Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a fuel filter mod on their trx450?
My local honda shop recommends to put one on, but i thought that fuel injection was when thats needed , not carbs? If its such a good mod why didnt honda put one on from factory? I guess it cant hurt to do so but wanted to see if anyone on here has it

·
Registered
639 Posts
Not a bad idea to put a Fuel Filter in line, it's kind of hard to make it look decent with the OEM style fuel hose but it can be done (and I have done it when my old petcock valve was bad). Now that I have a new PetCock Valve in my quad I don't need one any more because they are made with fine mesh screen inside the tank already that filters the fuel prior to entering the Valve.

The ones I like the most are these ones linked below.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok yea thats the one ive been looking at, and the size of the hose isnt the issue, and not worried about aesthetics. Its the VERY short distance between petcock and fuel intake on carb. So i guess my final question is, if i make the hose a little longer to fit the fuel filter between the short distance from tank to carb, will it slow down fuel flow and run lean?
Im going to check the petcock valve and see if it needs replacement, if it does im still going to put the fuel filter on (extra protection can't hurt) unless its in conflict with performance. I see a lot of this mod on every fuel injected sport quad out there. Which is every model basically except for Honda lol.
I guess the other knowledgeable guys don’t have the mod Either Unless they haven’t seen the post yet. Hope someone posts up that they do have one,so i can justify doing it 😂.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,963 Posts
As mentioned, there’s a filter on the petcock in the tank. It’s a very fine screen. If something is small enough to pass through there it’s not going to do any damage or clog anything in the carb. I personally have never run a filter, and don’t see the need to, but to each his own.

·
Truck Yea
6,053 Posts
20 years seriously riding and i have yet to run a fuel filter on anything

Reactions: hoser

·
Truck Yea
6,053 Posts
^ every weekend pretty much unless its pouring or snowing. idk thats a pretty serious commitment right? i never once had my carb all gummed up. key is to ride it or drain it fully. letting it sit will gum the carb up

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my quad can sit for weeks sometimes, i run premium pump gas so unless i switched to vp or one of the expensive stuff (20$ a gallon) i cant run anything better. But like cjm said drain carb or ride it too empty b4 it sits and wont have to clean it. But the filter cant hurt. Ive seen it on many quads except the trx450. So ill go against the grain, thanks gentlemen

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your fuel has ethanol in it, you need to change your fuel.
Doesn’t all pump gas have ethanol? Thats what i use premium pump gas. Not sure if it has ethanol. If so where do i get ethanol free gas,”? aside from the 20$ a gallon for drag race engines.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Every pump around here has 91 premium no ethanol. Using it in quads and all small engines is a night and day difference.
Really!? Yes i know ethonal is no good. But all gas stations around here have like 10% ethanol, ans when i look it up it says ethanol is everywhere. Whats the names of gas stations in your area? Any brand names?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Really!? Yes i know ethonal is no good. But all gas stations around here have like 10% ethanol, ans when i look it up it says ethanol is everywhere. Whats the names of gas stations in your area? Any brand names?
It’s the same with me I run 93 and that has ethanol in it. Same with the 91 and 87. I’ve been running 93 in mine forever though and I’ve been perfectly fine never had the need to clean my carb or anything like that. I’ve taken it apart the carb once in the 5 years I’ve ridden it and I didn’t even need to. I believe my dad who I bought it from only took it apart once and he has owned it since 08 and that was to rejet it for the dg slip on.

·
Cane Rider!
1,345 Posts
Search your area using Pure-gas.org for Non-Ethanol fuel. They also have an app. It’s not always current, but it’s a starting point.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
20 years seriously riding and i have yet to run a fuel filter on anything
[/QUO
Search your area using Pure-gas.org for Non-Ethanol fuel. They also have an app. It’s not always current, but it’s a starting point.
ok that hels. Thanks thrown stones, but not in a glass house 😂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts