Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this 05 450r and would like to put a new piston and rings in it b/c I don't know how many hours are on the bike. I want to step up to 12.1 like the newer 06-08's but need to know if the newer pistons will work in this 05. I plan on keeping it on pump gas and like the reliabilty of a Honda piston but I will go with a CP or Weisco if it won't work. I put a Hotcam stage 2, Curtis sparks pipe, needle, jetted it to 165 with and open airbox and the bike runs great. I saw where I can buy Honda piston rings and pin for $125.00 but just don't know if the newer style pistons will work in the 05's. Lastly I wanted to know what kind of Horsepower can be gained by going with the titanium valves? Thanks clint

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
yes, upgrage on the piston.

site sponsors woodward & kbr sell some 12.1 pistons. if you want to spend alittle more
venom has a 12.25

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
but the original question i believe is if a stock 06 piston will work in the 04-05 and no it wont, because they are different bore sizes

BUT like sandy said site sponsers sell pistons in just about all comp ratios for good prices, the venom is a very nice piston and i love mine at 14.25:1 comp but they are a little more coin then any of the shelf pistons but they are more high performance, but they come in 12.25:1 also which is a pump gas piston

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but the original question i believe is if a stock 06 piston will work in the 04-05 and no it wont, because they are different bore sizes

BUT like sandy said site sponsers sell pistons in just about all comp ratios for good prices, the venom is a very nice piston and i love mine at 14.25:1 comp but they are a little more coin then any of the shelf pistons but they are more high performance, but they come in 12.25:1 also which is a pump gas piston[/b]
How much is that Venom 12.25.1 piston? I am going to order some parts next week so thanks for the help guys. I saw where I could buy a new crank for $250 also from Service Honda so should I swap the crank while the engine will be apart?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I recently purchased this 05 450r and would like to put a new piston and rings in it b/c I don't know how many hours are on the bike. I want to step up to 12.1 like the newer 06-08's but need to know if the newer pistons will work in this 05. I plan on keeping it on pump gas and like the reliabilty of a Honda piston but I will go with a CP or Weisco if it won't work. I put a Hotcam stage 2, Curtis sparks pipe, needle, jetted it to 165 with and open airbox and the bike runs great. I saw where I can buy Honda piston rings and pin for $125.00 but just don't know if the newer style pistons will work in the 05's. Lastly I wanted to know what kind of Horsepower can be gained by going with the titanium valves? Thanks clint[/b]

Stock 04/05 pistons are 94mm...and 06 up use 96mm pistons.If you want to bump your compression you will have to buy an aftermarket piston.Wiseco,JE,CP all make high compression pistons...as well as some custom ones that are offered by some racing/performance shops.

Also....you say you are running a 165 jet with an open airbox....what jets are you using (Dyno or Keihin)?If you are using Keihin jets you are way too lean.

Lastly...titanium valves are not going offer you any real hp gain and are very expensive.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recently purchased this 05 450r and would like to put a new piston and rings in it b/c I don't know how many hours are on the bike. I want to step up to 12.1 like the newer 06-08's but need to know if the newer pistons will work in this 05. I plan on keeping it on pump gas and like the reliabilty of a Honda piston but I will go with a CP or Weisco if it won't work. I put a Hotcam stage 2, Curtis sparks pipe, needle, jetted it to 165 with and open airbox and the bike runs great. I saw where I can buy Honda piston rings and pin for $125.00 but just don't know if the newer style pistons will work in the 05's. Lastly I wanted to know what kind of Horsepower can be gained by going with the titanium valves? Thanks clint[/b]

Stock 04/05 pistons are 94mm...and 06 up use 96mm pistons.If you want to bump your compression you will have to buy an aftermarket piston.Wiseco,JE,CP all make high compression pistons...as well as some custom ones that are offered by some racing/performance shops.

Also....you say you are running a 165 jet with an open airbox....what jets are you using (Dyno or Keihin)?If you are using Keihin jets you are way too lean.

Lastly...titanium valves are not going offer you any real hp gain and are very expensive.
[/b]
Thanks but I just went from a 170 to a 165 this week b/c the plug looked too rich with the 170. The weather is really hot and humid so I was thinking that is why it's rich. What do most 05's with just a cam, no lid and pipe normally run at 3,000' above sealevel?

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Clint..... you got some accurate advise already....

NO...the 06/newer stock pistons will not work in your 04/05 as is...

the good news...there are a lot of high quality aftermarket pistons..... my favorite.....the Venom.... if you want pump gas....stick with their pump gas 12.25:1 piston for your machine......I dont know the price....but probably $250 plus......well worth it if you ask me...

second......the Ti valves dont necessarily gain HP....they do free up some weight in the valve train area.....meaning you have less falve float/bounce during high rpm use with high lift/aggressive cams..... and this is basically what Ti valves are used for..... but in the basic 8000-10000 rpm power band with the mods you have....you would virtually gain nothing.......and have some increased wear...... I personally like Ti valves...and I run them......but I spend a lot of time 'tinkering' with my machine......and I like 'playing' with it as well.....but if you want to just start and go...w/o worrying about valve clearances etc....just stick with the SS valves........

the Venom piston as compared to your stock 10.5:1 boat anchor....will be night and day.......she will definitely have more power and rev quicker over stock.........

as for the 165 main jet...I cant really say whether that is Lean or Rich...cuzz I dont know your altitude, filter choices, etc..... but it might be a tad lean on your 04/05 machine...... if your not 100% sure on your jetting.... think about a #175/180 or so..... depending on your altitude...if your up in the 4000 foot range however....your good to go.....

jmho......and as usual...im probably wrong....lol

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

the good news...there are a lot of high quality aftermarket pistons..... my favorite.....the Venom.... if you want pump gas....stick with their pump gas 12.25:1 piston for your machine......I dont know the price....but probably $250 plus......well worth it if you ask me...

second......the Ti valves dont necessarily gain HP....they do free up some weight in the valve train area.....meaning you have less falve float/bounce during high rpm use with high lift/aggressive cams..... and this is basically what Ti valves are used for..... but in the basic 8000-10000 rpm power band with the mods you have....you would virtually gain nothing.......and have some increased wear...... I personally like Ti valves...and I run them......but I spend a lot of time 'tinkering' with my machine......and I like 'playing' with it as well.....but if you want to just start and go...w/o worrying about valve clearances etc....just stick with the SS valves........

the Venom piston as compared to your stock 10.5:1 boat anchor....will be night and day.......she will definitely have more power and rev quicker over stock.........

as for the 165 main jet...I cant really say whether that is Lean or Rich...cuzz I dont know your altitude, filter choices, etc..... but it might be a tad lean on your 04/05 machine...... if your not 100% sure on your jetting.... think about a #175/180 or so..... depending on your altitude...if your up in the 4000 foot range however....your good to go.....

jmho......and as usual...im probably wrong....lol[/b]
Yeah you guys lost me on the pistons but just to throw it out there, I run the sparks pipe with lid off and Im using a 175 main and it runs perfect. The sparkplug couldnt look better either. But im also at sea level. Also not to hijack but are the 12.50:1 pistons from CP pump gas?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

jmho......and as usual...im probably wrong....lol[/b]
Thanks guys but I have not checked the plug since I put the 165 so it maybe a little lean but the bike runs great with the 165. Why do the newer bikes run smaller jets b/c the FCR? I will probably go with the Venom piston and a good valve job on the head so what do you guys reccomend? I am also running a twin air filter and the bike had a 185 when I bought it but it has gone quicker each time I went down a couple jet sizes when racing my buddies 05 450 that is ported, 11.5.1 piston and stage 3 cam. I consistantly beat him or run neck and neck with him. Also hes running a 185 which is too rich also but I am not helping him with his quad so that it is quicker than mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts