Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer told me 10 hours and currently I have about 5 hours and am going riding this weekend and was going to change the oil before I did. Anyway, I cant seem to find anyone with a filter in stock so I was going to wait till the dealer recomended 10 hours. Am I ok doing this?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
change it immediately..5 hours is at most what I would do...I changed mine after first tank of gas..make sure you change your oil filter too...10 hours is along time for the initial oil change.....that sounds about right for the routine

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that is what I was thinking. Im guestimating saying 5 hours, Im only on my second tank of gas. I called the dealer and he said 10 hours is the first oil change.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by Lason@Jul 23 2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah that is what I was thinking. Im guestimating saying 5 hours, Im only on my second tank of gas. I called the dealer and he said 10 hours is the first oil change.
10 hours is prob. what his dealer told him when he bought his car...most dealers are complete idiots...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Jumbo747+Jul 23 2004, 05:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lason
@Jul 23 2004, 02:31 PM
10 hours is prob. what his dealer told him when he bought his car...most dealers are complete idiots... [/b]
Huh?? MY dealer said 10 hours. I think the manual says that too. O well, screw it Im waiting on the oil change, it isnt going to hurt anything Im sure.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i changed my oil after my first day of riding(@3hrs). the reason... many people say that the oil put in at the factory has the viscosity of penut oil. ok, maybe a little facetious. true or not, you can only be sure if you put it in yourself. i just felt way more comfortable knowing what was in my machine and how much(trany side). i am anal, so i ordered the service manual the same day as my purchase and didn't do any riding after the initial break-in until i received my manual and went over the entire maintenance section... that included all fluid levels and cable adjustments, etc. and, like many others, my throttle cable was not adjusted properly either. so... in a situation like yours, i would at least do an oil change w/o new filter before another ride. then, do another oil and filter change as soon as you get that filter. don't forget, your first oil change is important. after break-in, you may have a small amount of metal/debris in your oil and filter.
comments...

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
After I broke mine in 2hrs and went on one good ride 3yrs, I changed my oil. Now that it's broke in, I change my oil every two rides!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I change mine every 3-5hrs or 2 races. Have done it on the C'Dale for nearly 2 years so no big deal for me.

And speaking of idiot dealers. I'm sponsored by my local one which is also where I bought it. They look at it and change the oil for me after raced by the way. They've been telling customers to leave in the oil after break-in for atleast 5 tanks of gas. Then they're saying to change it every 10 or so tanks. So far they said nobody's had problems but I can't see that being good for the length of life of an engine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it wasnt as bad as I thought. I had my trail tech speedo with me yesterday and I did a lot more riding than I did last weekend and I only put 2 1/2 hours on it so I figure I got 4 hours on it now. Anyway I did my first oil change just now and couldnt believe how little oil the 450R uses
. I bought 4 quarts of Mobile 1 red top and it took less than 1. I even kicked it over a couple time when draining the oil to make sure I got most of it out. Im used to my DS650 that held 5 quarts in the oil tank. O, well I got 3 quarts of mobile 1 left over and an extra filter for my next change so Im not running all over town looking for one. I didnt change my tranny oil because I have a Rekluse clutch coming in and Ill wait untill then to do it. Do you guys think Quaker State 10w-40 will be ok in the tranny side? I heard the clutch doesnt like synthetic so I picked up the quaker state to use in there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was told that the oil the bike comes with from the factory is very thin. This is to aid in break-in. I think that after 2 tanks you would want to change it ASAP, especially if you run it high in thye heat cycle ( dunes...).

·
Registered
218 Posts
10w-40 is a little light to be using in the gearbox side! Honda uses an 80w oil in it! You can run the 10w-40, but I wouldn't reccomend it. As far as the amount of hours before your first oil change, all dealers say ten hours. They say that for just about every quad out there. And always change the filter when you change oil or you are just wasting your time and money!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by durabluz400@Jul 27 2004, 09:15 PM
10w-40 is a little light to be using in the gearbox side! Honda uses an 80w oil in it! You can run the 10w-40, but I wouldn't reccomend it.
Good thought. I may grab some gear oil tomorrow since I just threw in some 10-40 tonight and havent ran it.

**EDIT** Just an observation my owners manual says to use 10W-40. Why would they say that and then put 80W in there?????

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
80W 2 stroke oil is EQUAL to 10W30 motor. If you look on the back of a quart of Golden Spectro 80W it say use were 10W30 is recommended. I use it in my tranny side and I use the full synthetic 20W50 in the engine side. The reason is says 2 stoke oil is a 2 stoke doesn't have oil in the engine. It only has oil in the transmission. The engine is lubricated from the oil in the fuel. Before the 450R almost all 4 stroke engine had the same oil running through the engine and the trans. Since there is no room for a large oil pan they had to install an oil tank. That's why it says 2 stroke oil on the Golden Stecto 80W because they don't want you running through the engine in your 4 stroke. That won't happen with the 450R, because of having to seperate sumps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I watched the dealer prep my bike there is no peanut oil. They poured GN4 in the engine striaght from the bottle. They filled the transmission with the red CR type lube. The oil darkened qiockly looking through the sight glass. I am changing it after a dune trip for break in. Then I am switching to Mobil 1 15-50 red label.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts