Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding at a local track and my engine locked up. I had oil in both sides ( i checked b4 i left for the track). I was going up to a table top and the thing locked up and slid right up the ramp. I was going to race it this weekn but now im Outta luck. I only had this quad since may and its already having engine probs. I think it might be the crank because somtimes you can unlock it by rocking it back in forth in gear. Then when it comes free i can kick it like normal but then i locks right back up agian. Its not the piston because there is still alot of compression. It didnt overheat cuz neither the light nor the fan cut in. I took off the head to look at the cam/valves and its all intact. Talk about fusturating...im beggining to think that i shoulda left it where it lay and buy a yammy.
Not a good week for me.
I think honda goofed on my quad <_<

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah its going in tues...but still its brand new!

·
Registered
733 Posts
sounds like any number of things...
balancer shaft out of timing/slipped gear (or) damaged shift fork/fork shaft or claw
does it make noise?
does it always lockup in the same gear?

let us know what the dealer says happened when you get it back.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The quad locks up in every gear...you cant kick it...you cant roll it... but ya i will let you guys all no what happend to it....my dad is a mechanic and he also suspects the crack snapped. Well at least its not going to cost nething

Jumbo what r u talking about. i told u exactly what happend. if you dont belive me shove it. Im really pissed at that piece rite now

·
Registered
28 Posts
Back when everyone was waiting on the 450R, my local dealer and close friend told me that he herd throrgh the grape vine Honda was having problems with the crank bearings. Now don't quote me on that it is just here say, but let us know what they say Mitco39.

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Mitco39@Jul 31 2004, 01:48 PM
I was riding at a local track and my engine locked up. I had oil in both sides ( i checked b4 i left for the track). I was going up to a table top and the thing locked up and slid right up the ramp. I was going to race it this weekn but now im Outta luck. I only had this quad since may and its already having engine probs. I think it might be the crank because somtimes you can unlock it by rocking it back in forth in gear. Then when it comes free i can kick it like normal but then i locks right back up agian. Its not the piston because there is still alot of compression. It didnt overheat cuz neither the light nor the fan cut in. I took off the head to look at the cam/valves and its all intact. Talk about fusturating...im beggining to think that i shoulda left it where it lay and buy a yammy. 
Not a good week for me.
I think honda goofed on my quad <_<
Mitco, sounds to me like your clutch is not dis-engaging. (did I spell that right)....maybe you will be lucky and its just your clutch.....keep your fingers crossed....later.

Nevermind, I take that back, If it locked up while your were riding it...then it probably wont be the clutch....good luck with it...that really sucks theres gonna bad seed any any group...no matter who makes it....Maybe honda well step up...

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took it in last tuesday and it was the crank...there guess is the bearing went causing the crank to take alot more pressure than it was designed for and snapped. But my dealer said they would cover it and i will have it hopfully by this tuesday.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Wow that's crazy, did they say what might of caused the bearing to go? Lack of oil is all that comes to mind.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They think it was just a factory defect because i always had oil in it and its the only thing that would make sence. The bearing went when i hit the limiter showing off
lol it started to make a little sqeak so i thot it wasnt that big a deal. Then the crank went about an hour later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sorry to here of the bad luck, hondas are usually bulletproof but there is always a few w/ problems. my z400 was a piece, but my friend had one that was a troper and we road the hell out of them, maintaning them, but mine was built by the kid making 6.75 an hour. i have a yfz now and its been good to me, and some yfz's are plain junk. bad apples are everywhere, there's no way of avoiding them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts