Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so tell me guys how do you keep the r down for drag racing i took it to a track and every time i launched i wheelied like unreal.i probally weigh about 215 but i even set on the gas tank and it done the same.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
shift sooner...as soon as the front comes up...shift it...thats how...what did you run...I ran 8.4 at 70 all stock, except for jetting.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The best thing you can do to keep the front end down is to lower the quad.

Lude, you sure that wasn't a 9.4 -- your speed is more inline for that ET than 8.4 in the 1/8th mile.

Here is a timeslip from me running my Cannondale vs an older YZ250. Cannondale on the right.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Adjust your back shock to be a little soft and the front end will stay down a little better. Also, I'm sure you know!! Stay on the tank until you get into second gear then move to the back of your seat!! :D

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I use 250x/300ex shocks on the front and a 400ex lowering strut on the rear and you can come out of the hole wide open without worrying about the front coming up.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Sep 15 2004, 12:13 PM
The best thing you can do to keep the front end down is to lower the quad. 

Lude, you sure that wasn't a 9.4 -- your speed is more inline for that ET than 8.4 in the 1/8th mile.

Here is a timeslip from me running my Cannondale vs an older YZ250.   Cannondale on the right.
positive, I still have the time slip, I just dont have a scanner....8.4 at 70 was my best time. 8.9 at 68 was my worst time....on my best time, I had a 60 ft time of 1.9 and a reaction time of .2....my other friend was with me, he was running a all stock non hrc kit 450r, and he was pulling 8.7 at best........and yes this was in the 1/8 mile......I can also show you my worst times and they are all better then a 9....

edit:
I just thought of something...I will take a pic of my timesheets with my digital camera and just post the pic on here instead of scanning the time slips....I will try to get it posted tonight....later.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
A full second difference should show *a lot* more speed.

My Cannondale drag times were inline in drag times with 450R's and YFZs so there shouldn't be any discrepencies there.

As far as drag racing goes - to have an 8.4 1/8th mile, you should be in the low/mid 80's as far as MPH goes.

70mph in the 1/8th mile will put you near (or to the high side) of 9.5... In fact, to turn an 8.5 1/8th mile you need to have about 50 HP at the rear tires.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Sep 15 2004, 02:12 PM
A full second difference should show *a lot* more speed.

My Cannondale drag times were inline in drag times with 450R's and YFZs so there shouldn't be any discrepencies there.

As far as drag racing goes - to have an 8.4 1/8th mile, you should be in the low/mid 80's as far as MPH goes.

70mph in the 1/8th mile will put you near (or to the high side) of 9.5
well gabe, your obviously wrong, or KCIR's clocks are screwed up....I will show you the time slips.....I dont have them with me rightnow...Im at work, and they are at home...

By the way gabe....I am racing on concrete...not dirt...could that be the difference.....

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My timeslips are all from asphalt/concrete tracks as is the data I'm presenting.

Apparently my experience, the rest of the world (look up some times for yourself, there's plenty of data on the web), and all the HP/weight/time calculators people have built using the laws of physics & years of experience are all wrong?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Sep 15 2004, 02:18 PM
Apparently my experience, the rest of the world (look up some times for yourself, there's plenty of data on the web), and all the HP/weight/time calculators people have built using the laws of physics & years of experience are all wrong?
I made a edit...please re-read the last post.....I really dont care what youve looked up or what the web says...I have the time slips to prove it...My other friend was pulling 8.9 on his Raptor....Maybe the clocks there are off or something...But I will show you the time slips...then what will the excuse be...

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
also, My friends with the Raptor, and the other with the other 450r have been there a couple more times...Only they started tieing thier front ends down, and now they are running 7.4...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just sit up on the tank and ride the clutch instead of dropping it...300ft I run 5.70s but that was my first times...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I'm not disputing your time- nor am I just telling you what I've calculated or what I've seen on the web -- I have personal experience as well that somehow follows the calculators and what others on the web have experienced. I'm just saying the numbers you are quoting seem to indicate a problem somewhere.

Speed follows ET pretty closely (and amazingly enough, vice versa). If one or the other is out of line, there is generally a problem somewhere. Be it bad timing, tirespin, gearing, etc... The thing is, tirespin off the line issues will show up as high MPH (in respect to ET). Gearing problems like being too low geared, will show up as low MPH (which is what you've got) --- however, your 60' times do not reflect the hard acceleration that would be required to run an 8.4 at only 70mph.

I'll be intrested to look at your timesheet to see where the discrepency is at.

7.4 in the 1/8th mile is VERY fast - it's the equivelent of running an 11sec quarter mile --- quickly nearing YZF-R1 territory --- Last I checked it was very difficult to get 150hp out of a Raptor or 450R (actually more since you'd be dealing much more wind & rolling resistance) - I'd like to see these bikes.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Guys, Guys, chill. We're here for the 450R, not to argue. You guys are on the same team and there is no I in TEAM. So chill out. Take a deep breath and don't argue. Your friendly 450R dude! Make love not war!!!!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Not arguing - just making some points, relating my experience at the strip & what I know about the subject...

Fatboy --- is 5.7 a total time or ET? I've run 5.7 total time on 300' of dirt @ 55mph - My best ET is a low 5.1

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Sep 15 2004, 03:34 PM
I'm not disputing your time- nor am I just telling you what I've calculated or what I've seen on the web -- I have personal experience as well that somehow follows the calculators and what others on the web have experienced.  I'm just saying the numbers you are quoting seem to indicate a problem somewhere.

i've got $100 on gabe. da rules of physics is da rules.

time sheets can say whatever they want . if it's not possible, it's simply not possible. timekeeping, like dynos are only to be used for comparison 1to1 if at the same place, same day.

rather than telling gabe he is obviously wrong, a more valid argument would be to state that "that is what my track reads and i can beat this many machines in doing these times." to believe that these times are concrete and irrefutable merely because they would prove universal superiority to all who run at a particular track and the REST of the world is slower is a little silly, don't you think?

why wouldn't someone look at the facts gabe presented and say" hhhmmmmmm
you may be right about this, let's investigate so we'll both know a little more in the end."

..............mixxer

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I'm not disputing your time- nor am I just telling you what I've calculated or what I've seen on the web -- I have personal experience as well that somehow follows the calculators and what others on the web have experienced.  I'm just saying the numbers you are quoting seem to indicate a problem somewhere.

i've got $100 on gabe. da rules of physics is da rules.

time sheets can say whatever they want . if it's not possible, it's simply not possible. timekeeping, like dynos are only to be used for comparison 1to1 if at the same place, same day.

rather than telling gabe he is obviously wrong, a more valid argument would be to state that "that is what my track reads and i can beat this many machines in doing these times." to believe that these times are concrete and irrefutable merely because they would prove universal superiority to all who run at a particular track and the REST of the world is slower is a little silly, don't you think?

why wouldn't someone look at the facts gabe presented and say" hhhmmmmmm
you may be right about this, let's investigate so we'll both know a little more in the end."

..............mixxer
Good post Mixxer.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
well guys, I wasnt arguing at all. Sometimes you need to see facial expressions for yourself.

But anyway. As usual Gabe was right. So go ahead call me a idiot, bash me what ever need to be done for my punishment....I went home lastnight and searched about 2 hrs for them damn time slips, and I finally found them...Gabe was exactly right. My best time was a 9.4, and it was only at 66 mph, not 70. I had a reaction time of .2, and a 60 ft of 1.9........I dont know how I came up with 8.4, and I have been saying that on here for months now that I ran a 8.4. So sorry guys about the mis information. ..I could have swore I ran a 8.4 but it didnt happen. my best time was a 9.4 and my worst time was a 9.9..but that was my first run...I can still post these time slips if anyone wants to see them

Sorry gabe.....again. later.

Oh all that was done to my bike when I ran these times was no air box lid, 185 main, and a HRC end cap....I still had stock cam (not HRC), and stock needle. ...So compared to your times on your Dale, these are really good times for the 450r

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r@Sep 16 2004, 09:52 AM
Ok lude, now I expect you to go back and correct all your posts ... LOL
I would if I could find them all...I bet there is about 4 of them where I said I ran a 8.4........I really thought that to be true...I dont know how I got so skewed on that....I think I will go ahead and post the time slips cause now I feel like a idiot.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r+Sep 16 2004, 09:57 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2004, 07:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-desert_450r
@Sep 16 2004, 09:52 AM
Ok lude, now I expect you to go back and correct all your posts ... LOL

I would if I could find them all...I bet there is about 4 of them where I said I ran a 8.4........I really thought that to be true...I dont know how I got so skewed on that....I think I will go ahead and post the time slips cause now I feel like a idiot.
It happens to the best of us ... Too bad you don't have Clinton talent ... And the meaning of is --- IS ... LOL [/b]
"I did not have sexual realtions with that women"

1 - 20 of 37 Posts