Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda TRX450ER
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I brought my 08 trx450 in for a recall on the decompressor shaft pin and was told they did a valve adjustment, but noticed a fairly loud tick/rattle. So I did my first valve adjustment, double checked their work, and found the valve clearances were out of spec. I got new shims, made sure the valves were in spec and put it back together. The rattle/tick is quieter but still pretty noticeable and increases with rpm. Just wondering what the problem is and how I can fix this?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Any idea what cam you have?
What is the valve clearance sitting at?

Exhaust Valve Clearance should be .011"
Intake Valve Clearance should be at .006"

I believe that is for OEM, HRC, and all Hot Cams as well.

·
Registered
2006 Honda TRX450ER
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a stock cam as far as I know. Exhaust valves were .011” and intakes felt between a .006”-.007”.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That is a good clearance to see.

Is the timing chain loose? Have you made sure that the Timing Chain tensioner was tight and springing ou against the chain tensioner?

·
Registered
2006 Honda TRX450ER
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Timing chain shouldn’t be loose as I checked the tensioner was working and springing out against the chain. I’ll pull it back apart and double check the clearances and tensioner again. Would a set of angled feeler gauges make a big difference when measuring the intakes?

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,582 Posts
I prefer angled gauges for intake.

These machines do tick. Sometimes you may pick up on it after motor work because you are scrutinizing it more.

·
Registered
2006 Honda TRX450ER
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve heard before that they do tick, but I never noticed the tick till after I got it back from the dealer under a recall. I’ll try the angled feeler gauges and double check the intakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts