Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some insight there fellas. :huh:

I tried taking my front plastic off, and when I came to the bolts onthe gas tank. Three came out no problem, and you gueesed it. the fourth Mother F**k'in bolt is like cemented into the brass square nut, that is inbedded in the tank. That little brass f**ker now turns where it lies. I tried to loosen the bolt and I guess I applied to much pressure and it is now loose. However, I figured I could just pull the bolt and brass screw out. Well obviously I can not. Is this thing fastened from within the tank??

I need help boys, before I drop a f**king match in that thing.

One last thought. Do you think warranty would cover it?? I've had the machine for about 3 months.

·
Registered
733 Posts
this happened to me too and this is what i did... take a cut-off tool or reciprocating saw and cut the bolt. you will have to cut right through the spacer too. before you do this, pull your plastics over the bolt. it takes a little elbow greese but it will come of if you get the angle right with minimal damage. once the bolt and spacer are cut, the pressure is off the head of the bolt and if you leave enough bolt, you can grab it and turn with some vise grips. i found that the problem was a combination of overtightening and some corrosion between the brass nuts and spacer. hope this helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Red, I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same problem but on both sides of my gas tank. Which really pisses me off. Anyways i was told to take an easy out kit and drill into the bolt head with the bit that is provided and then when you back the bit out it will grip and back the bolt out too. I havent got anound to trying it yet but i will soon and ill let you know how it goes

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Pitt. Do what Red suggests, it worked like a charm. The plastic fenders are not damaged at all, and once I cut the head off the bolt, I could turn it out by hand. An easy-out won't work. They are only for broken bolts that you can't get a grip on, it will still turn the brass nut.

Thanks again Red.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
this happened to me too, on the left side....I think this should be a warrenty issue...this is a bunch of crap. ..What I did was take the front left plastic and gas tank off as one piece.....I didnt seperate the plastic from the gas tank on the left side, and took it all off as one piece. That way I didnt have to take the bolt out at all. But I still think that some BS, that Honda should take care of....Has anybody asked them yet?...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by TRX450rlude@Aug 17 2004, 12:28 AM
this happened to me too, on the left side....I think this should be a warrenty issue...this is a bunch of crap. ..What I did was take the front left plastic and gas tank off as one piece.....I didnt seperate the plastic from the gas tank on the left side, and took it all off as one piece. That way I didnt have to take the bolt out at all. But I still think that some BS, that Honda should take care of....Has anybody asked them yet?...
i agree if it is the first time you remove the bolt. but in my case, it was my fault. i overtightened my bolt after doing some work. although, there was some corrosion to blame as well. <_<

oh yeah... almost forgot, glad i could help ya Outlwd.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Same thing happened to me too happened this weekend. It was on the cluth side and it pisses me off. So does anyone know if it is covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well I have the same problem as well! It is due in part to my putting red loctite on it but it seems that this is def a problem with all of our quads. I didn't realize that red loctite is to be used when you only want to take it off using heat! I will only use blue from now on. I was tired of loosing bolts off my Z400 all the time so I started using the red and hadn't had a problem until now. I did the same thing as lude did and just left the plastic bolted to the gas tank and took them off together.
My suggestion is that we all write to Honda as well as contact our dealers about this problem. I am sure that Honda will be willing to fix the problem for those of us that haven't added to the reason for the brass nuts stripping. And hopefully they will come up with a better way of fastening the plastic for '06.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i thought about velcro strips... the BIG industrial ones. that stuff holds tight. if it happens again, i will probably cut some to custom fit and try it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts