Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aite ya'll, I know this had been gone over before and a million answers to fix this. But I can not find the thread on this issue. When I have a hard landing the carb just dies. Goin through the ten commandments this weekend, i over shot one and faced one pretty good, went to pin the throttle and nothing there. Come down off a flat landing and the same thing. Not completely bottoming out or nothin, just bit hard landing????????? What the helk gives. Its an 06 FCR on my 04, 05 motor. Got the pretty lil air screw adjuster 1 and a quarter turns out. 50 pilot, 180 main, needle on one clip from center. Not willin to get a Boyesen Quickshot for it just to not work!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
If the pilot circuit isn't right, fix that first. Even if that's not the source of the problem you still want it right. After that....

Make sure you're not missing the fuel baffle. It's the little plastic cup thingy that fits around the main jet. Probably worth making sure the tank is draining into the bowl properly too since that's easy to check.

Or it could be your float level is off. An '06 FCR calls for a 8.0mm float level. Probably that's good if on a 04/05 engine too. And did you say what leak jet you have?

As far as main and pilot jetting, I'm no help there--I don't know what's typical.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Hey Rob...if I can make a suggestion...

first however......GP is 100% correct......

check for the little plastic anti-slosh baffle which should be located surrounding your Main and Pilot jet...... a lot of guys remove this item as they feel it is unnecessary or simply in their way when changing jets.....bottom line.....it is designed to solve the problem you are describing...... mine will act up for just a second ever so often when landing wrong.....or I simply 'screw up'....... it is merely the fuel in the bowl sloshing around upon a hard landing and either flooding or starving the engine for fuel.....it is usually only temporary.....and lasts for just a second or two....but it can kill the engine.....especially if stabbing the throttle right after the landing.....

as for jetting......your 06 FCR should be jetted according to this particular carb....not the year of the machine....and from looking at your jetting...im gonna hafta say your WAY rich on almost everything....

I assume your not running the air box lid....so here is the jetting I would start out with....

go back down to #45 pilot....2 turns out on pilot screw...... go down to 160-165 main... depending on where you live if below 3000ft or so..... if above that.....go down even further on the MJ....... im not sure where you needle is set....but it keep it in the middle for now..... 3 clips down from the top if using adjustable HRC needle........ then, if you havnt done so.....change your #70 leak jet to #55..... this will eliminate any need for a boysen quick shot......

and last but not least....if you dont have that baffle......get one from the dealer and reinstall......

let us know how that works out for ya......

jmho....Greg

·
Registered
898 Posts
the new R&D anti-agitation float bowl cover elimates the bowl fuel splash on hard landings.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the info.... Been told a time or two I'm prob running it a bit rich. Gonna drop down on the main for sure this week. (after I heal up)... As for the leak jet i'm not even sure where it is located. Main and pilot is all I have ever messed with. Is it called something else? I have a huge blown up scematic of the carb and found nothing called leak jet. Starter jet etc.... I'm located in Middle Tennessee so the altitude is not much of an issue. I.m positive that I do not have the white plastic gig ya'll are taliking about. Am aware of what it is and it was not in the carb when I got it.... Will now!!!!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info.... Been told a time or two I'm prob running it a bit rich. Gonna drop down on the main for sure this week. (after I heal up)... As for the leak jet i'm not even sure where it is located. Main and pilot is all I have ever messed with. Is it called something else? I have a huge blown up scematic of the carb and found nothing called leak jet. Starter jet etc.... I'm located in Middle Tennessee so the altitude is not much of an issue. I.m positive that I do not have the white plastic gig ya'll are taliking about. Am aware of what it is and it was not in the carb when I got it.... Will now!!!![/b]

its in the float bowl....depending on where you look its called a leak, slow jet (pilot is also called that) or an accelorator bypass jet. Honda does call it a leak jet

its part number 46

Attachments

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I am not 100% sure what the above post meant......I hope you are not confused into thinking the slow jet is also the leak jet.... maybe I just read that wrong...

the Leak Jet....(aka Accelerator Bypass Jet)...is the only jet located in the bottom of the float bowl....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I am not 100% sure what the above post meant......I hope you are not confused into thinking the slow jet is also the leak jet.... maybe I just read that wrong...

the Leak Jet....(aka Accelerator Bypass Jet)...is the only jet located in the bottom of the float bowl....[/b]
no not at all but like I said the term is based on where you look for it, the pilot is also called the slow etc etc.....,if you are looking at Honda parts they call it a leak but others list it as slow jet and call the pilot the pilot. the slow air is in the front.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it.... figured out where it is. Just havin a biiich of a time finding one. Sudco has the market on parts for these carbs!! Prob gonna go with a 55 and put the white thingeee back in there. And drop to a 170 or lower main.

PS... If anyone has a 55 i can buy from em... please let me know... really sucks searchin for this thing!!!! Or a link to buy one????

·
Registered
10,711 Posts

the Leak Jet....(aka Accelerator Bypass Jet)...is the only jet located in the bottom of the float bowl....[/b]
no not at all but like I said the term is based on where you look for it, the pilot is also called the slow etc etc.....,if you are looking at Honda parts they call it a leak but others list it as slow jet and call the pilot the pilot. the slow air is in the front.
[/b]

no.....something is wrong here...... yes, the PILOT is often called the SLOW jet.... usually the Pilot is the adjustable 'screw' and the SLOW JET is the actual removable jet, but those two words are used synonymously...,,,,,on this I agree 100%.... where I am confused is the second half of your statement......where Honda calls it a "leak" and others list it as a "slow jet"....... this is incorrect....

the LEAK JET...aka... ACCELERATOR BYPASS JET.....is in NO WAY connected to the SLOW JET...aka....PILOT JET.....

Leak jet = Acc bypass jet....

Slow jet = Pilot Jet (not screw)....

but the two are completely separate jetting issues inside the carb......

hope that helps......

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
alot of the fcr jets are interchangable which is why I said "depending on where you look" not as in depending on where you look on the carb but where you look to buy the jets.

http://www.woodwardspecialties.com/shop/pr...p;catalogId=887

looks like it says pilot jet and not slow jet but maybe I'm mistaken, this is why my original statement holds true of depending on where you look to BUY it as to what terminology they use.

Call it whatever you feel comfortable as long as you tell them you need xxx size of number 46 on the diagram.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts