Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
1 tooth smaller = more acceleration and lower gears (easier in tight trails)

1 tooth larger = more top speed (don't think you need this, very difficult to launch, unless you are in a lonnnnng drag or maybe in the desert??)

An alternative is changing the rear sprocket, more teeth = more acceleration and less teeth = more top speed (opposite from front) Keep in mind that you will need to change more than 1 tooth to get a dramatic change in gearing...

·
Registered
115 Posts
1-tooth smaller (13T) improves low-end torque but reduces top speed (if you ever get going that fast).

1-tooth larger (15T) would have the opposite effect. It's hard to imagine going larger on a 450R unless you were doing some wide-open high-speed riding.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
one tooth down will make your gears lower...(slower in first). One tooth up will gear you higher....(faster 1st gear). This quad with the 14 tooth front sprocket is geared really high...its good for a MX setup, but if you ride in any trails you will find it to be geared to high...therefor you are riding the clutch the whole time....one tooth down will give you more acceleration. One tooth up will give you more top end....

1 tooth in front = 3 teeth in back....does this answer your question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, bear with me here, so, 1 tooth smaller will make the bike 'quicker'? It's going to take me thru the rev cycle faster, which means that I would be quicker off the line compared to a stock configuration?

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by RadDad450r@Jun 22 2004, 12:58 PM
ok, bear with me here, so, 1 tooth smaller will make the bike 'quicker'? It's going to take me thru the rev cycle faster, which means that I would be quicker off the line compared to a stock configuration?
Correct, if you are refering to the front sprocket. But, you will lose some top end (even though it is rediculously fast and you don't even need to hit top speed) :D

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Thanks, Welcome to the site! its good to see you over here! :D

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Thanks guys.

I've been browsing this forum for quite some time now, and I decided to finally join. It has excellent potential to be the place to go without all the B.S.!!!!!!!!!! Keeping the riff-raff out is hard to do!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I WAS WONDERING IF THE CRF450 FRONT SPROKET WILL FIT ON 450R

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Yes, the crf sprocket is the same.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Yes, the crf sprocket is the same.