know if i will even have it in time to get it on and jetted before i have to leave for west virginia. i really don't want to get out there with my bad a$$ new 450R and look like a complete idiot b/c i keep killing it.

i had to borrow my dads truck to go riding, he kept telling me i didnt know what i was doing and that maybe i should have just got a KFX700 like him......

·
Registered
936 Posts
i race gncc, and i run 13/39 gearing and it works perfect for woods, stock is 14/38. i have an hmf slip-on and that helped it out a little bit on the low end, not a whole lot. if you are running your slip-on with the air box on like you should for gncc, you wont need to rejet. the only carb changes you may want to do is unscrew your air/fuel screw 2-2.5 turns out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by WhiteZee@Sep 7 2004, 08:49 PM
i race gncc, and i run 13/39 gearing and it works perfect for woods, stock is 14/38.  i have an hmf slip-on and that helped it out a little bit on the low end, not a whole lot.  if you are running your slip-on with the air box on like you should for gncc, you wont need to rejet.  the only carb changes you may want to do is unscrew your air/fuel screw 2-2.5 turns out.
I have only changed my font spocket to a 13th. I was wondering what kind of a difference it makes when you change the rear sprocket, does it pull harder or have more or less top end.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WHITE ZEE,

What class do you run? Morning or afternoon?

I started 3yrs ago in the utilty unlimited class riding a Scrambler 400 2x4. I ran it for 2 years, then traded it for a Banshee. Took half of this season putting part after part on it, everything I could. I raced it once, in Ohio, came home and bought my 450R.

The worst part is that I put around $6000 into parts for the Banshee, now I have no $ for the 450R.............but it already kicks more @ss!

here is a pick of the Banshee.....
trinity stage IV kit, 2 into 1 carb, toomy t6 pipes, elka suspension, peps stabilizer, dg bumper, prm grab bar,prm a-arm, chasis, and swingarm skids, ac pro peg nerfs, tag bars, emgo handguards, hiper technology wheels, razr 2 tires, alba graphics, and a ton of cascade billet....

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by 450r-rider+Sep 7 2004, 09:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-WhiteZee
@Sep 7 2004, 08:49 PM
i race gncc, and i run 13/39 gearing and it works perfect for woods, stock is 14/38.  i have an hmf slip-on and that helped it out a little bit on the low end, not a whole lot.  if you are running your slip-on with the air box on like you should for gncc, you wont need to rejet.  the only carb changes you may want to do is unscrew your air/fuel screw 2-2.5 turns out.
I have only changed my font spocket to a 13th. I was wondering what kind of a difference it makes when you change the rear sprocket, does it pull harder or have more or less top end. [/b]
Yes, it will make it pull harder and you will lose some top end, but not much. I have the 13t on mine and I run aftermarket tires (Maxxis). The aftermarket tires are taller so the 13t works perfect in the woods! :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rico 450r,

What size tire are you running? I have 2 sets of razr2's one in 20" and one in 22"..... I still haven't decided which ones to run. i didn't have any problems with the stock 20" when I took it out the other day.........

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by itrytorace@Sep 8 2004, 11:56 AM
Rico 450r,

What size tire are you running? I have 2 sets of razr2's one in 20" and one in 22"..... I still haven't decided which ones to run. i didn't have any problems with the stock 20" when I took it out the other day.........
Your aftermarket tires Maxxis or Holeshot(besides the XCR's) are just a little taller than your stock tires. I run 20's in the back and 22's in the front. So, that's why I run the 13t. When I go to the track though(with the18's in the back) I put the 14t back on. The 13t is just a little to low for me! :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
when i added the 39t rear sproket, i didnt really notice much top end decrease, i just noticed i was using my clutch less then half of the time. honestly, i have never even put my 450 into 5th gear. i dont understand why people are so worried about loosing top end, these bikes are extremely fast anyway.

i race in the 1st year racer class, iv only been to 1 gncc and ended up fliping about a minute into the race, POS rear shock bucked me over the front. i now have the gt thunder linkage, and its 10 times better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the 13T is on it's way, or will be soon....

white zee,

I will be running 4 stroke C 16-24 for rest of this year and next year. I just hope I will have the "R" ready in time for West Virginia, I know it's not going to be ready for the make up in Kentucky :( . You going to West Virginia??? If not you should really try to make it to the Ironman in Indiana. It's in my home town. It's supposed to be the hardest, most technical course in the series, not to mention the largest. I didn't think it was bad.........I enjoyed it more than anywhere else I've been. Maybe b/c its onlt 15 min away :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also race GNCC and I still run the stock gearing. I don't have a problem with the stalling. I am used to the dirt bike (crf450r) so I do use the clutch alot. Now that I have the HRC kit I still don't see the need to use a 13t sprocket. Clutch it and go.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by RedRider@Sep 9 2004, 05:16 PM
I also race GNCC and I still run the stock gearing. I don't have a problem with the stalling. I am used to the dirt bike (crf450r) so I do use the clutch alot. Now that I have the HRC kit I still don't see the need to use a 13t sprocket. Clutch it and go.
Do you run stock tires or aftermarket? B)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also race GNCC and I still run the stock gearing. I don't have a problem with the stalling. I am used to the dirt bike (crf450r) so I do use the clutch alot. Now that I have the HRC kit I still don't see the need to use a 13t sprocket. Clutch it and go[/b]

What class do you run??

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by itrytorace@Sep 10 2004, 09:22 AM
I also race GNCC and I still run the stock gearing. I don't have a problem with the stalling. I am used to the dirt bike (crf450r) so I do use the clutch alot. Now that I have the HRC kit I still don't see the need to use a 13t sprocket. Clutch it and go

What class do you run?? [/b][/quote]
If you buy aftermarket tires, which they are bigger than stock. You will notice that the ratio is a little taller. That's when you will want to go with the 13t! :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
im going to sparta, my friend and i are going up there tomarrow night to get a good spot and to reg. im not sure about WV or the ironman, im sure i will be at one of them. i get my wisdom teeth pulled next friday, so that may effect me racing. i dont know what dates the last 2 races are.....

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by itrytorace@Sep 7 2004, 03:45 PM
that was fast! i'm glad you told me it wants to die! i was starting to think i didn't know what in the hell i was doing. since i will be running mostly 1st, 2nd, sometimes 3rd gears do you still think i should leave it at 14 tooth?

hmf said they were so far behind ,my slip-on probably won't even ship until the 14th, i ordered it on 8/31. so, i don't know if i will even have it in time to get it on and jetted before i have to leave for west virginia.  i really don't want to get out there with my bad a$$ new 450R and look like a complete idiot b/c i keep killing it.

i had to borrow my dads truck to go riding, he kept telling  me i didnt know what i was doing and that maybe i should have just got a KFX700 like him......
After you get your bike opened up (If you havent already). Try racing in the woods with both 13 and 14 tooth sprockets. See wich one you like better. Heres Why, If you are racing all the time in 1st or 2nd gear, the 14 tooth sprocket will allow for a broader power spread in each gear. In other words, when you are about to go into a turn with the 13 tooth sprocket. You may have to shift cause your topped out in 1st. Shifting takes time and therefor slows you down. With the 14 tooth you have the little extra on top that will allow you to make it to the corner without having to shift. This applies for 2 also. ...You will find you wont have to shift the bike near as much with the 14 tooth. This has many advantages over the 13. And to be honest I dont think the 13 tooth sprocket accelerates so much faster that you are better off. You are better off not accelerating quite as fast, and this should make you faster anyway cause you dont have to shift as much. ...Just try it and see what you think.

This is why Honda put the 14 tooth on it to begin with......They now what they are doing!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I say 13t with 38 in the rear.... go for a Full system if you go with HMF also.... if you are going with a K&N LEAVE your lid on and dont cut it unless you put baffles around the filter.....

My SIG. is what is on mine and i love it for woods.... CAUSE THAT IS ALL THAT IT SEES...... :D

You will need to ride the Clutch just a little on this machine too in the GNCC trails at times......

If you have ran GNCC before then you will get the hang of this machine fairly quick.....

I will see you at WV with one of the two in my sig..... C CLASS......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts