Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just bought a 05 450r and im wanting to do some motor work to it but i dont have any ecperiance with small engines can anyone help me out a little...i just ordered a stage2 hot cam and wanted to know what else i need to do to the motor to help the cam out..im hearing alot about porting and polishing the head out..also do i need to jet the motor or does that matter that much? If theres anyother pointers you can give me i would really appreciate it!! thanks

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
a good starting point would be the HC2 like you got, full exhaust, and remove the airbox lid, and get a hrc jet kit and it will wake ur bike up tremendously!

then id slap a aftermarket piston in or go big bore , depends if u mind paying atleast 7dollars per gallon for race gas will determine ur piston compression ratio..

probally stick around 12.1 if u wanna continue using pump gas

the once that is all done go with port and polishing, its all a combo !

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Hi i just bought a 05 450r and im wanting to do some motor work to it but i dont have any ecperiance with small engines can anyone help me out a little...i just ordered a stage2 hot cam and wanted to know what else i need to do to the motor to help the cam out..im hearing alot about porting and polishing the head out..also do i need to jet the motor or does that matter that much? If theres anyother pointers you can give me i would really appreciate it!! thanks[/b]
something i have learned after doing all the work i have................ really think about how you want your quad to be when your done adding parts. meaning...... if you would like a big bore in the future, hold off on buying a stock bore piston. safe yourself the added expense. save your money and do as much as you can at one time.

or..

buy bolt on parts that you will use in the future and not have to change........ like...... a nice cam (as you have done), nice exhaust, intake, carb, cdi box, etc. just my .02.

its more cost effective to do engine work one time. when you port, add the piston or big bore. saves on gasket expense, time, and money.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tips guys very helpfull...so i dont apsolutly have to get my head ported at this moment with the hot cam?? I would wanna get it ported and polished if i got a big bore kit is what your saying?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
thanks for the tips guys very helpfull...so i dont apsolutly have to get my head ported at this moment with the hot cam?? I would wanna get it ported and polished if i got a big bore kit is what your saying?[/b]
The next step is to definitly get the head done. 90% of the power increase in these motors is in the head. Go with one of the Pro's like Sparks, Dasa or Rage. It's not uncommon to see guys bore and stroke themselves to death to get nowhere, spending thousands of dollars and never move forward.

Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
thanks for the tips guys very helpfull...so i dont apsolutly have to get my head ported at this moment with the hot cam?? I would wanna get it ported and polished if i got a big bore kit is what your saying?[/b]

not exactly............. i meant that if you want to port and possibly add the big bore, try to do them together. only one teardown to add both pieces. saves time, gaskets, and money.

or

just add a higher comp stock bore piston if thats what you want.

whatever works for you. when the head is off for the porting, that's the best time for a piston swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts