Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride today. Hit the starter button and started up normal. Rode for 15 min or so then stopped and shut it off. Went to turn it back on and nothing no lights, neutral or tail light. So I push started it and it fired up.

Got back to the garage and tested the battery voltage with a digital multimeter and it has 0 volts. I just got this quad but I am pretty sure the guy said that he just recently got this battery last spring. How can you tell if it is the battery that is bad or it is something else?

I have a manual so i was doing some testing. While running I checked the voltage across the battery(the charging voltage) and had 1 volt. Even with the battery dead should this be 13-15.5 volts? In the manual it says to make sure you have a good battery so I don't think it is accurate unless you do?

Also I disconnected the handlebar switch and put a digital multimeter across the green and black wire in the harness which in the manual is the Generating voltage inspection and also got about 1 volt.

is there a a way to test the charging system with a dead battery in it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
to help you guys help cory out...it was a brand new battery in march. i only rode 3 times before the trade...charged with a regular charger, and kept on a maintenance charger.

·
Registered
636 Posts
to help you guys help cory out...it was a brand new battery in march. i only rode 3 times before the trade...charged with a regular charger, and kept on a maintenance charger.[/b]
How many amps were used when you were charging it? And how long was it charged?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Most your motorcycle batts. can only charge with 1.5-2.5 amps for 10 hrs and 3-5 amps for 1 hr!!! If you charged like a car batt with 10 or so amps, its toast!!!! All you can do is try and charge it. Can't do any other test with correct reads intel the batt is 75%(12.45v) - fully charge(12.6v)!!!

FYI..... Try not to run it of the stater..... you may ruin the stater and/or the reg.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
these batteries can easily go bad. if they sit for a long time without running the motor, extreme heat and cold can damage the cranking amps.

have you checked your fuse?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fuse is fine. I got a 1.5 amp 12v charger to see if it would charge but it won't the battery is junk. When I hooked the charger up the charger does not even indicate that it is hooked up to a battery. I tried it on my lawnmower battery and the charger works on it. I am pretty sure a cell broke inside the battery because it was working great then i went for a ride and it must have broke. It was a power source battery I am going to take the hit and get a Yuasa hopefully it will hold up better or at least long enough until i can afford to get the kicker parts. It is my ride to work I took it today by push starting it I did not know it will ruin the stator I definitely don't want to do that.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
How can you ruin you stator or voltage by running it on a dead or bad battery?.........

As your battery gets weaker your voltage reg. send more current to your stator witch make more of a electromagnetic field which then in turns makes more voltage and amps.....

Problem lie in how long high current is demanded from the stator from reg. This demand make heat in the stator..... High demand = more heat...... Heat = open or shorted wires...... open or shorted wires = no more workie!!!!

OH.... this only gos for bikes with batts. The stator only is for maintaining charge in a bike with a batt.!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How can you ruin you stator or voltage by running it on a dead or bad battery?.........

As your battery gets weaker your voltage reg. send more current to your stator witch make more of a electromagnetic field which then in turns makes more voltage and amps.....

Problem lie in how long high current is demanded from the stator from reg. This demand make heat in the stator..... High demand = more heat...... Heat = open or shorted wires...... open or shorted wires = no more workie!!!!

OH.... this only gos for bikes with batts. The stator only is for maintaining charge in a bike with a batt.![/b]
That makes sense. So if I wanted to make it a kick start only and remove the battery how would you do that?
edit: nevermind I see you need a capacitor.
http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?sho...p;hl=kick+start

1 - 9 of 9 Posts