Honda TRX 450R banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha when I had my bike torn down i decided to do this mod. If you have the stock FCR that came on a quad you cannot do this... Only way is to cut a section out of the spring itself and re-bend it.[/b]
Wondering... My friend have a 2007, and his throttle is easy to pull as on my 2005. And I bought a used 2007 and his throttle is so hard to pull I can't drive like that... opened it and everything seems ok in the carb and the cable. Is there a reason those 2 are so different in the tension ? I pulled out the spring and have to reinstall it cause it missed a turn (but now easy to pull but dangerous to get stuck on vaccum).

Have an idea ?

Thanks.

PLG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just so you all know this particular mod does not work on the 08. The tab you drill the hole into is not there. Pulled mine apart the other night to do this to find it missing. Great mod though for the older 450's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i pulled the throttle shaft out of my 06 450ER tonight to do this and found that once pulled out, the TPS sensor unwound and i can no longer get the shaft back through. the TPS is spring loaded and the cable drum of the shaft interferes with the carb housing. looks like im gonna have to grind the TPS lug off and install the shaft first, then reinstall TPS.

anyone know what voltages the TPS should read across which wires at idle and WOT?

thanks
mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
i ended up slotting the TPS stub and unscrewing it.. 4-6K ohms is the resistance. also my carb didnt have the same configuration as the one shown in this writeup. i bent the hooked end of the spring inward and moved it to a different little rib inside the carb body to take some tension off. nice and soft now, rode today without any thumb ache at all.

i was told last week that a 400ex thumb throttle itself accomplishes the same thing. use the 450R cable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just so you all know this particular mod does not work on the 08. The tab you drill the hole into is not there. Pulled mine apart the other night to do this to find it missing. Great mod though for the older 450's.[/b]
I did the same... no tab. pulled it again last week and torched the spring with my weak ass propane torch and it seems a bit better but not sure. My throttle is way, way, way, stiffer than all the other 08 ive seen. I cant figure what the hell, Ive checked every thing indevidualy and no awnser. I just need a crf carb w/ hot start.

·
Registered
318 Posts
back when I did it to my girls YFZ, we just got a new spring off ebay, I know this mods basically free if you have drill bits, but the spring was cheap. and that bike went from the stiffest throttle to the lightest pull out of the 5 bikes we rode. and over 3 years later, its never stuck open, and no more coming in early cuz your thumb aches like a .....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks to this forum I dont believe I will have to listen to my girlfriend complaining about her **** thumb and hand being sore next weekend......

I modded her 07 Trx 450r, I had to cut 1 loop off the spring as hers didnt have any stop to drill a hole, I also heated the spring with a torch to relieve a little more tension.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i agree :ermm:

That is an awesome way to do it!!! Have you ever had the FCR stick though??? When I first decided I didn't ned 2 cables on my CRF250 I was at a loretta's qualifier at the Shoug and I had that bizniggle stick wide fn open over the chucker. Not fun, I realized that the vaccum on the four strokes was enough to stick a carb at times. Not fun when you come over the backside of chuck son and your still 30ft in the air with your bike about to blow up. Oh ya it can be bad not having anything to return the throttle to closed...

·
Registered
14 Posts
So i have a Tokyo Mods Spring i want to install on my 08 ER..... Is my TPS spring gonna come unwound and give me a problem when i pull the throttle shaft out???? Sounds like some guys had troubles with this and said it was a bitch to rectify..... ANY advice....

21 - 31 of 31 Posts