Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 07 trx450er with motor freshly rebuilt with HRC cam, 480 big bore, HRC header with big gun silencer cut to shorty exhaust, jd +1 a-arms, AC racing nerf bars, tag racing +2 steering stem with tag racing bars, DWT rear beadlocks, DWT polished front rims, gripper seat cover, no air box lid and k&n filter. I currently can go 71mph with a 14/38 gearing. I want to try to get it to 80mph. What gearing would I need to reach this speed? I am not worried about loosing any bottom end as it has plenty of that it. I want to beat the top speed of my buddies ltr450 which can go about 76-78mph.

thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smaller rear sprocket. try a 36 or 37.
Thanks I will probably order one of those. I had another thought though instead of gearing it I could get a stage 3 hotcam. Do you think that would get it to 80?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adding power will not make you go even .000001 mph faster.
I thought that the stage 3 hotcam has more top end power than the HRC cam that I have now which has more bottom end power.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stage 3 HC will have most of the power at the end of the RPM range, but like hoser started to mention, HP doesn't =faster. You could have any cam you want, when you change gearing it effects whatever the motors supplying in that gear. Yes stage 1 power peaks lower in the rpm curve, stage 3 power peaks at the end of the rpm curve, Stage 2 is basically the HRC cam's twin brother, he just wakes up a little quicker. But, you take any of those cams and change gearing your changing the ratio of power to RPM. If you have TALL gears you wont be in that gear long before rev limit and shift is needed. So, if you just want to be the fastest out of your bunch, with the info you've provided (no distance to get to speed etc) I believe you ll want as few teeth as possible on both sprockets. There is limits as the chain has to have the right amount of adjustment or your chain will be too long to tighten. I'm no pro at any of this, just going off what I've learned over the years. Also sent a link to gear ratio/speed calculator which allows you to enter a few parameters (tire size, sprocket teeth #, etc) and the calculator will throw back a graph with a lot of useful data, for you its top speed in any one particular gear with your entered setup. www.gearingcommander.com
Also, changing cams can lead a lot more possible mistakes being made during dis-assembly re-assembly, and the time to do so, compared to swapping sprockets just to show your boys what time it is....Make sure your running low psi in your shoes for high speed runs. The psi will almost double spinning that fast in theses little tires which effects circumference, which can lead to wrecks at top speeds, especially on pavement/asphalt
this is a statistical flow chart type for reference
Thankyou for taking the time to break down how all that works I understand it a lot better now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My buddies ltr450 has a barkers exhaust and a cherry bomb on it. Otherwise it is all stock. Some times it runs good other times it doesn’t run currently it isn’t running because his starter went out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
more power wont make you go faster, it will get you there faster. also a stage 3 hot cam with anything other than a big bore or stroker will not allow peak performance.

you are still limited by the gearing.
Ok thanks, I will probably get a stage 3 hotcam in the future along with sending the head out to get ported and set up with stronger springs and valves, and a I will get a dasa exhaust.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the help everybody! I’ll probably put a 36tooth rear sprocket on it for the time being and in a few months or so I’ll get the head built, along with a cam and dasa exhaust.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I found a 33 tooth sprocket laying around from a old 300ex it fit up perfectly. I got 79mph. I still have plenty of torque left to do wheelies and being able to putts around in the lower gears. I have a 14/33 gearing. I officially have the fastest quad in my group lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wanna see this exhaust
Here’s some pictures. The silencer use to be past the grab bar by about and inch . It is not quite as short as a dasa shorty it’s kinda the length of most aftermarket silencers. I cut it because when I was learning to wheelie this quad I could have hit it. this was probably one of the first thing I did to it lol. The paint on it is kinda beat up because when I first installed it I forgot to tighten the bolts all the way and it flew off when I was taking it for a spin down the road🤣. I’m pretty happy with it for now but plan on swapping to a dasa shorty in the near future.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Reactions: Bullvine rider!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok I’m going to hold you to that. I love to keep my quad on the back tires, I’m getting a little older now so I’m not as trigger happy as I use too. I’ll be looking out for your video bud, be safe
here’s a wheelie video at my buddies track. Not the best wheelie because my tire pressure was off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Nice, looks like a nice track too. Must be nice having a buddy with a track, don’t have to worry about everyone and the mother trying to ride on the same track
Yeah it is pretty nice I’ll get a few pictures of it next time I’m over there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
How did he build it? Equipment? Or just riding the track line until it dug in 😆
He used a tractor and built table tops and a few other medium sized jumps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Can we see a video of you hitting the double now? 😆 just keep sendin videos bud, it’s getting a little boring on here
next time I’m over there I’ll try to get a video of the track and a few jumps. I should be over there sometime next week.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Crobalex you riding this weekend or what? I have my quad apart. Took off seat fenders , gas tank , & carb. Checking what jet I have and then ordering rebuild kit. No riding for me yet. Hope you’re out at you buddies track?
Haven’t had time to ride in a while been pretty busy at work. I saw you were taking your quad apart on the forum you created. Looks like it’s going pretty good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Not really, I should have it apart, jetting/pilot written down, put back together and already placing shindy rebuild kit order . But I’m king of procrastination lol. But thanks it’s getting there. As far as the motor mods, I haven’t found a place to bring it yet. My mechanic is too busy right now and there’s a long lead time. But I’m going to be doing port polish, valve job, boyesen quick shot, ceramic piston, higher compression. And a few other things. NO BB kit tho. Keeping stock bore for longevity. I’m also going to strip it down as much as possible to the frame, need to do some sanding and painting at areas that are peeling, rusting etc. I’ll keep it posted. Don’t work too hard, tell your boss you need some PTO, get out there and ride!! Lol. Have fun. Live to ride and ride to live.
Definitely better to keep it stock bore I would done the same thing if I hadn’t gotten a good deal on the big bore kit I have from buddy. I did pretty much the same thing when I rebuilt mine I had it down to just a frame and did some touch up on the frame and greased all the bearings for the rear swing-arm and front suspension along with a few other little things.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts