Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to clean and adjust the chain on the 450R???

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
There is really only one way to adjust it.

Cleaning it...
If you want to get it perfectly clean and brand new looking go buy a chain cutting tool (motion pro sells one), then go buy a master link for a 520 O Ring chain. Once you get the chain off you can boil it in kerosene and just watch the crud come out of it... This isn't good though because it is an O Ring chain and you want the oils and lubes to stay inside of the oring... I just take mine off and clean it well with an easy degreaser or simple green then give it a good soaking in the oil that i took out of the motor (before I dump it). If I am spending 4 bucks a quart and changing both sides after every ride or 2 I am gonna get my money's worth. :D

Good luck
Dave

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by Ride_Red626@Sep 30 2004, 07:59 PM

Cleaning it...
If you want to get it perfectly clean and brand new looking go buy a chain cutting tool (motion pro sells one), then go buy a master link for a 520 O Ring chain.  Once you get the chain off you can boil it in kerosene and just watch the crud come out of it... This isn't good though because it is an O Ring chain and you want the oils and lubes to stay inside of the oring...  I just take mine off and clean it well with an easy degreaser or simple green then give it a good soaking in the oil that i took out of the motor (before I dump it).  If I am spending 4 bucks a quart and changing both sides after every ride or 2 I am gonna get my money's worth. :D

Good luck
Dave
That's a interesting idea? Soaking the chain in the old engine oil before discarding it. That's pretty smart! The only things I'll ask is how long do you let the oil drain from your chain before you put it back on? Does it splatter all over the place after a ride? Just curious.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Ride_Red626@Sep 30 2004, 07:59 PM

Cleaning it...
If you want to get it perfectly clean and brand new looking go buy a chain cutting tool (motion pro sells one), then go buy a master link for a 520 O Ring chain.  Once you get the chain off you can boil it in kerosene and just watch the crud come out of it... This isn't good though because it is an O Ring chain and you want the oils and lubes to stay inside of the oring...  I just take mine off and clean it well with an easy degreaser or simple green then give it a good soaking in the oil that i took out of the motor (before I dump it).  If I am spending 4 bucks a quart and changing both sides after every ride or 2 I am gonna get my money's worth. :D

Good luck
Dave
Thanks for the info on cleaning the chain I will use the old oil, as for adjusting the chain I figured that much, I thought there was some perfect slack length.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by trujeepr+Sep 30 2004, 08:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ride_Red626
@Sep 30 2004, 07:59 PM

Cleaning it...

Good luck
Dave
Thanks for the info on cleaning the chain I will use the old oil, as for adjusting the chain I figured that much, I thought there was some perfect slack length.

Thanks again. [/b]
3/4" to 1" slack on the chain adjustment.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again, it will be helpful, as I will go riding this weekend and I will clean the chain and check for porper slack.

what do you think of thoes colord chains????

and where can I find one of thoes 2inch exhaust baffles by it self?????

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
The baffels you will probably be able to find on ebay. Otherwise your going to have to buy it in a kit from honda....but there is probably a few on ebay.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i disagree with the kerosene bit... you have to use a cleaner that will be compatible with the rubber o-rings... no petrolium products............... lube with factory recommended 80W90 gear oil

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I just spray simple green all over it,, let it soak and then wash it off and then spray chain lube back on it. Works for me and I've never had a chain break yet.
As far as the chain adjustment... Like Quadboy said 3/4 to 1 inch slack. That's it!! :D

You can also use carb cleaner on the chain to clean it... :)

Rico

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Originally posted by trujeepr@Sep 30 2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks again, it will be helpful, as I will go riding this weekend and I will clean the chain and check for porper slack.

Thanks in advance,
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21200
[/quote]

I take it you are talking about the HRC exhaust tip??? I have one new in the box $35 plus shipping, I take PayPal too. Its listed in the For Sale section too.

Corey

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by #8trx450r+Dec 2 2004, 09:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-trujeepr
@Sep 30 2004, 11:07 PM

Thanks in advance,
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21200

I take it you are talking about the HRC exhaust tip??? I have one new in the box $35 plus shipping, I take PayPal too. Its listed in the For Sale section too.

Corey
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36321
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the offer but, I bought TrX450rKiD's.

Chuck

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD@Dec 3 2004, 09:29 PM
Chuck .. did you get the popping settled .. or are you still having problems?

-The Kid-
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36661
[/quote]

Thanks for thinking of that but, I haven't rode since last week, I think there is still a problem but, I'm not sure, it runs great except for letting off the throttle, I'll let you know after I go out again.

Thanks again,

Chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts