Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so my 2006 trx450 has been sitting for two weeks or so, I smelled strong odor of gas in my garage, saw a small puddle under it. I looked closer and it’s pooling up just under the starter I think. It appears to be coming from the carb somewhere. Now this is the first time I left the gas on, usually I shut it off and let it run for a minute to use up gas in bowl. But didn’t this time. Why would it leak and from where?? I’ll send a pic shortly.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Auto part Automotive fuel system Gas Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
It actually dried up, I shut gas off last night. But it was pooling up under cylinder behind the ground wire, I imagine that’s the starter. But the big screw at bottom of carb bowl is still a little wet in next pic? Anyone ever had this happen? Why is it leaking? This quad has been a solid reliable rock up until now. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here’s a pic of the other side, it seems to be more wet on this side, but can’t tell where it’s coming from. As you can see there’s a drop on the gently hose so……….. where’s it coming from?
Automotive tire Tread Helmet Automotive wheel system Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Truck Yea
5,944 Posts
buy shindy carb rebuild kit (quality parts). replace the carb bowl gasket, float needled and clean carb.

make sure that the fuel hose is in good shape, possible its dry rotted. i replace them every few years.

not much else can leak but the pet c ock, but if it dont leak with the gas off then i doubt its bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is your float bowl seal pinched? I’d replace your seal and get a new one. My z400 and 400ex did this after I was rejeting them and put it all back together. Replaced the seal and they were good

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
buy shindy carb rebuild kit (quality parts). replace the carb bowl gasket, float needled and clean carb.

make sure that the fuel hose is in good shape, possible its dry rotted. i replace them every few years.

not much else can leak but the pet c ock, but if it dont leak with the gas off then i doubt its bad.
Yea it’s probably time to maintenance the carb so I’ll get the kit. What’s a good site to order? I like Texiera tech. It’s gotta be coming from the gasket.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your float bowl seal pinched? I’d replace your seal and get a new one. My z400 and 400ex did this after I was rejeting them and put it all back together. Replaced the seal and they were good
I can’t tell but if I’m going to take the bowl off and replace the gasket, I might as well do a rebuild while it’s apart like CJM said. But thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts