Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's im new to this site so take it easy on me. Yesterday i bought a 2007 trx 450er and have a few questions about it and one problem.

The bike is completly stock.

I was wondering how loud the engine noise level on this bikes should be.
It seems to be alot noiser than my friends stock suzuki ltz 400 engine.

The problem i was having is when ever i get on the throttle i noticed it would hesitate for a second and then would take off
like normal. Well come to find out the crank case breather hose was burned in two from the exhaust. So i was wondering if that might of caused my hesitation with the throttle because it never did this when i first rode it.

thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems my hesitation isnt from the breather hose so what do you guys think it is from?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
You may want to check your valve clearences. Mis adjustment would cause the noise problem and the performance issue.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
i believe its the carb and jetting, the have a too big leak jet in them from factory , you can try and put a 50 leak jet in the carb but they are hard to find

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
i believe its the carb and jetting, the have a too big leak jet in them from factory , you can try and put a 50 leak jet in the carb but they are hard to find[/b]

How would his leakjet get changed without him knowing about it? And.........would that increase the engine noise?

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
i believe its the carb and jetting, the have a too big leak jet in them from factory , you can try and put a 50 leak jet in the carb but they are hard to find[/b]

How would his leakjet get changed without him knowing about it? And.........would that increase the engine noise?
[/b]

not saying it got changed thats the way they are from fatory

they have a 75 leak jet in it from factory and by putting a leaner 50 leak jet it will help the BOG/hesitation he is referring to, remeber its a 07 with a factory FCR carb not everyone has the dough to drop 1200 bucks on a carb lol

factory isnt jetted perfect we all know that

and the engine noise he is referring to i think is normal for these engines, they are typically noisy engines and you know that

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
So.........why did it change?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
he said it ran fine before and nothing was changed, now its acting up a little

definitely adjust ur valves if necessary, Honda actually requires proof of 1st valve adjustment/tuneup, if something ever happens to the top end under warranty, so keep that in mind as well

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
he said it ran fine before and nothing was changed, now its acting up a little

definitely adjust ur valves if necessary, Honda actually requires proof of 1st valve adjustment/tuneup, if something ever happens to the top end under warranty, so keep that in mind as well[/b]

maybe he just didnt notice it when he first rode it becuase he didnt ride it as hard, the bog becomes more apparent with harder throttle

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya i think it's somthing to do with the carb. The guy i bought it from took out the baffle so i think that
messed up the jetting. seems to run better with the choke on. Like i said if you just stab the thottle it hesitates and then takes off with tons of power on the top end. its only the bottem end of the throttle that sucks. I think i didn't notice this because it didn't really get on the throttle when i went and bought it.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
if it runs better with the choke on its lean probably need to adjust the air/fuel screw and put a bigger main jet

also i was for some reason under the assumption that you bought it new and it was completely stock

what about the airbox? is the lid on or what?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya we bought it used and i don't have the baffle for it anyways. ill try adjusting the air/fuel mix first.
it still has the air box lid on.

thanks

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
if you bought it used do all the necessary maintenance. clean air filter, adjust and luve chain, oil, oil filter,tranny oil change,spark plug change, adjust all 4 valves and decomp clearance.

the 450r engine is very noisey, the engine clunks,slaps and all that good stuff. your gonna have to get use to it. but like i mentioned, do all the necessary steps to make sure the quad is running where is wants to be running.

the slight hesitation you feel, is pretty much normal for all 450r's, almost all the 06+ quads i have worked on had this, you can get rid of it, but i dont think you can get rid of it 100% but probably 90% with some good jetting.
(i.e., you in first around 4k-5k rp and you just full throttle it, there is a miss of nothing, and then the quad reacts?)

hey just for reference down the road for used quad buyers, basically rebuilding a 06+ 450r top end, new valves w/ acessories, head, cylinder, piston, timing chain,springs,buckets, spark plug, gaskets, extra bolts, comes in at about $750.00 bucks.. which in theory isnt much at all

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well we went to the sand dunes in waynoka, oklahoma today and hoping the new air filter and sparks plug would make a difference,
but it didn't. we think it's running to rich. We took the airbox lid off and it runs better but it still takes a while to start and still cuts out.
So i was wondering how do i adjust the air/fuel mix. any suggestions will be greatly apprecitated

thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think im just going to put on a full exhaust system on the bike and have it dynoed and tuned in.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
yes my 07 new did the same things.. i know exactly what your talking about... when you cruising at low rpm and then just go to WOT, it will bog/cut out and then take off.. it does have to do with the jetting.. once its properly jetted it will not have the bog any more... mine has beeen tuned in on a dyno and there is no hesitation now at all... so yes, just get your exhuast and have them dyno tune the jetting and you will not have the bog... i still always wonder how alot of people dont notice the bog lol its so weired. even my friends brand new yfz had it..these engines just love rpm's.. im sure it only bogs on you when your at low rpms and then just pin it wide open.. if your already at a decent rpm and go WOT it probably doesnt bog does it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts