Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody's else 450r engine is a little noisy idling? It almost sounds like a knocking sound but it been like that since i bought it so i just figure thats just how its suppose to sound. Also how is your all's bottom end power? I went riding for the first time yesterday(after my break in period) and while trying to do dounuts in 2nd gear,in sand,it would just start bogging down. Then trying to go into burms in second,going in a little easy and then nailing it once in it,it just kind of stumbles and spark knocks some and then finally takes off.I usually had to use first gear for just about everything under 20 mph were you have to speed up and slow down.I've got a 13t sprocket on front and am thinking about going a little bigger in back to make the bottom end feel better. I also replaced my gas today thinking the spark knock was coming from bad gas. I also seen when there ars different spark plugs to run for riding conditions,which one's do you all use?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Your R sounds normal to me. All of the R's that I have heard (three) sound the way you described. I used to think that something was wrong with mine too, until I heard a few others. The almost non existance of low end power is also normal in my opinion. Try dounuts in first and when you hit a burm in second, don't slow down. You have to keep the rpms high a let it fly. If you go back to your 14 tooth front, you will find first gear a lot more usefull also. Just my opinion. I don't know much about the plugs. I was told to stick with the stock plug (not as hot) unless I was going to race Tim Farr or something.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i may go back to the 14t sprocket and see how it does. The only thing is on the wooded trails at St Joe State Park are tight and rutted in some spots and you need a little extra gearing(i hate slipping the clutch so much). I guess doing some mods could help out the bottom end some also.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Best mod you can do is pipe it to increase the low end. I had the same problem trail riding though. I felt like everyone was crawling too slow. I was in first gear lugging it, so I let my buddies go way ahead or I lead. One thing we need to remember, this is not exactly a trail bike, this baby wants to race! Iam going to put a 39 on the rear (just don't want to tear it down that far yet) I'll let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by twgracer@Jun 17 2004, 06:11 PM
Best mod you can do is pipe it to increase the low end.  I had the same problem trail riding though.  I felt like everyone was crawling too slow.  I was in first gear lugging it, so I let my buddies go way ahead or I lead.  One thing we need to remember, this is not exactly a trail bike, this baby wants to race!  Iam going to put a 39 on the rear (just don't want to tear it down that far yet)  I'll let ya know how it goes.
I thought about putting a 39 on back also. I also feel the same about the trail riding as you. I'm going to start looking at pipe's and air filter(boxes and lid)also

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I ride at St.Joe state park, and I highly recommend the 13 tooth sprocket...speacially if you are going to go up in the wood trails....your 450r is running perfect in my opionion....thats they way its supposed to be...you just need to get some more practice with it and you will fiqure it out....In order for you to do donuts in 2nd gear with this bike, you will have to be doing mach 2. Even with the 13 tooth front sprocket this machine is still geared higher then any other....the engine is pinging and making those noises because you are lugging the motor at almost an idle....this motor wants some RPM's under it...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah,thats kind of what i figure. I'm new to this bike and have just started riding again after being out of this stuff for ten years or so. I think i need to just ride more and learn the characteristics of the engine ALOT BETTER! I think I'm going to go ahead and look into a power package(complete pipe,air filter and jet kit) and see if i can get alittle more lowend and midrange power.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Bmac@Jun 18 2004, 01:09 PM
Yeah,thats kind of what i figure. I'm new to this bike and have just started riding again after being out of this stuff for ten years or so. I think i need to just ride more and learn the characteristics of the engine ALOT BETTER! I think I'm going to go ahead and look into a power package(complete pipe,air filter and jet kit) and see if i can get alittle more lowend and midrange power.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=7590
[/quote]
YEAH,I THOUGHT SOME THING WAS WRONG WITH MY R WHEN I FIRST GOT IT TOO.THE STALLING,CHUGGING,AND LUGGING.IT SEAMS LIKE FIRST GEAR WAS ABOUT 30 MPH.THE FIRST THING I DID WAS 13 ON THE FRONT SPROCKET.IT WAS BETTER,THEN 39 ON REAR.IT WAS LESS NOTICEABLE FOR THE REAR.BUT WHEN I GEARED THE SPROCKETS DOWN,I TOOK THE POWER CURVE OUT OF THE MOTOR.SO THEN I INSTALLED THE HRC KIT,AND STAGE 2 PORTING.IT SEAMED BETTER.LOT MORE POWER,BUT LOW END WAS STILL A PROBLEM.I TRIED POWER NOW,AIR FILTER SET-UP,REV BOX.FINALLY I INSTALLED A HMF FULL SYSTEM,AND PUT MY GEARING BACK TO STOCK.WOW IT'S FIXED.MY OPINION IS TO TRY THE HMF FULL EXHAUST AND JET KIT.LOW END JUST RIPPS U RIGHT OUT OF THE HOLE NOW.SO I CALLED HMF THEY SAID HMF FULL SYSTEM GIVES U 4-LOW,4-MID,2TOP END HORSE POWER.THE HEAD PIPE IS ABOUT 1/2 INCH BIGGER IN DIAMETER.HMF ALSO HAS GOOD TECH SUPPORT ON THERE WEB SITE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts