Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I wanna say Hi for all Honda members here :). i just bought my 450r and im happy with it.. im drag racing and im looking for DRAG STUFF HERE :)

as i see i should get the those :-

1- HRC kit ( any shop with good price ? )
2- Exhaust system ( i notice that HMF BB and sparks r the most make ppl happy here) ?
3- Cams ( i see HRC , sparks and hotcam )
3- sprockets ( get 13 in front to pull harder )
4- big bore kits ( i see that MAX-Power have 480kit , FST with 500 kit and nmotiontechnology have 520 kit )
5- stroker kit ( Falicon intend to release Stroker / Big Bore kit for the trx450r soon )
6- Turbo charger ( i belive Ballistib have a turbo kit for the 450r .. 4500$ the turbo kit + exhuast steel or titanum .. and gain up to 70-80hp ) .. ITS BOLT-ON KIT!

Im drag racing in 650ft (1/8 mile ) STRIGHT DRAG RACING in DIRT ... what u recommend me guys ?

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
1- HRC kit ( any shop with good price ? )

Not a bad start... Check eBay or the classifieds here

2- Exhaust system ( i notice that HMF BB and sparks r the most make ppl happy here) ?

Both those pipes will produce nice gains - there are many others as well.

3- Cams ( i see HRC , sparks and hotcam )

For drag racing, HRC, Megacycle, or Web. The Sparks and Hotcams are too mild.

3- sprockets ( get 13 in front to pull harder )

No. If anything, after you're developing more power you'll need to gear up. This will also depend on your tire choice.

4- big bore kits ( i see that MAX-Power have 480kit , FST with 500 kit and nmotiontechnology have 520 kit )

Bang for the buck, I'd have to say FST & Max power - both look to be good setups for the money... The nmotion kit looks like a lot more money for little more gain.

5- stroker kit ( Falicon intend to release Stroker / Big Bore kit for the trx450r soon )

Depends on what you're looking for. A stroker in this engine will hurt it's quick revving, ultrawide power delivery and it's top end potential but will increase torque. But for strictly drag racing, you don't really need wide power delivery, a stronger, peakier power band (when comparing like engines) will accelerate harder.

6- Turbo charger ( i belive Ballistib have a turbo kit for the 450r .. 4500$ the turbo kit + exhuast steel or titanum .. and gain up to 70-80hp ) .. ITS BOLT-ON KIT!

Again, depends on what you're looking for. If you want only a drag quad that you have to tune and screw with all the time - then maybe this would be a good option.

Then again, if this is what you're concerned with - why not buy a Banshee, they're still the best drag bikes out there.

Im drag racing in 650ft (1/8 mile ) STRIGHT DRAG RACING in DIRT ... what u recommend me guys ?

Again, it depends on what all you want out of this quad and what you're planning on competing with.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Looks like Gabe summed it up with awesome info like usual, the only things i would add would be a rev box that lets you rev out to about 11,000 or so and a lightened flywheel. I also feel that the 13t sprocket would not be near enough gear to finish the race without hitting the revlimiter in 5th, I run 14/39 gearing and weigh 260 lbs and I am pretty close to topping out 5th gear in a 320ft drag race.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guy :)

i know that gearing will depend on ur modificatons BUT how can u choose depending on ur weight ?

thanx

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
A heavier rider might want to gear their quad lower, it will pull their big butts around easier. Most importantly, get a couple sprockets and do some timed tests and see which works better for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Sep 4 2004, 12:53 PM

Depends on what you're looking for.  A stroker in this engine will hurt it's quick revving, ultrawide power delivery and it's top end potential but will increase torque. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17262
[/quote]

Actually, in this case I believe you will find the stroker revs _much_ better. The TRX has a rather heavy piston, wristpin and crankpin. Our crank uses the CRF-style piston and wristpin, along with a smaller crank pin to reduce surface speed of the big end bearing. You get the advantages of a stoker, yet it revs better.

Now, we did _not_ intend this setup to be used for cross country or play riding. This is a _no_kidding_ real-deal pro-level race engine. You won't see a lot of them around, since they aren't cheap and you need a professional to port the head and tune the engine. But its good enough that one AMA pro flattrack team built a custom bike around the TRX engine. The builder felt the TRX engine with our billet crank had more potentional than the 503cc CRF stroker. Makes you think...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts