Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suggest taking the screws out of the exhaust shield and putting some loctite on them. i would do this before you even start to break them in. I lost 2 screws yesterday. metthyman can back me up on one of them. i lost the other later on that day. just a heads up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by Schmitthead@Feb 16 2004, 04:07 PM
I suggest taking the screws out of the exhaust shield and putting some loctite on them. i would do this before you even start to break them in. I lost 2 screws yesterday. metthyman can back me up on one of them. i lost the other later on that day. just a heads up.
My center one is missing. I'm going to get a full exhaust sometime soon so it doesn't really matter to me.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put my exhaust shield on to my HMF header. It takes away from the look a little bit but I wont be burning wholes in my riding pants any more.

·
Registered
263 Posts
yep lost my screws on the second ride

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Yea, i lost mine to, but wen i went for first service they replaced it, i locktited them and there still there after 40 hours

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
You should always check your bolts or put locktite on all of them. You should also put antiseize on any of your long bolts like your engine bolt. That way you can take them out with out braking anything!

Water and other things can rust your bolts and that will make it a Bitc# to get it when that happens!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
mine came out...& now the ones I put in there keep coming loose & make my engine rattle under load...what kind of loctite should I use? I have a bottle of this threadlocker stuff

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Put the RED on it. After the first ride of anything you have taken off. Be sure to check those nuts again! The vibration will always play with it. I just put my bike back together and rode it once and I still went over every bolt just to make sure. B)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
i did the loctite & had all those bolts really tight & it would still vibrate a little & I had to take it off cause it was messing with my head making me think somethign was wrong with my baby

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would suggest taking a quick look at all your bolts (as much as you can). Today I noticed that the bottom bolt on my chain (case) guard was all the way out, it was still there because it couldn't get past the shift lever. To make things a little more interesting, the hole paked up with dirt and I had a biotch of a time trying to get it cleaned out for the bolt to go back in.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r+Sep 2 2004, 03:30 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-WhiteZee
@Sep 2 2004, 12:54 PM
my friend and i use red thread locker only. the blue stuff is worthless. we have never had any problems with loosening stuff we used red thread locker on.
My experience is just the opposite ... If I properly clean and dry the fastener and use red, it usually requires quite a bit of effort to get things loose ... Now if I don't properly clean and prep the fastener, red is really not that tough ... And even less with blue ... FWIW, loc-tite is only as strong as the prep allows it to be ... (grease, dirt, grime or oil will render any thread locker worthless IMO) ... At which point it only becomes a thread "filler" ... [/b]
I agree with Desert! If things don't get to hot then I put the blue locktite on. But, if anything gets really hot like exhaust. Then I had to use red, otherwise I have been know to loose bolts left and right. So, anything on my exhaust, I put red! Anywhere else I use blue. :D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Try using the #290 for tie rod jam nuts and lug nuts. I also like this formula for fine thread applications.

Did you know that they offer the "Blue" in tubes like chapstick now? I have had some for about 3 months and like it. Doesn't leak, melt and you get much more controlled aplication...faster.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by clutch@Sep 2 2004, 06:15 PM
Try using the #290 for tie rod jam nuts and lug nuts.  I also like this formula for fine thread applications. 

Did you know that they offer the "Blue" in tubes like chapstick now?  I have had some for about 3 months and like it.  Doesn't leak, melt and you get much more controlled aplication...faster.
I like those tubes too!! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I lost 1 on my first ride, and the other 2 were really loose. Anyone know where I could find replacements that match? Other than going to a big hardware store and wading through the bolt section for an hour?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Honda

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Go back to your Honda dealer. I lost mine too and I got them for free from them. Than I RED locktited them about two months ago and I haven't lost them yet. Of course after every ride I check the bolt with a allen just to make sure. Don't want to lose them again!
)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Another FYI thing...

Most primers for loctite and other brands of threadlocker are just Acetone in a spray can. Dont waste your money.

There is a formula of red loctite (I believe it is 640?) that is made for small fasteners that need to be removed. The 272 (I would have to check the tool box?) is the heat release stuff that would not make much difference on the exhaust.

If you really want a solid install...Arctic Cat was using a green heat release Loctite on their clutch spiders that is basically a chemical weld! By the time you get the clutch spider hot enough to release it is almost melting. The stuff won't go away either...I have wire brushed the threads and soaked them in solvent and some of it is still around. I'm not sure of the part number but if a guy wanted it bad enough you could find it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts