Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this does help alittle with the stock shock. The things on top of the springs spin( i think it is the preload adjuster) and will make your bike sit alittle lower too. hit the top one by puting maybe a screw driver on it and hitting it with a hammer. once the top one is at the very top of the threads on the shock it is now time to turn the bottom one all the way up.(MAKE SURE you make them both tite together) you may want to put it on a lift which will make it a little easier. after that turn the compression all the way down(adjustor on the bottom of the shock). it will give it less travel but i have been launching off 8 foot high ledges and only the front shocks bottom out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The adjuster at the bottom of the shock is your rebound not your compression. What you are doing is slowing the rate at which the shock returns to its normal ride heigth. Which is Great for not having the rear end kick back on you. But bad for traction in choppy conditions + It will pack up on you in a whoop section or a choppy trail because when the shock compresses it will not have enough time to return back before the next bump. What you said is Definetly a good idea for what you are doing, like those 8 foot drop offs
...might want to go 4-5 clicks back in to regain your traction if you notice it struggling for traction in the rough stuff. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by liveformx64@Jul 18 2004, 03:21 PM
The adjuster at the bottom of the shock is your rebound not your compression.
Sounds to me like he's talking about removing all of the the preload, not adjusting the damping.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah adjust the preload so it is turned up all the way to the top of the threads of the shock and it helps alot

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by trx450Rrider@Jul 18 2004, 05:04 PM
yeah adjust the preload so it is turned up all the way to the top of the threads of the shock and it helps alot
Does it bang around a lot when you compress the shock and the spring contacts the locking rings?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah but if u turn it up all the way it doesnt

·
Registered
314 Posts
You know, on my old DS650 I went through and adjusted the preload on all 3 shocks for my weight and it made a world of difference but when I did it I had measurments to go by. Does anyone know what the measurents are on the 450R? When I say measurments I mean how much sag it is supposed to have with the rider on vs. the rider off. I could deffinetly see how this makes a world of difference on the 450R as well and I cant believe I havent seen any write ups on how to adjust them. IMO, the 450R is DANGEROUS from the factory because the shocks are setup so stiff that hitting more than a couple woops in 3rd or 4th could result in the rider being bucked right off the quad over the handle bars.That is my only gripe at this point on this thing, I cant understand how someone as big as Honda came out with a quad with so much power and then slacked off when it came time to design the suspension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts