Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope everyone is doing well

Im out here in Elgin, Oklahoma. No, you have not heard of it

I grew up riding, started on a 90, 250, 300EX, 06' 450r riding progression. My 450 was a true R kickstart. It had Flexx handlebars and after market bead-locks, Jetted and intake, nerf-bars. I absolutely LOVED that thing as kid.

Back in 2020 right around Covid beginning, I wanted to build the same bike out of nostalgia and had some extra funds and decided to pull the trigger.

I went ahead and paid $3,000 for an 07 TRX450ER. IT was a local craigslist find, about 3 hours form my house. She was in rough shape, but running and driving fine. Even aligned fine and tire psi was fine. I test rode it in a gravel lot, machine was solid, but again in pretty rough shape by way of aesthetics and mis-matched stuff, bent handlebars, crappy parts, horrific home made exhaust system, etc.

Green wire had been cut as well, she truly has been rode hard and put away wet for 13 years at that point. But being an 07' (newer gen and one year off my 06' R) and that dull, sun bleached Honda RR red, I just couldn't help see her potential. She can spend the rest of her life in my garage, like a puppy about to be adopted. Sure as shit she rode home in the bed of my truck, bent handlebars proudly looking at me in the rear-view.

I got her home and she was pissed. I woke up to a pond of old gasoline in my garage. MY house could've exploded the garage was pressurized with fumes. I was so lucky. Any home appliance spark and i was a goner. The O-ring on the bottom of the pet-cock was rotted out and cracked. The vibrations from the ride home was probably enough to put it over the edge and disintegrate, along with the fact that he likely just gassed it up for me to test ride. I did notice he had it warm when I fired it up so he had it pre-started in an attempt to make me believe it "starts great"

Anyway, I clean up the gas, open the garage door manually and vent all the fumes. Kitty. litter everywhere. I wasn't planning on working on her for another week or two but she had plans of her own. So I sat home all day that Saturday and did a very in-depth teardown (not complete but pretty close)

She actually didn't have much rust at all, just a few minor spots. Frame was in exceptional condition, sub-frame was usable but damaged. Electronics and starter worked fine. gears seemed solid. Oil was trash with metal shaving, black tar.

I went ahead and ordered all OEM:
  • Fuel tank
  • petcock assembly
  • all new plastics
  • Tail-light

After market parts:
  • Oversized carb from Duncan racing with custom jetting from Duncan (110 leaded race-fuel only - I use VP Racing 110 Standard)
  • Duncan racing fat-boy 4 complete system with header
  • Larger intake manifold and K&N intake with over-filter and air-box lid removed
  • drop 1 tooth front sprocket
  • New chain

she ran great, I had the valves adjusted once or twice over the years, but haven't done much else.

I have not been riding the machine the last 12 months. About 3 months ago I began to ponder the kickstart conversion out of curiosity and to my surprise its very do-able.

I have now gone completely down the rabbit hole per-say, as I have begun doing OCCRA XC events, and have found 2 MX tracks within 30 minutes of my house. I plan to compete the rest of this season with OCCRA and then next season as well. I am also hoping to do some intermediate level AMA MX events next season as well if my time and girlfriend allow me.

Additional parts and things:
  • Kickstart conversion (remove starter, battery, battery box, and all unnecessary components) (not installed yet, August time-frame)
  • Headlight delete/Tail-light delete
  • number stickers/plates
  • Powermadd hand-guards
  • Teather switch
  • TRX450r wiring harness
  • Flexx handlebars +2" FoxxShox riser
  • Pro Taper grips
  • ASV clutch lever (not installed yet, August time-frame)
  • Rath Racing lowered subframe (not installed yet, August time-frame)
  • Rath Racing rear grab bar (not installed yet, August time-frame)
  • Factory 43 front fender with numberplate
  • Lone Star racing XC +1.25 A-arms (not installed yet, July 11)
  • Lone Star Racing MX long travel Link (not installed yet, July 11)
  • Lone Star Racing Pivot Bolt (not installed yet, July 11)
  • Fox Podium RC2 front and back suspension (not installed yet, July 11)
  • Hygear Suspension subframe reservoir mount (not installed yet, August time-frame)
  • GPS Carbon Beadlock wheels (8X8 3+5 rear / 10X5 3+2 front) (not installed yet, August time-frame)
  • GPS mud-plugs (not installed yet, August time-frame)
  • Holeshot MXr6 tires (not installed yet, August time-frame)
  • TM Designworks Plastic frame guard

She's looking good, riding good. Im riding the track this Sunday. Let me know what you guys think the build could benefit from

I am thinking about doing some more stuff, Maybe a vortex ECU but not sure its worth it. Ive heard mixed reviews.

Here are some photos, I hope you enjoy my build as much as I am. Working on posting some photos now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice build plan I hope it works out well for you.

Reactions: 07TRX450ER -> R

·
Registered
127 Posts
Reactions: 07TRX450ER -> R

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! yeah I'm pretty excited about this build, really doing everything right and putting in the research. Parts for these old gal's are getting harder and harder to acquire...

Just ordered:

Lone Star Racing Honda TRX450 Billet Brake Caliper Mounting Kit
Lone Star Racing Honda TRX450 Billet Aluminum Anti-Fade Locknut
Lone Star Racing Billet Brake Line Clamps 7/8"
Lone Star Racing Steel Braided Rear Brake Line27"
Lone Star Racing Honda TRX450 Billet Bearing Housing
Lone Star Racing Honda TRX450 Swing Arm'+1" / Gloss Black
Lone Star Racing Honda TRX450 Billet Aluminum Rear Wheel Hubs
Lone Star Racing Honda TRX450 Billet Aluminum Front Wheel Hubs2006-UP
Lone Star Racing Honda TRX450 Axcalibar Pro Racing Axle
Lone Star Racing Honda TRX450 DC-PRO Spindles Billet
Lone Star Racing Steel Braided Front Brake Line KitUniversal Front Kit
T.M. Designworks Slide-N-Guide Kit
Lone Star Racing Honda TRX450 Stainless Swing Arm Skid Plate

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks good! I just finished a build on my red 07 450er and am looking to swap it from electric start to a kicker in the next few months. Keep us posted on your build so far seems like you are on a good path.
Thats awesome man! Good luck on your kickstart journey! I spent about a month getting all the parts together. Its nice having it done and sitting all together ready to go. You'll probably have to find a kicker-arm on Ebay as there is a nationwide back-order with no fill-date. Be prepared to pay $350.00+ for the kicker arm alone.

Im pumped to get this thing MX ready and get all this heavy electric crap/weight off of the machine.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
How’s the quad 07trx450er->R ?? It’s been a couple weeks haven’t heard anything. Have you been tearing it up out there? Anything new to the quad?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished everything except swingarm and axle, front shocks and a-arms

i finished kick start conversion last weekend and cant get the machine to run. really annoying..

been busy with a400ex build on the side and bought a 22’ YFZ450R

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Automotive tire

Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Automotive tire

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
Sorry to hear about the trx 450 not running. Any ideas why? Process of elimination , start from where you ended and work your way back.
Although now that you have a brand new shiny YFZ I don’t see you having any time for the trx lol, and I don’t blame you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How’s that Yamaha?? Does it rip? Better than 06+ TRX450? Stock versus stock? They are nice, like 10k new. They must have some new tech on them versus the 2014 trx no?
Following mfg recommended break-in procedure so havnt been above half throttle yet.

its such a nice machine, i really like it, but dont have enough seat time and WOT to compare. Also the stock exhaust is very restrictive so she can really perform better if you do intake/exhaust/tune. Its nice that its fuel injected for trips, no re-jetting issues to worry about.

id geuss my Trx is quicker/faster, but it also has a ton done to it. I don’t remember what its like to ride a bone stock trx450.

the yfz feels “tighter” though.You can tell shes not 20 years old lol.Suspension is really not comparable, way better than honda in 07’. Yfz comes stock 49” wide from the factory.

i love both machines but they serve different purposes obviously.

·
Registered
466 Posts
No doubt, and forgot about break in time, it’s been so long since I’ve bought a brand new machine right out the gate. I guess it’s a dumb question really, something just built this year versus 8 years or older ago would feel and ride better. Just want to know if 10k is worth it. But if Honda came out with a new trx450 this year and was charging 12k I’d go buy it lol. Fuel injection has its pros and cons, I prefer carb, easier to fix and cheaper. But you have a brand new system so you don’t have to worry about replacing injector or fuel pump etc.
Very nice quad bro 😎, I’m sure wants you break it in and get rid of that EPA restricted exhaust, you’ll have the baddest quad in town. Good luck , be safe, live to ride/ride to live!!

·
Truck Yea
5,944 Posts
hows those urmosi bars working for ya?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts