Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my 450r, frame is sandblasted and working on some extra gussets here n there and fixing cracks...
I noticed the hole that connects the swingarm and motor to the frame has got some clearance is this normal does it need some clearance, or is it slightly worn out?
Since im welding and the frame is blasted, I figured I drill the hole larger to 22mm (15->22mm) and make a small bushing that has a outer diameter of 22mm and inner of 15 mm and 8mm thick wel it in and grind it smooth so the pivot bolt fits nice n snug.

i have had some issues with the lower motor mounts to crack, could this be caused due to the clearance in the frame by the pivot bolt that causes the motor to move slightly and crack the lower motor mount?

thnx guys

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,257 Posts
It’s hard to tell exactly how much clearance you have from that pic. I’ll try to remember to throw a bolt in a frame and see what it looks like, but the hole should be pretty close in size to the bolt. Personally, if I was doing it, I would weld a new “washer” on top of that hole instead of worrying about bushings And what not. Most of the force holding that bolt in place is from the clamping pressure when you torque it down.

·
Truck Yea
5,466 Posts
Once you torque that sucker down it will pull the frame closed pretty much. I zap mine on with a cordless impact gun cause I dont ever want it coming loose, and I locttite it. Id also just weld a washer.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,257 Posts
Once you torque that sucker down it will pull the frame closed pretty much. I zap mine on with a cordless impact gun cause I dont ever want it coming loose, and I locttite it. Id also just weld a washer.
You’ll likely never have a problem, but I would be careful about over torquing that bolt and putting excess stress on it and possibly causing it to fracture. I would stick with the recommended 80 ft lb of torque. I’ve never had on come loose.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up welding the hole little by little and carefully grinded the hole round to the correct size, the bold fits perfect now and centerhole measurements are good to👍

There was a 1,5mm gap

I will keep the 80lbs in mind for the bold👍

Thing is, i Can still reach the hole now, after the gussets i cant..

·
Truck Yea
5,466 Posts
You’ll likely never have a problem, but I would be careful about over torquing that bolt and putting excess stress on it and possibly causing it to fracture. I would stick with the recommended 80 ft lb of torque. I’ve never had on come loose.
Im not cranking it down like that lol..cmon what do you take me for man?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts