Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a week old and 10-15 hours on her so far. Everything is stock with the exception of the arrestor core removed. Tonight I noticed the first 6" of the head pipe were glowing a little red. This did not change while riding around. The airbox, filter, and jetting is all stock. This was at 600' alt. I think it is a sign of lean let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think it will be ok , is it like bright red or just a pale color?you may want to go one jet richer(correct me if im wrong anyone)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r@Aug 7 2004, 10:13 PM
Well, whatever you're comfortable calling normal ... IMO it comes from Honda that way so it must be considered normal ... Although, these TRX come very restricted and are leaned back quite a bit ... To do that, Honda puts a very elaborate restrictor in the end of the exhaust to allow the lean jetting ... This elaborate contraption that is part of the end of the exhaust causes the stock exhaust system to be very restrictive and I'm sure contributes to the condition you are explaining ... These things need to breathe and come close to 40% restricted ... I have opened mine up with a full flowing exhaust and HRC kit and she's running now, how these bikes should run new and I have minimal shading of the pipe in the dark ...

If I let her idle long enough in the 100 degree evenings we have, I see a slight tinge but nothing like when it was new and corked up ...

At the minimum, I would somehow open up the airbox whether you get any sort of free flowing lid, remove it or drill holes and then re-jet the carb and at the least put on an HRC end cap on the muffler or similar to open up the exhaust ... There are a couple guys on ebay selling 2" end cap modifiers that replace the very restricting baffle that's in the end under your trim ring ...

Honda makes a kit called the HRC "power-up" kit which includes a very nice engineered bunch of parts to do just what I'm saying and they also include a cam which is not a requirement (It hass revised airbox lid, full jetting, breather T, revised intake snorkel and a tuned end cap for the muffler and race cam) ... The kit can be had for a meager $249 and you could use all but the cam and sell the cam for good money if all you want to do is open up the bike and let it breathe ... $150-$160 is what those cams go for ... Then again, if you want all the bolt on potential from the bike, the cam is a bit involved, but is worth it's weight in gold as part of the kit ...

IMO, everyone that buys a 450R should start with the HRC kit to open up the bike ... And choose one of the many cams for your needs or use the one that comes along with the kit ... For $250 you can't do any better bringing the bike to where it should have been factory if we didn't have such politically correct lawyers having their say at Honda ...

Welcome, Good luck and enjoy your new R ! 
nicely said desert , :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought a HRC kit and it says stock jet is 116 and they are going up to a 185. That is a lot more fuel. I guess it is a EPA BS thing.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Black450R@Aug 9 2004, 11:39 PM
I just bought a HRC kit and it says stock jet is 116 and they are going up to a 185.  That is a lot more fuel.  I guess it is a EPA BS thing.
stock jet is a 118

1 - 5 of 5 Posts