Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any tricks to aligning a quad?

I am used to doing sleds. I assume that it will be the same...long straigt edge etc...

It seems that when my bars are straight that the steering stops on the frame are off center or the steering post mounting plate for the tie rods is on crooked.

Also...I'm not sure that I agree with Hondas specs for the toe in. On a sled you NEVER want toe in, I wonder if that is why it is so twitchy on the top end. I am familiar with the theories and geometry behind bump steer, A-arm and tie rod rotational radi.

Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
At my Honda dealer they told me that Honda specs for toe-out is suppose to be 2 inches. But when they did that, the customers complains so now they put 1 inche of toe out and they find it perfect.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I set the toe in at around 1/8 inch measured about 4 inches behind the tire. I didn't check what this was at the tire surface.

The bike tracked arrow straight, not twitchy like it was stock. The bars don't turn as easy and I did notice some push going into quick, sharpI notice that when under hard braking the front wheels would toe out slightly (at least that is what it looked like riding on fresh wet sand).

I need to get a little more toe in set....

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
My Toe in is 1/4" total..... and 3.5 deg. of camber.....

If you have the ability and resources do what i did.... get 2 8x6x1/2" metal angles... ( They are big and heavy and stright as an arrow..) and lay them next to your quad on either side.... then mesure them from your hubs in rear , in front and behind, to get the same mesurement on both sides..... then you have something to mesure off of to your front hub or middle of tire....

I have always been told 1/4" toe in.... that is how every mechanic i know has done it for years.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
the reason for the toe in is to make it easier to turn. it somewhat doesn't help when tracking straight because your not using all your tire (dynamics and friction). Killer-you might try 0 degrees because of your a-arms...you don't really need that extra toe in because of your camber adjustment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts