Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran my FCR setup at the strip recently with my HRC kit.

Found that out of the box, the FCR did not improve drag times -- it did not seem to hurt them either.

Although drag times did not improve, throttle response seems way up.

Today I did a little tuning with my performance analyzer - still have some more tuning to do, but the results seem good & it appears the "out of the box" jetting is a bit lean on the main for the HRC setup.

Anyhow - I made some baseline runs with the "stock" 170 main jet, then I switched to a 178 main (all I had available at the time), made some comparison runs.

According to my baseline, it appears I picked up about 3mph and a tenth or two in a 300' run....

Will richen more and I also still have to double check the TPS adjustment -- we'll see how much more I can pick up as tuning continues..... I'll also be back at the strip to confirm my results this coming Saturday, weather permitting....

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Cool, keep us posted Gabe! :D

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.pdyno.com/

It can be used for drag race type results -- can't use it for part throttle tuning, just shows overall acceleration & graphs the results for comparison.

I have the "ultra" model, works pretty slick -- produces repeatable and comparable results.

Only problem with it is that it doesn't like the vibration of the quad's engine, we tried to isolate it in the field with no luck - ended up strapping the unit to my leg with some ty-wraps and it worked great. Human body does a good job of vibration isolation....

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Are you running the stock pilot? How many turns out are you? Thanks! Also what is your altitude and temp and humidity like?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good job Gabe ... 3mph in 300' is impressive ... Throttle response/torque must be up nicely ...[/b]
Most of the difference seems to be toward the top -- before, it was falling a bit flat in the top - now it keeps pulling - still think it's a bit lean, I'm hoping to do some more tuning this afternoon.

My pdyno unit will also graph acceleration - seemed to pick up the most around 3rd gear (where it needed it) - also seems to have extended the shift points, which goes right along with the feeling of extended top end that it has.

Are you running the stock pilot?

Yes - acts lean as far as how the idle returns & the general stability of the idle, but doesn't pop on decel like the stock carb did. I'll probably try a richer pilot when I get a chance.

How many turns out are you?

Whatever it was from the factory - I don't like adjusting the pilot without the quad running & with this carb I can't do that unless I buy some cool aftermarket stuff.

Thanks! Also what is your altitude and temp and humidity like
Temp - 80's Humidity - 125%

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Thanks again Gabe! So the pocket dyno thing is worth the money in your opinion? I ight have to look into one.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I am certain you said it was an 03, 338 dollars from service honda I believe, the cheapest out of the crf carbs with the difference being the jetting from what I've been told.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's your point D-Racer? Quit dredging up old posts for no reason....

The FCR carb's results have been discussed in great detail - it's no secret that it does not improve drag times much if any on an otherwise stock or HRC kitted bike -- it's also no secret that it provides a HUGE throttle response increase that can actually improve your times on a track or under other real-world riding situations.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've been contemplating getting a FCR and if it doesn't really add to much in all areas I think I will stick with ths stocker carb. Thanks for your real world posts on performance Gabe. Always enjoy reading your info, Keep it coming. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It would seem that D Racer is also good at deleting his post too :banghead: , he once deleted like 5 at once in the thread that he was selling or not selling i guess his ESR pipe.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Originally posted by supeRman@Dec 18 2005, 09:50 AM
I've been contemplating getting a FCR and if it doesn't really add to much in all areas I think I will stick with ths stocker carb. Thanks for your real world posts on performance Gabe. Always enjoy reading your info, Keep it coming. Thanks.
[snapback]171737[/snapback]​
this is why i bring up old post.........they can still be useful... :) lets see what else i can find... :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts