Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WANT TO BY A PIPE FOR MY 450R & Dont know if I need the head pipe or not.
Im running a hrc end cap,EHS air box lid,sparks filter kit,sparks needle 3rd clip,
180 main (it spuderd a little on top end with 185),2 turns out air/fuel screw & the
other free mods I learned about on the HOW TO UNCORK THE 450R FAQ POST.
The quad runs perfect right now but looking for a little more POWER.I mostly ride
desert,dunes & a little at the MX track.I like what I have been reading about the
DR.D & HMF.Is the head pipe worth the money or is the stock header ok?

If I ever get a cam it will be the sparks.For now stock cam.

thanks for the info !!!!!!!!!!
Dave --- Peoria,AZ

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any help on this topic?Dont want to buy a headpipe if I dont need to. :huh:

THANKS

DAVE

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Buy a Dr.D, you'll be more than happy. I have an all stock motor w a Dr.D and this weekend at Florence I was beating Full systems with ease. granted rider ability is a factor. Watch for Dr.D on ebay through Partsdirect.com

Also I thought you were selling Both 450s <_<

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I read sumwhere(i think it was on this site) that there is no need to buy a head pipe unless you plan on doing major engine work. Im not sure if this is true or not...but how much different can a header really be.....it all must come outta the same hole
and end in the same spot...how can a header matter so much
?

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's not worth the extra cost over getting a DR.D for about $200 bucks, putting the rest in your pocket, and getting miles of smiles! :D

Unless you're going wacko big bore, or ultra high compression you just don't need it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by Speedbump@Sep 27 2004, 07:15 PM
Buy a Dr.D, you'll be more than happy. I have an all stock motor w a Dr.D and this weekend at Florence I was beating Full systems with ease. granted rider ability is a factor. Watch for Dr.D on ebay through Partsdirect.com

Also I thought you were selling Both 450s <_<
Hey, just curious, are you using the Dr. D quiet core? Florence has a 93db limit and I was looking to buy a Dr. D but wanted to collect people's experiences w/the quiet core first. Whatever the case, glad to hear it's working well for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can't beat the price of the Dr. D. My friends with Yamaha 450's swear by them. Also you get to keep your stock pipe with the heat sheild on it.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
dndj, No quiet core for me. Compared to some other companies this thing is quiet. Also if your not riding like a jacka$$ chances are sound payrol isnt going to bother you. The other option is when you see them start shifting gears and head to the tree lines :ph34r: If your in Oregon maybe we can set something up for you to hear it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by Speedbump@Sep 27 2004, 11:38 PM
dndj, No quiet core for me. Compared to some other companies this thing is quiet. Also if your not riding like a jacka$$ chances are sound payrol isnt going to bother you. The other option is when you see them start shifting gears and head to the tree lines :ph34r: If your in Oregon maybe we can set something up for you to hear it.
I'm actually headed to Florence in 2 weeks, Oct 7-10. If there's any chance you'll be there at the same time PM me and we'll set something up.

I have heard the HRC endcaps come in around 96db. How does it sound compared to an HRC endcap on a stocker? The limit is 93 but the patrol dudes will give 2db margin for measurement variance, so 96 is close enough for me. I want to do my part and avoid giving them any more excuses for new "noise buffer closures" and less area to ride. :( :( :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r@Sep 27 2004, 10:12 PM
4TRAXEX,

How does she run with the HRC kit and the DRD ... I had fun with a DS650 Baja yesterday ... Boy did he think he was bad ... Until we ran a couple short drags up to 3rd - 4th gear ... It was a slaughter and I couldn't even keep the front down on the first launch ...
dez: Well, I can't comment on the full kit yet, the cams the only thing left to put in. I wanted to try things out in stages just to see what kind of changes each step made. The slip on was first since it was a 5 minute swap, and after that I was so pumped up I said the heck with it and did the jetting, airbox pieces and Sparks filter. It was nice to be able to tear into this thing, put it back together, kick it about two times and hear her bark!

My testing so far has been limited to a few parking lot runs with just the DR.D(Worked all weekend) and that was quite an impressive difference over stock. On the pavement it just wants to rip the front end off the ground in 1st/2nd something fierce. Unfortunately after that I run out of lot! It revs so much quicker and smoother, plus first gear doesn't feel so high anymore. Tight low speed turns cause way less lugging/clutch feathering.

I got the rest of the stuff done yesterday and just haven't been able to try it out other than a quick spin. As mentioned it fired right up, but I have no idea how close the jetting is. At first it had a slight hesitation at idle when you would jam the throttle (and I mean jam as quick as you can) but that went away as soon as it was running a couple of minutes. I did open up the air screw about a 1/4-1/2 turn but I'm not real keen on how that effects things just yet. I need to get it out and actually open it up. It sure feels like a whole different animal and almost makes me afraid of the cam!

Here's my take on the noise level. At first I thought it was pretty loud but I would say it is quiter than a lot of the "big" pipes. I have the quiet core which is said to take it down to around 94 db or so. I tried the core out in the garage, but that is sorta useless since it just echos off of everything.

Try this pipe out, you can't go wrong with it especially for the price. Fit and finish are great, and honestly it sounds awesome. Tight and aggressive, but not obnoxious. I'm like dez, I don't care so much for the look (I like a round can with a traditional "spout") but it is sort of unique. The clearance is excellent and it is much lighter than that spud gun that comes from the factory.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
dndj, I will try to remember that weekend and see if I can make it. Pm me closer to then and I'll see what i can do. Just in case I'm able to make it where will you be staying?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts