Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i was riding monday and i had been beating on the bike pretty hard, and it ran flawless. we had just jumped off the train onto the road and i was putting along in 5th when it made a little bit of noise and then died. it still kicks over but has next to no compression. i can kick it over by hand.

the motor was built by TC Racing in 05 right after i got it and hasnt been touched other than me swapping out the old 13:1 3 ring for a baldwin 12.5:1 2 ringer. the motor has about a billion hours on it and all i have done is adjust the valves. im also using a vortex cdi and pounding the rev limiter almost all the time..

my thought is that the valves floated or i broke a spring, which isnt a far streach for me to beleive because they have been over used and abused. i dont know yet for sure, cause i havnt had time to tear into it, but its looking like it. it didnt seize and compression is low, so im pretty much ruling out crank.

TC runs all stock valvetrain in his motors, but i want to step up the parts. i was looking for a good ss valve and good spring kit.

i have had the stock valves sink, which is common, but what actually wears more? the valves or the seats? i think i heard it was the valves and with a good ss valve that pretty much eliminates that problem, or atleast helps.

any insight welcome...

thanks

Eric

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have flow bench tested Ferrea valves to flow ~3cfm more than KW valves...

I love the durability of Ferreas too.... I'm not saying KW is bad, just that i like Ferrea a bit more....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, i was riding monday and i had been beating on the bike pretty hard, and it ran flawless. we had just jumped off the train onto the road and i was putting along in 5th when it made a little bit of noise and then died. it still kicks over but has next to no compression. i can kick it over by hand.

the motor was built by TC Racing in 05 right after i got it and hasnt been touched other than me swapping out the old 13:1 3 ring for a baldwin 12.5:1 2 ringer. the motor has about a billion hours on it and all i have done is adjust the valves. im also using a vortex cdi and pounding the rev limiter almost all the time..

my thought is that the valves floated or i broke a spring, which isnt a far streach for me to beleive because they have been over used and abused. i dont know yet for sure, cause i havnt had time to tear into it, but its looking like it. it didnt seize and compression is low, so im pretty much ruling out crank.

TC runs all stock valvetrain in his motors, but i want to step up the parts. i was looking for a good ss valve and good spring kit.

i have had the stock valves sink, which is common, but what actually wears more? the valves or the seats? i think i heard it was the valves and with a good ss valve that pretty much eliminates that problem, or atleast helps.

any insight welcome...

thanks

Eric[/b]

i was leaning toward them myself, i used them in all my small block builds and my big block...

where could i get them and how do they compare to the KW price wise?

also what spring kit should i look at getting? i abuse the rev limiter alot with my vortex at whatever that is (11000+ i know of) and it is prolly the cause of my problems now...

thanks

Eric

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm unsure what site sponsor here sells Ferrea. You should ask them all first. I'm sure that just about any sponsor here can sell a KW spring kit to you. You should ask Paul from Woodward about the spring kit... If none of the sponsors can get ferrea for you, you should look elsewhere- let me know.

The price of Ferreas should be comparable to KW....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ferrea, a lot of people have trouble with kibbles[/b]

i have read that, but i looked at it this way, you generally only hear about the failures, not the good things.. people dont generally post "my KW last forever" so if there is 100 bad and 10,000 good does that make them junk?

along those lines, i never really hear anyone using ferrea, so thats why you really dont hear any failures from them cause they arent in many bikes i guess...

either way i kinda was leaning toward ferrea because what i had said earlier

just my thoughts for the day, ill prolly get flamed and told im wrong, nothing new there....

Eric

·
No longer into Quads
1,605 Posts
Mixxer said something about 35.00 per valve for the KB I believe.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep 200 bucks for a set of KWs[/b]

isnt there a problem with the KW's relaxing after little use? i dont know what im doing with my set up yet, and i might need some strong springs depending on cam choice...

what other options are out there, im just curious, and how are they in terms of pricing.

thanks

Eric

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
A lot of people?? Where??

Just because you may have read 1 or 2 threads where someone blamed a KW valve for a failure, they're no good? Yes there have been some instances where a KW valve has failed (me included) but like already mentioned, there a thousands of them out there and to only hear of 1 or 2 that were bad, sounds pretty good to me.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

Just because you may have read 1 or 2 threads where someone blamed a KW valve for a failure, they're no good? Yes there have been some instances where a KW valve has failed (me included) but like already mentioned, there a thousands of them out there and to only hear of 1 or 2 that were bad, sounds pretty good to me.
[/b]
good point

·
TRX450r.org Sponsor
1,517 Posts

[/b]

There is a few engine builders that say they wont touch a Kibble White Valve. So once that starts circulating around a little more your going to read a lot more "failures". In all honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either.

·
TRX450r.org Sponsor
1,517 Posts

[/b]

There is a few engine builders that say they wont touch a Kibble White Valve. So once that starts circulating around a little more your going to read a lot more "failures". In all honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Both the Ferrea and KB cost the same at 26.00 a piece.
KB Spring Kit cost 190.00 shipped

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

[/b]

[/b]
well said.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE(vcforlife15 @ Aug 6 2008, 10:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=540099
<div class='quotemain'>ferrea, a lot of people have trouble with kibbles[/b]

[/b]

[/b][/quote]
well said.
[/b][/quote]

so i wasnt too far off base with my post earlier about if you hear of 100 bad, how many good didnt you hear about, 10000?

its funny noone hesitates to bizniggle when something bad happenes, but noone really praises things when they what they are designed to do, that generally leaves them content, and quiet.

thanks for all the advice everyone!

eRIC

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I was trying to get a little info on those in another thread but no luck, a little high but just curious about the concept.

I will say that I have had kibble whites in my 450 more than one xc season with no trouble and have also put them in several other bikes with no trouble.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts