Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a company out there that makes an adaptor to run the stock 450r air boot with the fcr carb?

·
Registered
328 Posts
TC sells one, GT thunder I believe sells one. Baldwin Motorsports. I think they are avail. for around $50-$60. Baldwin sells a complete kit. But youll pay way to much! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called these places and tc is closed until sept. 12th and gt thunder said they did not make anything like that and baldwin said they have to machine the carb down. Has anyone else had this problem? I am just wondering if there is an adaptor that will let me use the stock 450r air boot without having to machine the carb down to fit. please help me out thanks

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
someone will have to verify but I think all you need is the airbox off a 400ex and it will fit the FCR carb and the 450r engine.....I think...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would that be as simple as just take the stock one off and put the 400ex box in?

·
Registered
328 Posts
All you have to do is grind down the lip around the edge for TC's Adapter. Baldwin probly wants you to pay to have it done. But when its done by him you know its right!

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
i think i read a post by 86atc250r saying the swap was either very little gain on e.t. at dirt drags. the stock carb is also a pumper with an added part throttle circuit operated via the front butterfly for even better throttle response off idle.

the stock carb is larger than the fcr so even accuonting for slight volume loss by the choke and low speed butterflies it should at least be a match for the fcr.

in zillions (that's a lie it's probably only millions) of dyno runs i have always found that the least amount of power gain comes from the carb upsizing. and unless you have done ALL the other mods, especially porting and cam, the gain is almost nothing in most cases. a notable exception is replacing the ltz400 dismal stocker with a fcr.

usually it tops the list of most spent for least gained. unless of course you are using a fcr for the easily obtainable jets to run on alcohol vs the stock carb. is that what all the interest is about?

...............mixxer

·
Registered
497 Posts
the stock carb is larger than the fcr so even accuonting for slight volume loss by the choke and low speed butterflies it should at least be a match for the fcr.

in zillions (that's a lie it's probably only millions) of dyno runs i have always found that the least amount of power gain comes from the carb upsizing. and unless you have done ALL the other mods, especially porting and cam, the gain is almost nothing in most cases. a notable exception is replacing the ltz400 dismal stocker with a fcr.

usually it tops the list of most spent for least gained. unless of course you are using a fcr for the easily obtainable jets to run on alcohol vs the stock carb. is that what all the interest is about?[/b]
I was skeptical about the carb swap, but then I found one for a good price on ebay, so i figured i give it a try (FCR40). I finished the conversion, and even though I'm quite rich on my main and pilot jets, I have found the carb to be even more responsive than the stock carb, which i thought was going to be impossible to do. I can't see it being better in all out drag race, but I can see how guys on the mx tracks might like it. It seems as if it has more torque, and revs a bit quicker and maybe a slight gain up top. Its not worth the $800 baldwin or others charge, but it is a very responsive carb. I would normally figure that stock 42 makes better top end, but this carb definately seem comparable if not better on top. I did notice that i was downshifting quite a bit less than normal, which i was attributing to the added torque and throttle response which was helping lug out of the improper or too high gear. I like it!
Joe :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did this swap recently also. I used the adapter from Noss Machine, which worked very well. I had to grind a lip off of the carb with a dremel, but no big deal there, very simple. As far as performance, no gain that I noticed in top speed, but made a big difference in throttle response. It's very snappy now and seems to rev quicker than before.

have fun!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all for your responses they have been helpful. I know that some of say you that you did not seen any gains with this carb, but for me it has been the best money i have spent. I had a 13.1 je piston, hrc cam, head ported, and uni filter with out the air box lid and with the stock carb it was ok, but when i installed the 40mm fcr my 450r really came alive. thank again for all your help.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by 04450r@Sep 7 2004, 09:40 AM
is there a company out there that makes an adaptor to run the stock 450r air boot with the fcr carb?
call Sudco at sudco.com. That's where I got my 39mm FCR carb. It comes with a billet ring that go's right to the stock air box with not having to do a thing to it. The only bad thing is between the carb and the ring it was $600!

·
Registered
659 Posts
My carb just came in and I was wondering if anyone could get me in the ball park with the jetting. I have HRC cam, Yoshi pipe and an ESR intake

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Holeshot13@Sep 12 2004, 11:29 PM
My carb just came in and I was wondering if anyone could get me in the ball park with the jetting. I have HRC cam, Yoshi pipe and an ESR intake
Here's what I have. Of course, altitude, climate and everything else matters but here's what I have. I have the same setup as you except for the ESR!! Hope this helps! :D
CRF39mm Keihin Carb with Hotstart and TPS
Main Jet - 160
Slow Jet - 45
Needle - OCEMR#3
Mixture Screw - 1
Main air jet - 200
Slow air jet - 100

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if some of you guys that changed out your stock TRX450R Carb would be interested in selling it? :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Please supply web site or phone numbers of a place to purchase the carb. Thanks for the info. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the info 86atc250r, Part number 16100-HP1-672 to my door for $165.00 thats a brand new carb complete.

What a deal!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts