Honda TRX 450R banner

Dyno Tune - Tire options... Brand and Size

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  zach648 
#1 ·
Need some input please....

What is the cheapest wheels you can get for Dyno tuning? And should they be balanced? Also, what size is best?

I've been shopping around and do not want to spend big money on some American Racing or Hoosier tires. Would Duro Top Fighters work?
Are they heavy tires?

I can get the Duro's through RMATV mounted on some Douglas .125 wheels for under $200. 21-10-10's are the cheapest followed by the 20-11-9's.

Any other options out there?

I'm asking because I found a place with a brand new A/FR equiped Dynojet 250ix ATV dyno. Only problem is that they do not have dyno wheels yet :thumbdown: ... and I do not want to wait.

#2 ·
that is the funniest sh!t of all time......

i've said it for years....and it never stops happening.....

places will spend around $18,000.00 freakin' dollars on a dyno + computer+ A\FR setup......

and then NOT EVER spend the 200~300 dollars to get a tire and wheel setup that allows the ATV's to actullay hook up tot he roller for any sort of accurate readings.......

first clue on this is to also not count on a shop that doesn't even have or use the correct tire setups.... to know anything about anything else they are doing either......

and now...about the tire question......

knobby tires just plain don't adhere to a dyno roller....not at all....just the same as you don't see street superbikes with big knobby tires to run on the smooth surface of the street..they also add rolling resistance besides their slip...and they weigh a lot because of all the extra rubber it takes to make the knobs.... so the tire itself adds an inertial drag......

none of which you want to deal with when you are trying to accurately measure the output of your engine...

on the oher hand....

pretty much any non knobby tire will work well...it doesn't have to be american racers or hoosiers....

i believe Tony Tice uses duro TT type tires on his setup...and is quite happy with them....

i think your best\ most inexpensive setup would be to get a set of Duro TT type tires mounted on douglas blue label wheels from Rocky Mountain ATV.....

balancing could play a roll...if the tires are hopping around on the roller like a one legged paint mixer... you will be losing adhesion while you are adding rolling resistance....and neither one is good...

#3 ·

places will spend around $18,000.00 freakin' dollars on a dyno + computer+ A\FR setup......

and then NOT EVER spend the 200~300 dollars to get a tire and wheel setup that allows the ATV's to actullay hook up tot he roller for any sort of accurate readings.......

first clue on this is to also not count on a shop that doesn't even have or use the correct tire setups.... to know anything about anything else they are doing either......[/b]
Because as you know....................
When you are opening a new shop, all things converge on a perfect timeline. There are NEVER any delays in shipping, available stock, or even available funds to have EVERYTHING you want on the shelf for the grand opening. Not to mention that in going through all the loopholes in California of getting the business license, the sellers permit, the dept of consumer affairs, the state EPA cert, the local EPA cert, and a building lease............................you will never miss ANYTHING on your shopping list.
So don't go there. They suck.

Or...................

Perhaps.....................

Maybe these guys will be great and go out of there way to help you because you are one of the first to give them some business.

I'm asking because I found a place with a brand new A/FR equiped Dynojet 250ix ATV dyno. Only problem is that they do not have dyno wheels yet :thumbdown: ... and I do not want to wait.[/b]
Sounds like you already know they make a difference.
Can't wait to see what she pulls!!!

#5 ·

first clue on this is to also not count on a shop that doesn't even have or use the correct tire setups.... to know anything about anything else they are doing either......[/b]
Because as you know....................
When you are opening a new shop, all things converge on a perfect timeline. There are NEVER any delays in shipping, available stock, or even available funds to have EVERYTHING you want on the shelf for the grand opening. Not to mention that in going through all the loopholes in California of getting the business license, the sellers permit, the dept of consumer affairs, the state EPA cert, the local EPA cert, and a building lease............................you will never miss ANYTHING on your shopping list.
So don't go there. They suck.

Or...................

Perhaps.....................

Maybe these guys will be great and go out of there way to help you because you are one of the first to give them some business.

I'm asking because I found a place with a brand new A/FR equiped Dynojet 250ix ATV dyno. Only problem is that they do not have dyno wheels yet :thumbdown: ... and I do not want to wait.[/b]
Sounds like you already know they make a difference.
Can't wait to see what she pulls!!!
[/b]

i have to say that i personally have always found it much easier to buy tires than it is to buy and ship dynos..... and i guess i just thought i'd better count tires as part of the package of what i would need...since i bought my own dynos after doing lots of testing on other shops dynos, the thought of what to use as tires wasn't an afterthought....plus the people who sell dynos are pretty clear on telling you what to use to make their equipment accurate.....

it isn't like the dyno shopping list is endless...or complicated either.... you get everything BUT the tires from your dyno maker...and from the time you order the dyno, you have quite a few weeks to buy some tires to make it all worthwhile...

"let's see..... shopping list check...got all the dyno stuff all on order...check!... but there's something else i needed to get on my own....something that makes it all work.....Hmmmmmmmm......HmMMMMM....think think think.....damn...even though i'm about to be a speed shop expert with a dyno.... i just can't pull it out!!!"

i was mainly referring to shops that operate permanently without correct tires.... and as you well know...there is an endless supply of those shops.....

#6 ·
you know, jesse\knowpig...

i took the time to answer the question.... added stuff to think about....and told people what to look for....

but it seems like you only read what you wanted to read in all of that....

i never said anyone sucked.... just that they don't have their A-Game on yet...which was only re-stating the obvious in a dyno shop without proper tires..... i would omagine that any shop with a dyno could also easily order some tires...or borrow some if for whatever reason they can't buy them....and that could also be an indicator of the experience\preparedness someone MIGHT expect when needing tuning on said equipment...

not unlike opening a paint shop....and having all the best tools brand new.... but no air compressor.....maybe you should let a few cars roll out of the paint booth before you put your '68 Vette in the lineup

#7 ·
balancing could play a roll...if the tires are hopping around on the roller like a one legged paint mixer... you will be losing adhesion while you are adding rolling resistance....and neither one is good...[/b]
just about all my dyno runs with the +6 swinger my tires were hopping.....i had a bent rim too.......but it still pulled good power

i took the tires to geralds and they balanced them for me,but i never got a chance to redyno it afterwards.....really i did not think it made any difference if they were hopping alittle

only reason i had them balanced was because the bike was shaking>>REALLY BAD at high speed

#8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I should note that when I spoke to the shops owner and told him I had a TRX450R, he asked me if I had any street tires for it. He said that he had not yet had a Honda on his new dyno and had no wheels for them yet. He went on to say that I should not dyno tune without good dyno tires.

I was hoping to visit Steve Polk @ Pinit Motorsports for Dyno tuning but he moved shops and decided not to set-up the dyno at the new place. He wants to turn it into a mobil dyno but said he's a year away from doing so.

I actually only found 1 place within a few hours from me that had a a/fr equipt atv dyno and some Honda dyno wheels. And that shop in the SAC area mainly deals with Banshees. Problem is that they wanted me to drop off my R and leave it for 2 weeks. And they do not let the customers watch any of the tuning. That.... is not for me.

The shop I'm going to will not only tune it on the spot, but they will let me watch and also let me make any needed changes myself. Just need to wheel the R outside to do so for insurance reasons.

So anyways, Duro's it is. And I'll check with America's Tire Co. and Tires Les Schwab about getting them balanced. Both those places now sell ATV tires.

Thanks again for the feedback.

#10 ·
I don't know how it is with most places, but at KMS here in AZ they have one pair of dyno tires and the wheels are drilled to fit all the sport quads. Seems like the most economical way of doing it. Metal Tech here in AZ is the company that drilled the wheels for them. They have a fancy jig that they use for drilling the wheels.

#11 ·
places will spend around $18,000.00 freakin' dollars on a dyno + computer+ A\FR setup.[/b]

The cheapest Dynojet I've found so fair was 28,000.00 w/ A/FR setup. Which doesn't include shipping or installation.

We are working really hard to get a mobile dyno soon that can accurately measure ATVs,Motorcycles,Side x Sides, and go carts.

The main reason why we want a dyno for out customers is to get them dialed in correctly. Seems like every other 450 I ride on the trail it has a bad spot where adjusting the fuel could cure the problem. ( I hardly ever ride my own bike lol )

#14 ·
you know, jesse\knowpig...

i took the time to answer the question.... added stuff to think about....and told people what to look for....

but it seems like you only read what you wanted to read in all of that....

i never said anyone sucked.... just that they don't have their A-Game on yet...which was only re-stating the obvious in a dyno shop without proper tires..... i would omagine that any shop with a dyno could also easily order some tires...or borrow some if for whatever reason they can't buy them....and that could also be an indicator of the experience\preparedness someone MIGHT expect when needing tuning on said equipment...

not unlike opening a paint shop....and having all the best tools brand new.... but no air compressor.....maybe you should let a few cars roll out of the paint booth before you put your '68 Vette in the lineup[/b]
You're right.
My bad. Didn't realize it was you.

Nor*Cal..........................
If you had the extra time, it might be cool to see the "dyno tires" verses some "knobbies".
Good luck on the quest!

#15 ·
you should always try to run close to the same size dyno tire as you do "racing tire".
I have duro scorchers for my dyno tires on .125 blue label rims.
if i had to do it all over again i would have gotten american racers or hoosiers.
much lighter and it will give you a better reading.
but the duros will last forever as dyno tires, your grandkids grandkids will be using them on their trx1800RR's LOL

#16 ·
the duro top fighters from RM are heavy! Why not go with an 18" tire since your running 19" tires right?

And what about offering to sell the tires and wheels to the guy after you have completed the testing, mabey free testing for the tires and wheels?

25k vs 18k

7,000 in handouts must be what mixxer got from the dyno support thread huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.