Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple basic questions for those who've installed the FCR carb. Do the stock throttle and hot start cables work on the FCR, and if so, are there any modifications that have to be made to make them work? Also, what is a good starting point for jetting with the FCR?

I'm seriously considering buying an FCR based on the latest discussions on this board. Is low end response really that much better to justify the cost?
A loaded question, I know, but if it's worth as much in rideability as is being stated, I'm all for it.

Thanks.....

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
All the stock cables work. I bought one and sold it. I didn't think it was worth it. If you race MX I think it is a good buy. It had more response, but reved out to fast. It didn't seem to pull forever like my stock carb. I was shifting a lot more.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
That's typically a very good thing.

An easy solution to that problem is to gear up.

FCR - is it worth it - in my opinion, absolutely. The quad feels like it has twice the power than does a similarly equipped quad with the stock carb. The response isn't only on the bottom end, it's at all part throttle riding regardless of RPM - and the transition to full throttle even feels stronger.

Just remember, this all translates only into "fun to ride" factor - full throttle HP is exactly the same, so you won't be beating anyone you weren't beating before in a drag - even though it feels like you should.

However, if you're actually racing on real terrain the increase in throttle response will allow you a lot more flexibility in hitting the faces of jumps, coming out of corners, lifting the front at exactly the right moment, etc. and you should have an advantage over a stock carbbed bike.

Jetting -- that is heavily dependent upon your setup. The FCR jets similarly to your stock carb. With the HRC kit, straight out of the box the FCR was very close.

Throttle cable will work, as will the Hot start - to make sure the hot start worked properly, I mated the FCR's internal valve to the stock cable and carb side cable holder.

I think the FCR has been one of the best things I've done to my 450R from a fun to ride perspective, however, I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone racing in the woods - especially if they're coming off a 400EX or similar smooth power type ride. The FCR throttle response can wear you out in the woods, especially if you have a particularly strong 450.

But - if you ride sand, mx, play ride, or whatever else, I think you'll like the FCR very much.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
86, thanks for the reply. I understand that the FCR won't add any horsepower, but that it will make the quad more fun to ride and that's my goal. This quad is my play bike, my trail rider. That's why it's only received a pipe and a cam, so that I can have a reliable bike that runs on pump gas. Sharper throttle response can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. My other ride is a 350 powervalve motor, so I understand how sharp throttle response can wear you out :D

I also realize jetting depends on how the engine is modified. I'm running the LRD exhaust, Web 613/812 cam, cut airbox lid with the Sparks filter. Beyond that, it's bone stock. I know everyone talks about using the '03 CRF carb, but the carb I have an opportunity to buy is an '02. Can I assume the 2 are effectively the same?

Thanks again....

·
Registered
360 Posts
If I order a 03fcr what else do I need to order to make it work on my bike? Thanks alot Kazpr

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Just so you guy's know, I have a FCR39mm carb that I will sell....

I bought it from sudco for $600 three months ago. This price came with the carb all setup for a stage 2 cam and a slip-on(no extra jets). Also, it came with a billet ring that attach to the carb so it fits the stock air box...No modification required. Everything hooked up perfect and I've had no problems at all. I don't race so I feel I don't need it.

Also, this carb has the hotstart, TPs and choke!! :D

If I can get $400 + shipping for it, I will sell it.. Otherwise I will hang on to it!

Rico

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The only thing Gabe left out, another good find by him I might add, is the adaptor.
Call Noss MAchine. www.nossmachine.com ph:Telephone 918-358-3804

It's for the crf carb, sudco carbs may have the adaptor already.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I also realize jetting depends on how the engine is modified. I'm running the LRD exhaust, Web 613/812 cam, cut airbox lid with the Sparks filter. Beyond that, it's bone stock. I know everyone talks about using the '03 CRF carb, but the carb I have an opportunity to buy is an '02. Can I assume the 2 are effectively the same?[/b]
Witz get the 02 Carb if you can, I have the 02 carb with a similar setup on my bike, and it is running PERFECT!!! the jetting is a tiny bit different than the 03 carb, but its awesome!!!
Joe

·
Registered
132 Posts
Besides the adapter from NOSS, what else do I need? Do I need an aftermarket CDI? What is the big difference between 39mm and 40mm? Also, I check out Dyna's website, they make no reference to the CDI box for thr 450R. Is it out yet?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Like I said, I got my carb from sudco and the adaptor from them too!!!

The billet ring was $70 and it fits right on the air box hose!!

The difference from a 39 to a 40 is that the 39 will give a little more snap at the bottom and the 40 will give you little more at the top. But, I doubt they'll be that much of a difference!!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The 40 is an OEM carb - my guess is any power difference between the 39mm and the 40 is neglegable although I have not used a 39.

With the 40mm CRF carb, the only thing you need is the Noss adapter - the rest you can do with common tools (VOM, *****, soldering equip, screwdriver, etc). You do not need an aftermarket CDI.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks Rico and 86 for the info. I plan on buying a FCR in a month or two. I am going to have to do alot of searching and calling for the best prices. I get 15% off at my local shop. I saw that Service Honda has the for 300+. Hopefully, down the road, those prices will drop on the CDI's.

Again Thank you,
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts