Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exatcly does the DS 650 intake consist of? for the 450R. Is there any true power to be gained? Does anyone have any experience with this. Where Can I get one of these thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by KGB@Jul 9 2004, 01:06 PM
I will PM you some info.
i am interested in hearing this too. is there a reason why you can't share with all. if you don't want to go into it here, could you PM me too... please.

thanks

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you could share it for everyone. That would be great. Pict's too!

·
Registered
733 Posts
does anyone else have info on this topic? i will try to find some elsewhere and bring it back to share.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
The last time this was brought up at another site, certain people from this site, ripped the guy who came up with it, a new a hole. Go over to the Compound and its all there.

·
Registered
733 Posts
here's a 450r intake question... what does the "air chamber" do? it is the white plastic box between the air box and carb. i noticed that the 400ex does not have one.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think it like, chamber's air like for the intake...

·
Registered
733 Posts
oh... now i get it. what the heck would we do without chambered air?!? :lol:
:mellow: :huh: j/k

so... why chamber air?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The white box is a resonator, it helps quite the motor. Late models 250r's had these also. No power advantage.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Here I found this on another site ^_^

I don't see anything wrong with the setup. Looks great for dunes!!

DS650 Intake

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r+Jul 12 2004, 11:51 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-KGB
@Jul 11 2004, 05:18 PM
The last time this was brought up at another site, certain people from this site, ripped the guy who came up with it, a new a hole. Go over to the Compound and its all there.
We won't be having any ripping of holes over here KGB ... Let's hear it ... Enquiring people want to know ... Unless it's a Racer's Trade-Secret then we understand your silence ... :)

--------

Oh and on the resonator ... I have looked at it and it "might" also help response ... It is a common thing in late model trucks/cars to have large anti-resonation chambers and they also provide reserve air ... The idea is that the more SA there is in the intake, the more air there is for immediate use ... Because it takes a slight amount of time for the air to come through the filter into the box and get to the carb/TB, it helps off-idle response ... Don't know if it applies to bikes though ... I wouldn't see why not ... :(

~ [/b]
you nailed it...its all about air on reserve.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
i dont see where any1 was getting bashed...maybe i didnt see the sarcasm in a few responses as bashing really...more people were curious then bashing

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by TRX450rlude+Jul 12 2004, 06:19 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2004, 11:51 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-KGB
@Jul 11 2004, 05:18 PM

We won't be having any ripping of holes over here KGB ... Let's hear it ... Enquiring people want to know ... Unless it's a Racer's Trade-Secret then we understand your silence ... :)

--------

Oh and on the resonator ... I have looked at it and it "might" also help response ... It is a common thing in late model trucks/cars to have large anti-resonation chambers and they also provide reserve air ... The idea is that the more SA there is in the intake, the more air there is for immediate use ... Because it takes a slight amount of time for the air to come through the filter into the box and get to the carb/TB, it helps off-idle response ... Don't know if it applies to bikes though ... I wouldn't see why not ... :(

~
you nailed it...its all about air on reserve. [/b]
aha... a resonator. thanks guys! i think i'll keep it.

and... i like the ds650 intake mod, but i ride in too much mud to take off my box for now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
One problem with that is the DS650's had issues with the air intake collapsing when you suddenly applied throttle. The suction caused it. I had my old DS650's intake ziptied with some meaty zip ties in between each rib to help but it still did it a little bit. If anyone tries this intake mod check it out when you suddenly give it gas from idle. It does it worse when there is a load on the bike but you'll get the idea in neutral. It may not be as bad with the 450's since they are smaller motors but since they rap up quicker the problem may still be there.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
The DS earlier models had a much thinner rubber boot. The 2001 and newer have the improved adn reinforced boot. Thats what I have.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by KGB@Jul 19 2004, 11:22 PM
The DS earlier models had a much thinner rubber boot. The 2001 and newer have the improved adn reinforced boot. Thats what I have.
Well mine was a late model '01 and it still clamped shut a few times on me. I would still zip tie it to get the full effect. There have been many talks about this on ATVConnection and a few of my buddies have '04 Baja's and they too had the same problems so I dont think the later models are considered any better. BTW, just my SOTP dyno showed a slight more power after the zip ties.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
You also have to cut the overall length down significantly to make this work, the tube is over 8 inches long in stock form, I cut maybe, 2-2/2-3" off it. It is not collapsing. There is a Ron Woods part you can get to sit inside the intake and hold it open.
Either way, the DS intake collapsed, is ALOT larger than the 450R intake not collapsed.
There have been many talks about this on ATVConnection and a few of my buddies have '04 Baja's and they too had the same problems so I dont think the later models are considered any better
I gues you have never held the two different ones in your hand, because its night and day.
Maybe I have the year wrong, maybe its 03 and newer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Maybe there is a difference, I cant say I saw any difference in mine and my buddies '04 when I zip tied his but then again I didnt take it out, I just zip tied it while still installed on the quad. I can deffinetly see how the shorter intake would help keep it from collapsing though, that thing is LONG! Anyway, I was just trying to throw an FYI out there on this since I didnt see any mention of it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts