Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm glad I bought a 450R instead of a YFZ. I finally got to ride a YFZ today, and I wasn't too impressed.

The first thing I noticed was how "rough" the motor is compared to the R. It seemed to vibrate a lot. I think the R has a little more kick in the low end too. I really wasn't able to get it up in the powerband to see how it was, so I can't say what that was like.

It also seemed a little cramped. I am 6' 2" and I felt pretty big on it. I think the handlebars needed to be moved or something.

The other little thing is I don't think the brakes were quite as good. The brakes on the Honda are so good, I'll have a tough time going to anything else.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. B)

450R's ROCK!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yep! Gotta love the engineering work from Honda. They don’t come out with the first bike, but they always come out with the best. 250R, 400 EX (not the fastest but by far the best handling and most reliable quad out there), and even to their MX bikes... CR85 (Yamaha was the first to come out with an 85), CRF250 (again Yamaha beat them to it, but the CRF250 is a far better bike... I race MX as well) and the CRF450 (again, Yamaha was first, but nothing can even compare to the CRF450), and now we will move to road bikes... errr you get the point. :lol:

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yup I feel the same way. Very Very glad I got a 450R. One of my friends has a YFZ450 and I have rode it and I didnt really care for it. For one I thought it was really uncomfortable and the way the handlebars are set up makes you sit in a bad position in my opinion and I think it revs out like a 2stroke. Gotta love the Honda.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r@Aug 16 2004, 05:03 AM
Well guys I have to disagree ... Ughh! ... I rode a YFZ yesterday and have to confess I am going to sell my R ... Goodies and all ... There's just no comparison ...

Aaaaaaa, ya ... Yep, I just woke-up ... Sleepwalking at 5am again ... Where them cookiea and milk at ? ... (YAWN) (YAWN) ... Got scared for a minute, thought I was born into a new Yama-Life ... Whew ... (COLD SWEATS)

LOL
lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Am I allowed to say I'm glad that I bought the YFZ?
I'll concede that the TRX brakes stop quicker. The seat might be marginaly softer but my butt couldn't tell much diff. The suspension is softer at slow speed, something I vary rarely do. The TRX may hit a little quicker but seams to run out of breath faster. In the conditions that I ride the YFZ definately has a power advantage ( up long and steep sand hills ) Plus in my opion the YFZ looks more sleak and hunkered down like a race quad. The YFZ puts you in a different riding position than most are used to. At first it seems strange, but after you get used to it everything else seems strange. I am 6'3", and after installing trail tech bars it fits me great! They are both great quads, and I'm glad you guys are happy with them. These are some of the reasons I'm happy with mine. My first quad I ever owned was a Honda. I even had a "follow the leader, he's on a Honda" poster in my room. But it wasn't bulletproof ethier. None of them are.... Yamaha always seemed one step ahead, thats what pulled me over to the dark side. :ph34r: For example, I was into 4wd's at first, but I wanted something that was a little sportier. Honda didn't have it but Yamaha had a Wolverine. Then I got into sport machines, I used to dream of getting a 400EX but then the Raptor came out. After the Rappy came the YFZ! Not all were perfect ethier, but pretty dang good. Plus they were what I was looking for at the moment. Now that I have given you a long and boring history lesson, you can see why I made the choices I did. The YFZ has treated me good so far and unless something major happens I will buy another one in the future. It will be interesting to see what the Z450 is like however.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
i can't wait to see what the z450 will have to offer either :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
In response to your question desert 450r, I think the Wolverine was somewhat of a ground breaker in its day. The only other one I can think of that was close is the Polaris Scrambler 4x4. I wish they would evolve the Wolverine. I think a Wolverine with a YFZ powerplant and good suspension would be awesome. I loved that thing, plus it was very reliable. ^_^ In response to Jumbo 747, I think the Raptor gets an overly bad Rap.... If you guys think the TRX has an inferiorty complex, hang out with the Raptor for a day. :huh: I actualy liked my Rappy alot. They are very comfortable cruisers, and have the capability of alot of power. Granted you have to spend alot more on it than the new bread of 450's... But I think they still sell a ton of those things, so they must do something right.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
the only thing they do right with the raptors is make them look cool...everything else on them is constant maintenance & problems....they are also a piss poor performing & handling machine...I have had a few hours on them & it sucked...my friend with the craptor always wanted to ride my stock 400ex for a reason.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You have obviosly never raced a properly modded Raptor. There are alot of Raptors that can hand it to the 450's.... With the same amount of money in the 450's it would be differen't, but don't underestimate them. They have had some issues, but not nearly as bad as its made out to be. ( I am talking about drag racing, not MX ) I'm not going to defend the Raptor all night becuase I have moved on. But IMO it was a fun quad. ( P.S. Mine was a 727 with FCR carbs, +3 swingarm, ect. )

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
wow...after you dump $4k into that POS guess what you still have...a really expensive POS that is good in a drag race....wow...my stock 450r will beat a 660cc engine.....isnt that just pathetic...the craptor is a joke...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Aug 17 2004, 09:20 PM
wow...after you dump $4k into that POS guess what you still have...a really expensive POS that is good in a drag race....wow...my stock 450r will beat a 660cc engine.....isnt that just pathetic...the craptor is a joke...
I'll bet ya that my 439 will beat your 450! The Raptor is a whole different animal, its not even ment to be compared to the 450's. Besides, you know what they say about opinions.....! ^_^

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Performance+Aug 17 2004, 10:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jumbo747
@Aug 17 2004, 09:20 PM
I'll bet ya that my 439 will beat your 450! The Raptor is a whole different animal, its not even ment to be compared to the 450's. Besides, you know what they say about opinions.....! ^_^ [/b]
Im pretty damn ipmressed with my freinds rapturd, and all he did was jet and pipe it.....it cant be that bad of a machine when we are going through the trails at top speed, and when we get to the end, the rapturd is right in pack....there is more maintenance that goes along with it....but its a nice fast comfortable bike, and people like my friend happen to buy just for that reason...Maybe hes not out to win any races...just enjoy his rapturd...So you dont have to be so nasty about it

and like Performance said. the rapturd was not meant to compete with the 450r...the 450r is a totally new beast, that only the yfz compares to....And you have to admit its a stand up battle between them two.....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey TRX450rlude, You don't need to worry about Jumbo, I read in the paper somewhere that he was run over by a Raptor as a child. :huh: Understandably it has left him a little bitter! :lol:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I cant say anything bad about the YFZ. I have ridden one and it is very quick and handles awsome. Right now im riding a predator, but it is for sale. I have the option of buying the R or the YFZ and im going to go with the R. ONLY because of honda reliability. Other than that, i believe both quads are equal. Im selling my pred because its been in the shop 4 times in the 6 months ive had it. Im ready for a quad i can rely on. B)

·
Registered
215 Posts
bad as in bad, or bad as in good??? :D

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
thats the only thing it has going for it & is the one of the only reason its sales are so high...i also think that number 660 sounds cool & may draw people to it too..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R@Aug 18 2004, 06:31 PM
bad as in bad, or bad as in good???   :D
Bad, as in one of the best looking quads out there. In my opinion!!! B) [/b][/quote]
Yea i agree with you on that it does look really good. I had a 2000 limited additon black and i traded it in for the 450r. If i was going to by another bike today it would be the raptor because it is a more comfortable ride, electric start, and REVERSE i really miss the reverse part. i kept it all stock and it was pretty fast but nothing like the 450.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts