Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have pictures or directions on how to raise the airbox on a 450r to work with the GT Thunder rear link. On the website it says to raise the box 1/4"

Hate to trial and error something like this - if someone can give me suggestions I would appreciate it greatly.

thanks
Carson

·
Registered
986 Posts
i didn't have to raise my box and it dosen't seem to be hitting or rubbing anything
i think he has two links and one is for a diff. set-up and i believe that one requires the air box modification.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What linkage did you get. GT Thunder just got my shock today to be revalved and I am getting the MX style linkage. They never told me anything about raising my air box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ask him I have the xc link and I had to raise my box 3/8" Of course I didnt know that until after I cracked my air box! :wacko:

Check his web sight it tells ya there to raise the box,

I just rivoted some aluminium brackets on the inside and redrilled holes higher and installed the grommets and used longer bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i cannot find the info about the airbox. where is it? maybe im blind or my computer is junk or both. where is this info on the site and why does the airbox have to be moved?
thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
I got mine back today and installed it. No hitting the airbox (yet).

Here is a couple of pics. I don't get to test it out until this weekend. Sucks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Another

·
Registered
552 Posts
another

·
Registered
552 Posts
Another

·
Registered
552 Posts
Another

·
Registered
552 Posts
Last one. Just cause

Sorry so many pics. Just glad to have it off the stands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by the450r@Oct 7 2004, 09:26 PM
i cannot find the info about the airbox. where is it? maybe im blind or my computer is junk or both. where is this info on the site and why does the airbox have to be moved?
thanks
Here's the link second paragraph
HERE

·
Registered
552 Posts
You got the XC style linkage.

This link maintains the stock wheel travel but lowers the bike correctly for XC racing using 20 inch tires and aftermarket front shocks. With this link you will need to raise your air box 1/4 inch to maintain proper clearance. With no change in spring preload, this link will lower your rear end 2 inches. I also use this link when setting up a TT bike. Again, you will need to cutout your skid plate to make room for this link. Package price again is $250.00.

You might have to call them to get suggestions on how to raise it. I have heard other people just drilling new holes in the air box a 1/4 in down from the original spots...Good luck

·
Registered
552 Posts
I mailed it on Wednesday 30 Sept, he got it one the Tuesday 05 Oct, and mailed it to me on the 6th. I paided for 3 day air but that did not include delivery on Saturday. I would of had it monday but the Holiday delayed it one day. Really fast turn around though.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Yeah the Elka linkage is the same way... i cracked the POOP out of my air box... the bolt on the swing arm came through and damn near hit my Filter.....
:wacko:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here's a pic of my stock skid plate after I cut it to make room for the GT Thunder linkage.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Forgot to attach the pic. Here you go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts