Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cane Rider!
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to ride last weekend. Had a hard time starting. Had to kick her a dozen or so times. Always starts second kick. Once started, she began to steam badly out the exhaust. I figured head gasket. So I tore her down. As the pictures show, it appears the head gasket failed at some point. My first time having this issue. She's bored a bored and stroked 501. been running great for 8 years. I don't ride too often, I can't have more than 40-50 hours on this build. The questions I have are, is there a underlying issue with the head or cylinder? Or should I replace the base and head gaskets and go? Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 TRX450R
100 Posts
Check your stud lengths and cross radial measurements for the head bolts. Make sure they didn't stretch. Put a straight edge on the deck. Check torque on studs. Looks like normal wear and tear to me though. If that's all good, throw a cosmetic gasket it her, and be done with it.

·
Cane Rider!
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Under further review, head is cracked in 4 places. And if that wasn't bad enough, just found out the 04-05 head blank is discontinued. Not good. One of the most, if not the most important part will be highly sought after. After 17 years and tons of fun, the first gen. 450R is in serious trouble. 😥

·
Registered
2004 TRX450R
100 Posts
How sought after? I have a stripped down OEM stock 04 head. I was going to try epoxy porting it, but I'd rather not mess something up that could be used. If you need it let me know.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,534 Posts
That’s weird that gasket failed like that, I’ve never seen that before. And it’s not unusual to see the head cracked like that, but four cracks is pretty rare 😆! Well if he sells you that head are you getting rid of the cracked head? I’m looking for a junk head to cut up for inspection.

·
Truck Yea
5,677 Posts
super odd it failed that way. i dont think ive ever seen one fail in that manner before myself either

·
Cane Rider!
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s weird that gasket failed like that, I’ve never seen that before. And it’s not unusual to see the head cracked like that, but four cracks is pretty rare 😆! Well if he sells you that head are you getting rid of the cracked head? I’m looking for a junk head to cut up for inspection.
It's a new one for me also. As for the cracked head, I'm still debating on who will port the next one. RE is booked for months. OCP only works 3 days a week. It's hard to talk to Jeff. I plan on sending the cracked head to the porter for some analysis, if they are willing to look. I'll let you know if I part with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts